Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New Rider in need of gear suggestions.

441 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  brian46012 
#1 ·
I am a new rider and am looking for suggestions at to what to buy for gear. I have decided to go with a 500 cc ninja as a starter bike, but am going to buy and put away a 600 cc or larger at the end of the season. Any suggestions on helmet (company standards etc), jacket (company textile or leather), glloves, and anything else that could be of use for a noob.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Opi,

Personal brand preference and budget are going to be your main driving forces. Ask 5 diffrent people about which gear they like and what works for them and you'll get 5 different answers.

On that note, I stick with 2 brands: Arai and Alpinestars (again, personal brand preference). They're on the steep end in terms of price but the quality is there - I know what I'm getting. Anything Arai or Alpinestars is

BTW - don't be cheap when it comes to your helmet - that 'thing' in between your ears is pretty hard to fix if you break it.

#5 ·
+1 from me for arai and alpinestars, i really like both of em as well.

for boots i had some sidi strada's for a few years and i loved them, but they started to wear out, so now i am trying out some setup gran prix's.

pants i have some draggin jeans as well as the joe rocket jeans, i like the joe rocket pair better. i also have some alpinestars twin pants which are leather, but i don't wear them as often as i should. many times i just wear jeans.

i would say that i think you should try to get the best gear that you can afford. especially as far as the lid is concerned. by a sh-- helmet and you'll never want to wear it. the other stuff you'll have for a few years as well and if you like your gearyou are that much more likely to put it on when you leave on the bike (always a good idea).

have fun with your new bike!!

#6 ·
I had ridden a 500 Ninja for quite a long time before I stepped up to the liter class. It's a fun bike, so don't discard it right away. It's a very capable bike and I had tons of fun with it.

As for gear, you'll have to do the research and wear the gear to see what fits for you. This can be an expensive sport, so purchase wisely. If you go on long rides, definitely get a 2pc leather riding suit. For warm weather, you can get an armoured mesh jacket.

Helmets have improved alot over the years. If you buy a top of the line helmet that has top certification (eg, Snell, etc) from any one of the top 10 manufacturers, you should do well. Don't let price dictate quality. You can always find a good helmet at a good price. Something more expensive may not be that much better, so do the research.
Just a thought though...no matter how much you pay for a helmet, it can only protect you so much. You have to use what's in the helmet to get you out of trouble.

Ride safe!

#7 ·
Helmets: Arai or shoei

Leathers: Hein Gericke, AGV, Fieldsheer, Kobe (Cheap leathers and will last longer then the rest)

Back protectors: Alpinestars, Dainesse, Bohn

Gloves: Teknic, held, alpinestars, joe rocket

Boots: SIDI (Hands down) Alpinestars, oxford

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.