Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, ive been searching for weeks, both on google, and on here (this is the main forum that pops up when i search) and yes, i tried the search bar.. well i cant find a difinitive answer and need help, with a few things.

Also, thanks for having me!

So, I have a 1995 Gixxer 1100. Bought it for $600, ran, albeit crappt. Okay, so fuel leaks everywhere. Pulled carbs, found out the enricher tubes leak from where they were press fit. Found its a common issue, and they arent serviceable. Okay, fine. Lots of people suggested JB weld. Okay, done. No more leaks from them. Rejetted carbs with brand new mikuni 117.5 jets because someone did some ghetto rigging.. soldered the dynojet jets it had and redrilled em.. yuck. Checked adjustable slide needles, theyre all set in the middle out of 7 e clip notches left em there. Resealed carbs, checked floats and valve needles while i was in there, cleaned EVERYTHING. checked diaphrams, all good. Pour gas into each of the two fuel lines while holding floats up, no leaks from needles. Sweet! Adjust float level, reassemble, install on bike, connect fuel... And they pour, i mean POUR fuel out of the air vent holes on the intake side if the venturi, and from the slide needle. Okay, readjust float level.. well i have em so low, that theyre basically always close. Still does it.

So first question, rebuild time? Possible a bad float needle seat, or needle that seems fine under the higher force of me pushing the floats up with my fingers, but shows under the smaller forces of floating up in gas? Yes, floats do float. I submerged them in water, holding them under with weights to see if they filled with water and uppon releasing weights, they floated straight to the surface, and had no water in them.

And.. second question. How can i tell if i have 1100 36mm carbs or 750 40mm carbs? Aside from measuring, which i plan to do, do they look different, or look the same? Bikes been messed with, so.. trying to figure everything out so i can get it set up right. If anyone notices anything from what ive said, or pics posted, please chime in.. i dont know gixxers all that well.. yet!

Ohh, also. I plan on replacing the carbs down the road, at some point, with 750 carbs that dont have leaky tubes, etc... But trying to make these work for now so i can atleast ride it a little before starting on tearing it down to do some uogrades and modifications.

Thank you guys in advance, heres a pic of the ugly duckling, with my cat as well.. its a work in progress, she'll be much prettier soon!
20190913_023835.jpg
20190911_192800.jpg
Snapchat-344489833.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tough, with so many unknowns...
Rebuild kits aren't terribly expensive, and would eliminate the gaskets and such.
The float needles have rubber tips that can indeed dry out or deform and not seal well.
There are also tiny springs inside them that can get gummed up, particularly if it sat with fuel in it for awhile.
Definitely worth doing a full cleaning too. The pilot jets on these get plugged up SO easily.
And check the tank for rust. Also common and if not addressed, will have you cleaning your carbs every few weeks...
Check the rubber gaskets on the 'T' fittings between the carbs (fuel inlets). Also tend to dry out with age. Mine were fine -until- I moved them. Then leak city.
While you have it apart, definitely check the intake boots. At that age, it is likely they have tiny cracks that will give you vacuum leaks.
There should be some numbers on the side of the carb body (Mikuni on one side, numbers on the other)
We could look them up that way, or you can just measure the bore. Probably quicker to throw a micrometer on it...
There are some really good posts on here on how to properly clean a carb. Worth doing a search here, too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough, with so many unknowns...
Rebuild kits aren't terribly expensive, and would eliminate the gaskets and such.
The float needles have rubber tips that can indeed dry out or deform and not seal well.
There are also tiny springs inside them that can get gummed up, particularly if it sat with fuel in it for awhile.
Definitely worth doing a full cleaning too. The pilot jets on these get plugged up SO easily.
And check the tank for rust. Also common and if not addressed, will have you cleaning your carbs every few weeks...
Check the rubber gaskets on the 'T' fittings between the carbs (fuel inlets). Also tend to dry out with age. Mine were fine -until- I moved them. Then leak city.
While you have it apart, definitely check the intake boots. At that age, it is likely they have tiny cracks that will give you vacuum leaks.
There should be some numbers on the side of the carb body (Mikuni on one side, numbers on the other)
We could look them up that way, or you can just measure the bore. Probably quicker to throw a micrometer on it...
There are some really good posts on here on how to properly clean a carb. Worth doing a search here, too...
Much appreciated, i checked boots, no leaks apparent, sprayed carb cleaner on em while its running and no change in idle or anything. I ordered a rebuild kit from my local shop, itll be here this week so im going to tear them down completely, ultrasonic clean them in my cleaner, and rebuild them. Hopefully that works, if so, i plan to order a set of 750 carbs, 750 boots, 750 air box, and the Viton A&B rebuild kits and completely tear down, ultrasonic clean, and rebuild those then put them on. Also, searchrd the carbs, and no numbers can be seen on them. Just my kuck lol. Ill throw my micrometer on them this week when i rebuild them. Any tricks to measuring them? Thank you!
20190921_223458.jpg
20190921_223450.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ultrasonic cleaning is good, but I would also visually inspect the pilot jets and the emulsion tubes.
I have a set of carb-cleaning brushes that are quite good at cleaning those tiny holes and passages. Not sure how well ultrasonic does on unplugging those.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I had mine apart, after removing all the rubber bits, I soaked them in a hot vinegar bath. I found the apple cider vinegar works like magic, and is super cheap. Even the old varnish on the exterior of the bodies cleaned up nice. Looked brand new!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Much appreciated, i checked boots, no leaks apparent, sprayed carb cleaner on em while its running and no change in idle or anything. I ordered a rebuild kit from my local shop, itll be here this week so im going to tear them down completely, ultrasonic clean them in my cleaner, and rebuild them. Hopefully that works, if so, i plan to order a set of 750 carbs, 750 boots, 750 air box, and the Viton A&B rebuild kits and completely tear down, ultrasonic clean, and rebuild those then put them on. Also, searchrd the carbs, and no numbers can be seen on them. Just my kuck lol. Ill throw my micrometer on them this week when i rebuild them. Any tricks to measuring them? Thank you! View attachment 568915 View attachment 568915 View attachment 568916
Want to sell it.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts