Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New member from Vancouver BC. Not new to riding though, been a few years. I’ve started rebuilding my other bike and figured I’ll have lots of questions so might as well join here.

the wife and I both ride. she has an ‘86 gsxr 400 and an ‘06 gsxr 600. I have my ‘05 gsxr 600 and a ‘79 Kawasaki kh100el.

my 600 has been on stands for at least 2 years, but having to move has kick started and she’s finally back on the ground. Much more to come in a future build thread

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome aboard 320icar.. Hope you manage to get it going asap. What's there in your pic looks in good condition..

Al

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Welcome, from Saskatchewan, looking fwd to seeing your build, going full plastics or something else? I’m just in the finishing stages of a ‘87 1100 rebuild myself, going to go stir crazy with this Covid19 isolation with nothing to work on. I need another bike if this goes on much longer. Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rebuild thread will slowly be updated as seen here

Slowly ordering and buying parts, but the more digging I see the more parts I have to order. It would seem there’s no way this will get done for this season as the shipping and borders being closed has slammed everything to a halt.

I did move yesterday though. Went as smoothly as any move could really. Brought my kawi and gsxr over in the uhaul and got the wife’s bikes moved over today. Didn’t drop em so Thats good

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Just an fyi if your parts supplier will ship them they are being delivered cross boarder, UPS, USPS, and Canada Post are fully functioning right now. I wish the weather here was nice enough to ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello!!! I'm also from Vancouver BC. (North Van) nice to see some fellow Canadians here. Hope you are all keeping safe and well.
hey man! Trying to keep safe as much as possible. I'm essential so can’t hide away as much as I’d like to.

i live in richmond (wait, I just moved to Ladner) so I’m 10 minutes away from the US border. For us up in Canada is 1/4 the cost to ship things to Washington and just go down and pick them up. So with the borders closed and a few parts sitting there, not much I can do :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
hey man! Trying to keep safe as much as possible. I'm essential so can’t hide away as much as I’d like to.

i live in richmond (wait, I just moved to Ladner) so I’m 10 minutes away from the US border. For us up in Canada is 1/4 the cost to ship things to Washington and just go down and pick them up. So with the borders closed and a few parts sitting there, not much I can do :p
Doh! I hear ya. I usually work in the USA a few times per month (as a coach with the California Superbike School) So I'm really missing the travel, the riding and the faster paced lifestyle! That being said though, I'm home with my kids, figuring out how to home school them and keep them busy, we are getting projects done around the house and I'm learning how to appreciate the slower moments in life! Not so easy sometimes but I'm learning and finding some beautiful moments along the way.

Hopefully we can all get back to riding and enjoying our passion very soon!

Also want to say that I'm available to answer any questions anyone might have about riding tech/track days/racing/riding schools etc...home now so more time to chat online! LOL!

Stay safe :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doh! I hear ya. I usually work in the USA a few times per month (as a coach with the California Superbike School) So I'm really missing the travel, the riding and the faster paced lifestyle! That being said though, I'm home with my kids, figuring out how to home school them and keep them busy, we are getting projects done around the house and I'm learning how to appreciate the slower moments in life! Not so easy sometimes but I'm learning and finding some beautiful moments along the way.

Hopefully we can all get back to riding and enjoying our passion very soon!

Also want to say that I'm available to answer any questions anyone might have about riding tech/track days/racing/riding schools etc...home now so more time to chat online! LOL!

Stay safe :)
that’s awesome I’ll keep that in mind. I have a few buddies that rave on and on about CSS, they did it at COTA and loved every minute of it.

The one friend kept getting in trouble because with the new s1000rr’s he was relying on the electronics too much (it’s a school after all). Full abs each corner and full traction every exit lol

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
that’s awesome I’ll keep that in mind. I have a few buddies that rave on and on about CSS, they did it at COTA and loved every minute of it.

The one friend kept getting in trouble because with the new s1000rr’s he was relying on the electronics too much (it’s a school after all). Full abs each corner and full traction every exit lol
Stick him on a late 90’s Suzuki TLR, no ABS, no TC, gobs of wheel spinning torque, you learn throttle control very fast, lol. Happy riding.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Yes, you would love the school! It's super fun and you learn a ton as well so it's kinda a win win for everyone involved. Including coaches because well.....dream job! :)

HA! As it is a school we keep careful and close eyes on ALL students to monitor how they are riding and to make sure that everyone stays safe. This sometimes means that we pull in students for close passing or riding above their skill level. There is no speed limit per say, go as fast as you are able provided you are demonstrating that you are actually working on the drill AND following the track rules. If someone looks to be at the limit OR relying on electronics too much (pretty common really) we will pull them in and educate them on what's going on and then ensure that they make some changes! The BMW S1000's are pretty incredible machines to ride! Glad they go to do COTA as I wasn't even able to make it there and we don't coach there anymore :(

Anyway, hope y'all are staying safe! Anyone doing any riding currently? I'm hoping to get out on the dirt bike soon.....sooooo desperate to ride!

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Anyway, hope y'all are staying safe! Anyone doing any riding currently? I'm hoping to get out on the dirt bike soon.....sooooo desperate to ride!
Luckily in SK things are relatively quiet on the Covid19 front, what little running around that I need to do on a weekly basis I’m trying to do on the bike just to get some enjoyment while being out.

Happy riding from what is currently my temporary home office.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just finished getting the k6 600 ready for the season and still building my k5. Last Tuesday I picked up my new alpinestars suit from Modern, but purposely chose a size down so I have to lose weight to fit it better .

You mention dirt, i was just on the Popkum Motorsports park website looking up lessons but due to the covid they have closed their doors temporarily. Been wanting to get out and learn the dirt for many years. My friends have gone out to chilliwack mountains or something with a guy Bill Hichon (if I remember correctly) who does full riding training days. Something I always wanted to do but schedules always conflicted

the wife just gave birth Friday though so seems like I’ll be off riding for a few weeks while the baby is in the NICU

·
Registered
294 Posts
just finished getting the k6 600 ready for the season and still building my k5. Last Tuesday I picked up my new alpinestars suit from Modern, but purposely chose a size down so I have to lose weight to fit it better .

You mention dirt, i was just on the Popkum Motorsports park website looking up lessons but due to the covid they have closed their doors temporarily. Been wanting to get out and learn the dirt for many years. My friends have gone out to chilliwack mountains or something with a guy Bill Hichon (if I remember correctly) who does full riding training days. Something I always wanted to do but schedules always conflicted

the wife just gave birth Friday though so seems like I’ll be off riding for a few weeks while the baby is in the NICU
Are you racing the 600 or doing track days or just getting it ready to ride on the street?

I have a YZ 125 and occasionally go to Popkum or Green River MX in Pemberton but have just recently gotten into trail riding with the Squamish Dirtbike Association and it is SO MUCH FUN!! I can't believe the amazing system of trails that are active in Squamish and how much fun trail riding is. It's been so refreshing to only have to drive about an hour to Squamish (from North Vancouver) instead of always having to drive to Chilliwack or Pemberton to ride!

I know Bill.

There is also Pacific riding school that does an Enduro course for beginners. I took it last year in order to write a story for it in Motorcycle Mojo Magazine. It was helpful for sure!

All the best with the new baby and let me know if you want some help in the dirt sometimes! (I'm no pro in the dirt but I'm ok at teaching the basics and helping new riders out :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts