Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

As the topic states, I'm in need of some advice and guidance... and I think this forum will have the most knowledgeable ppl for my dilemma. I'm faced with a decision to pick up a '91 Gixxer 750. It's a private sale and the seller is my girlfriend's cousin's friend. Anyhow, I know this may sound bad, but I'm kinda skeptical about the seller's honesty. As I know next to nothing about bikes (this will be my first bike), I'm going to need all the help I can get. This is going to be a long post, so please bear with me.

The Description: '91 Gixxer 750 with 26,000km. Aftermarket fairing that converted it to a single seater and projection headlights that fit only fog lights I believe. 13 000 redline (is that right?), full Hindle exhaust and header (stainless with aluminum can), some suzuki racing (?) fork. Crack on left side of lower left fairing and minor scratches on left handle bar. Bike has been stored for a few years in garage... pretty dusty.

So... I brought a friend of mine who is an avid biker but he's only familiar with Ninja's as that's all he's ever really ridden. He believes the bike has been dropped because of the crack and the handle bar scratches. The owner says it's from accidentally leaning it against a brick wall edge in his garage. The tires (metzeler?) and rims look fine as does the rest of the fairing I guess...just dirty. The battery is dead so I'm going to buy one tomorrow so we can drop it in on Friday to start the bike up.

Now, what should I be looking for when this bike starts? It hasn't been run in years and I'm sure that the oil in it and gas are very old. Will that be a problem in determining if the bike will run okay?

Also, those of you who own this bike... have you had any recurring problems? Are there any common problems I should be aware of for this bike? Are parts hard to get and do you think this will be a reliable ride for the next few years?

For the Canadians (I live in Toronto), how hard would it be for this bike to be certified if it can only have fog lights?!?! Where is there a good suzuki mechanic? What other things should I do before getting this bike? And how much is that history paper I'm supposed to purchase from the DMV... sorry, this is my first time ever purchasing a vehicle of any sort.

So is this worth while? My friend will be there to listen to the bike as it runs and he'll be listening for valve clatter and abnormalities. If he hears nothing out of the ordinary, is this bike worth $2700 CDN?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I really, really appreciate it if you can help me out!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I dunno nuthin' `bout the canadian legal stuff... but do *not* run that bike without changing the oil first... chances are it won't start with old gasoline anyway, but you don't wanna run garbage for oil in these old engines... oiling problems are really the only thing that can easily kill an old a/o gix motor. If you *really* are serious about getting it running, be prepared to change the spark-plugs, drain the fuel completely, remove, disassemble and clean the carbs. You may need to get some in-line fuel-filters too if there's any rust developing inside that tank.

As for parts, a lot of stuff is still available from suzuki, believe it or not... and there's always eBay for the other stuff. Sounds like the headlights might cause problems with the legal side of things... if so, be prepared to spend $100+ to get a used headlight assy. - those things are not cheap.

There really are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the old gixxers though... I wouldn't dream of buying anything else this old... but these things are hard to kill, and there are a lot of aftermarket/streetfighter parts still being made for them.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sorry I can't really help in the tech area(I'm new to the gixxers too)but stick with this site, the best of the best are here

I'm in T.O. also. The package you need to get is like $20. Have the guy make you a receipt for like $500 to save you on the taxes. My RZ350 was safetyed with auto driving lights, I used a auto machanic shop for my safety, the bike shops are harder on stuff like that.

The shop I use for safetys is in Scarborough, e-mail me and I can give you the name and directions.

If you don't take it, e-mail me the phone # and I have a look and probably buy it

Cheers

[ 12-05-2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: fightin-ry ]

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're not comfortable working on bikes, I would say do not buy a "sitter" bike unless it's a steal of a deal.

Any bike that's been sitting for years will need plenty of TLC. Not expensive TLC for the homebrew mechanic, but if you can't do it yourself you'll have to pay a shop to do it. That gets expensive in a hurry as shops charge an high hourly wage for labor. Just overhauling the carbs would be bad enough, it takes awhile to do this right. I bet these carbs are Gunk City with bad varnish build-up and plugged jets from the residue left behind when gasoline evaporates.

And yes, this guy is blowing smoke up your ass about the fairing, this bike has definitely hit the ground.

OTOH, if you're looking to learn about working on bikes, here's your chance! With a workshop manual in hand, you can do it, and you'll get a lot of satisfaction from wrenching on your own machine.

I don't need to pay some pizza-faced kid at the bike shop $40 an hour to drop O-rings down inside the spark plug holes, I can do that on my own.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Like coin said, it's very likely the bike is going to need some carb work, at least. That's not rocket science, but are you really prepared to jump up a few steps on the learning curve? As for the bodywork, the "fall story" is certainly possible. Look closely for other signs of damage.
The big thing is the "feeling" you have. If your instincts tell you to walk away, that's probably a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Walk away. I would very much trust your gut instincts on this one, despite any lack of knowledge you may have on bikes.

The gixxer you mention can be a great bike, but this is NOT what you want. While out here in BC, I did spend a few years in Ontario, and will guarantee you that getting this thing certified with the fogs could well be a problem.

Also, if it has been sitting, again WALK away. You'd do far better to spend twice the $$$ in the first place and get on with the job of riding, rather than constantly repairing.

FYI: don't know prices except on the coast, but you can get a mint water pumper ('94-95) for $CDN5000 out the door if you look around. The same applies to oilers.

Find a clean one that is running, licensed and up to date - save the aggro!

Good luck

[ 12-05-2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: bcjohn ]

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
2700cdn that like 250 dollars US right? All kidding aside It is a good bike but Dusty and unused it not the best thing for a GSXR. A laydown may not be bad but it all depends in how hard. Look at the tail from the rear if it looks ofset the subframe could be bent and on a 921-92 its welded on. If you are serious about it pull the drain plugs on the float bowls and drain that nasty old fuel out, Tank too. Drian the oil and refill. Pour in some fresh fuel and give her a try. It sould start without rebuilding the carbs (but you will need to do it soon). Old tires are not good so be ready to change them. Check the forks and shock for leakage around the seals. Pull the plugs and check the compression. We can not decide for you if this tis the bike for you but just give advice.
Bones

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want to say thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts. To be honest, my gut feeling was non-directional. I really wasn't sure if I should leap in and take this oppurtunity to take a gixxer 750 or back off and wait. As you can see, I'm quite anxious to own a bike though the weather won't even permit me to ride! Anyhow, after reading all your replies (from the multiple threads I've posted them in) I've come to the conclusion that I will not take the chance on this bike. Consulting with a few other people who know the owner, they've all implied that he's a compulsive liar. Not only that, but the owner of the bike was not very co-operating with changing the oil and gas. He insisted that both liquids are perfectly fine... right.

So, my thoughts now are to see what lies ahead... perhaps make the investment into something newer and finance, perhaps, a brand new bike. GSX-R600? Black and Silver?

Once again, thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts