Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be buying a new GSX-R within the next two months. Would you all mind telling me about your bikes. Maybe you know some things I should look out for. Also it would help if I knew what is a fair price.
With any luck I will be getting a 2003 GSX-R 1000.
Thanks & Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Your going from a 600 Katana to a GSXR 1000???

·
Registered
406 Posts
600 kan-o-tuna to a gix 1000

750 at most dude trust me youll be fine i know a few people that bought 1000s and told me they wish they had there 750s back

·
Registered
103 Posts
They already said it but i'll say it again, i went from a bandit 600 to a gsxr750 last year and it blew me away. even going to a gsxr600 would blow you away. you can't use any of that power anywhere but the track. plus the 750 is a lot cheaper to insure. just do yourself a favor, don't get the 1000 and if you don't believe us, check out the "1000 first bike" post in stunts i believe. a members friend got a 1000 against advice and within a week he had crashed it and banged himself up. good luck with it and be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok ALL, you have convinced me to go with no more than the 750. I have heard the same from all the other BB's I have posted on.

Thanks for the responces.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Well you can get on a 1k, but it all depends on your maturity, but allot of people dont like that massive amount of power right away, I love my 750 and my R1, but I kinda wish I got a 1K now, and I started on a SV650..

·
Registered
2 Posts
About a week ago I purchased a gsxr750 this bike has balls!! I used to ride a 96 zx7r ninja and the difference is amazing. My gixxer weighs almost 100lbs lighter and has incredible handling. Get the 750 you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My buddy went from a Katana 600 to a GSX-R 1000, and the thing scares the crap out of him every time he rides it. And he's been riding for 15 years. I remember him telling me about a certain time going about 65mph in 3rd gear, and opening it up...said he couldn't keep the front end down no matter how hard he tried. I won't say it's not possible for you to learn how to control the power, but it ain't easy. He keeps saying I oughta try it out and feel the difference, but the damn thing scares ME just looking at it.

Edit: Damn this night shift, making me too tired to see that you already responded, and decided to get a 750. Prolly a wise choice.

[ 01-28-2003, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Calaphor ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now that I know which one Im getting (750) would you all mind telling me what you paid for you bikes? Those of you that bought yours new. It might help with the negotiating at the dealer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can get one for $8499 + Tax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to the site as well and have been wanting a GSXR for a couple years. Well this year may be it, and I think I am going with the 600. I currently have a 92 FZR 600 with a Jet Kit but have no idea how much power it has.

Does anyone know if this will be a big leap in power for me. I'm guessing the FZR has like 70 horse tops, and I rarely went to the top end of the RMPs to ever feel it. I hear the GSXR 600 has like 100 horse at the tire. Will this be a big jump, or if I get enough money, should I go for the 750?

Thanks for any input...
Mike

·
Registered
924 Posts
Newbie here too. I've been riding for 3 seasons now, and I think that I can finally upgrade.
I currently have a '99 GS500 which is way to small for me. It was a perfect learning bike though. I've ridden quite a few bikes including Kawi ZX-6, Yamaha R6, Honda VTR 996, Honda VTX and a couple hawgs. I feel that I do have the skill and assurance to upgrade to the Gixxer 750 with probably a large learning curve, but I won't get a 1K because it just doesn't fit right.
I've been dreaming of the 750 since about a month after I bought my bike new, just because of the way it fits. The 750 Suzi is one of the few bikes that I feel comfortable on. I'm not in it for the HP or wheelies or stoppies. (for now)
I have also been shopping for it since I bought my bike also. In the midwest, the cheapest place that I have found it advertised is Chicago Cycle Center www.chicagocycle.com I have seen thier prices bordering low $7000's at the end of the season with the 600's just below that. I haven't asked around to see how competative the local dealers will be, but that may be the best way to go. Plus anyone outside of a 30 mile radias can get a $50 gas certificate.
But, I'm still searching. Haven't figured out when yet but just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
A guy I ride with on occassion went from a 600 "Tuna" to a Busa. He doesn't like technical twisties, just flat out speed. Funny how when he had the "D&D banana" as we called it, he would pull into the parking lot with everyone on their Gixxers, CBR's, R-whatevers, and ZX-whatevers, and would just say "sup fellas" and keep his mouth shout. After he got the Busa (blacked out limited edition at that), you can't tell him anything...he won't shout up. Moral of the story, if you get that 1K, be prepared to do something stupid like "proving yourself". Because sooner or later, someone with some mad skills on his/her 600 or SV is going to blow you away and you'll want to sell it. You gotta crawl before you walk.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
My advice is, do not do that except you want to kill your self at list not yet.
Get 750 max and it is going to blow you away.
You will be happy and more secure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts