Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my high RPMS fixed. I have another problem though. I'm riding a 98 GSXR 600. When I baught the bike i was told it needed a new speed sensor. None of the screens are lighting up and my speedometer isn't working. So i ordered a speed sensor that's what i was told by suzuki was wrong. Installed it yesterday and bam. Still doesn't work. I tried tracing the wires to the dash with no luck.

I know there's another part of the speed sensor that could be the problem. Suzuki wants me to bring it in. They will run a series of test to find out what exactly is the problem. 75.00 an hour.

so...basically anyone had this problem and can give me some tips of what i can do? It will help alot!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So apparaently i'm reading that if the speedo rotor is broken under neath the front sprocket cover that could make the spead sensor malfuction? I think i'm reading that right. Someone had a picture of the rotor

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/3078943840_6a43a936bc_o.jpg

Anyone have anymore information on how the speed rotor works and what i should be looking for when looking at it? But will that also make my digital parts of my dash not show up? My neutral light and such all work and my dash does light up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If none of the gauges or screens light up then it's NOT the speed sensor. A bad speed sensor would likely just show the bike at zero mph the whole time but its separate from the gauges power supply.

Do your brake lights and turn signals work? Theyre on the same fuse as the guage cluster. If no, replace the fuse. If the lights do work, then check the plug on the back of the cluster, make sure its tight. Verify +12v on the dark green wire, and ground on the black/brown wire. If the voltages test good, your cluster is likely bad.

Forgot to mention. The backlights and warning lights (neutral etc) are powered externally. Theyll work with a bad cluster. Though that does rule out the plug being disconnected. Check it anyway.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If none of the gauges or screens light up then it's NOT the speed sensor. A bad speed sensor would likely just show the bike at zero mph the whole time but its separate from the gauges power supply.

Do your brake lights and turn signals work? Theyre on the same fuse as the guage cluster. If no, replace the fuse. If the lights do work, then check the plug on the back of the cluster, make sure its tight. Verify +12v on the dark green wire, and ground on the black/brown wire. If the voltages test good, your cluster is likely bad.

Forgot to mention. The backlights and warning lights (neutral etc) are powered externally. Theyll work with a bad cluster. Though that does rule out the plug being disconnected. Check it anyway.
Okay so I took off my windshield. I unplugged my dashboard. We tested too see if there was current comming to the Dark Green wire and there was. We then checked the ground on the black/brown wire and that was good also.

So does that mean my Dashboard needs to be replaced?:(

Can you explain the grounding on the black/brown wire a little better? Just too make sure we did that okay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
He's referring to the plug on the back side of your guages. I had the same problem. Did the same thing to no avail. My tach even worked, does yours? Ended up getting another guage cluster off ebay & all's gravy now. Temp display & everything shows up. I'd check ebay as opposed to letting the dealer ream you. Got lucky & found one for around 20 bucks I think. Used of course but that didn't matter.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of the same thing. I'm going to a used motorcycle parts store on tuesday and trying theirs. It's on a 2000 GSXR 600...that shouldn't make a difference right? I'll let you guys know how it goes!

And yeah my tach works fine. I just think the previous owner fried something in the gauges. Tuesday can't come any sooner....

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:punkWent to the junk yard today found a speedometer off a 2000 gsxr 600. The lens were cracked and it had roadrash. I took it home and unplugged my speedometer and plugged in this one....
and...

Everything worked 100%! Speedometer, all of my screens lit up and even my gas light works now. Bulb was blown in mine. I took my speedo apart and put the good board into my speedo that didnt have roadrash so it looks brand new :)

So for future refrence for people if your speedo does'nt work and your digital screens won't light up, but neutral turning signals and everything else works it's prolly your dash! Buy a new one!

Have a good day everyone it's beautiful out i'm going riding and testing this bad boy out :punk

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured that was the problem but as soon as I saw your post that made up my mind and I gave it a try. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1 Posts

What if theres no juice on the dark green wire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts