1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
Yup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder the same. However my bike is a EU version.
Then I need to disable the immobilizer for it to work if I understand correct?

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I wonder the same. However my bike is a EU version.
Then I need to disable the immobilizer for it to work if I understand correct?
Well your key not only needs to be chipped but coded for your ecu. I'm not sure if disabling the immobilizer is enough to bypass the chipped key however. The chip is read by the ecu which then if not recognized shuts down the fuel pump or keeps it from priming. I think you would likely need an ecu for a US bike or have the ECU flashed if possible if anyone can/would do it.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,714 Posts
The OP's use of "kit" suggests that he's in the UK or Australia, in which case he likely has an immobilizer. It's possible to also buy the chip and have it programmed to match the existing chipped key. Locksmiths do that. Note that the Amazon key blanks aren't plated. Plated blanks are available on ebay for very little money, i.e. $1-$2. Just make sure that the blank opens up for chip insertion if you need it. A final complication is that the Suzuki blank has an unusual shape (cross section) and some places don't have a holder that fits it.

A significantly more expensive option is to buy the key precut from Suzuki. At least that's possible in the US. But you need the code on the small tag that came with the original keys.

Note that it's risky to not have a spare for an immobilizer equipped bike as you're screwed if you lose your only key. Recovery is possible but expensive, i.e. $100's.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
Still a yes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts