Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first GSX-R a few days ago... A 2008 750. I started riding about 12 years ago on a 1993 Ninja 600R. I had that thing for a long time until I got rid of it last year because it got ridden less and less until it was more in the way and a hassle to keep the carbs clean than anything else. I went about a year without a bike and didn't really miss it until I started looking at them online again... bought a Honda Rebel 250 (yeah you heard that right) and I actually like that little bike quite a bit, but it made me miss having a sport bike.

So here we are, so far I'm really liking the Gixxer! It's light years ahead of the old '93 ninja I had. As far as I can tell there aren't any problems with the bike yet, but I'm here reading and learning everything I can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is that done through adjustments on the stock suspension, or would there be aftermarket parts involved?
Also I can't figure out how to edit posts on here or else I would be combining some of these.

ETA: never mind, I figured out how to edit 🙂

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the chain does look pretty bad, I sprayed some chain lube on it but I'll look into getting a new one.

So do those lowering links just come off and that's it, or was there a part that they replaced?
Has the bike being lowered caused any damage, like from the suspension being overly compressed for example?
And finally, how do I correct the front?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know what? It just occurred to me that in the pictures of the bike that I saw before I bought it I thought I noticed that the handle bars looked higher than normal, so I bet they slid the forks up in the clamp. So is there a mark or anything on the forks indicating where they should be set? I'm at work so I can't look at it right now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like they raised the front? When you lower the front the forks stick out of the triple clamp a good bit but it looks like your's is slightly above the forks. Doesn't look like they did it evenly. The back looks quite a bit lower than the front.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Usually, just swapping the dog bones back to stock will put you back to stock. The fork tubes should both be flush with the upper clamp, caps above.
Always change sprockets with the chain, someone probably geared it too. I prefer OEM with an x-ring chain, stock ratio.
Download manuals, both owners and service. Set ALL suspension settings back to normal using the manual. Go from there.
Welcome!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input guys.

I put the suspension on the back burner for now... Been getting her caught up on some (apparently not so routine) maintenance.

Check out this original air filter, built in February of 2008.

I sure hope somebody at least changed the oil in this thing 😕

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
43 Replies
10 Participants
8you4t
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing