Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
I'm a complete squid, still learning to ride on my boyfriend's 750. Buying a 600 after the first of the year. I'm here to make friends, get advice and hopefully meet girls to ride with and learn from in my area (Tampa/Sarasota.) A lot of people have discouraged me from learning on/buying a 600 or 750. I've been riding 2 Up with my boyfriend for about 4 years now, but before that never rode dirt bikes or anything. So far I've done well learning on the 750. Did any of you girls learn on a 600 or larger and have some advice for me? Or wanna share stories of the haters you proved wrong?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the site!

The 600 I have now was my first and current bike. Yes, I learned on it from the very beginning and most of the people who were haters were people who didn't know me, aka, people who helped me pick my bike back up when I dropped it a few times.

I do however highly recommend taking the MSF course. It helped me loads!

I've always told people that they have to truly know themselves in order to choose which bike they can handle and be cautious with. It took me a full 6 months before I was completely comfortable riding my bike, to know where the friction zone was, and to know how much throttle I needed to ease out of a stop. I did have my doubts about the engine size I chose but I stuck with it and have loved every minute of it.

After 5 years now, I'm looking at buying a 750 and keep the bike I currently have for nostalgia reasons, but I've got to pay off the car first (bought a bike before I even had my license lol).

My husband (fiance at the time) bought me a dirtbike as a wedding present and let me tell ya, riding a dirtbike can really hone your skills on the street! So I'd also suggest borrowing a dirtbike to try out on.

Hope that helps and we'll be seeing you out on the street! :burnout

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey there,

I started riding bikes at 11 so. I first learnt in a field on a Chinese 125cc dirt kit bike. Then I was riding mini moto's, other 125's, till I was 12-13 and rode a bunch of bikes on private roads - Kawasaki GPZ 900, 1999 Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD, Yamaha Fazer 600, Kawasaki Ninja 600, to the point my dad was there to stop me falling over when I stopped or we had a step ladder for me to stop next to.
I'm in the UK though, our license laws are strict and back then you couldn't get a full license without restrictions or other tests blah blah. I was finally full licensed at 18-19 and my first sportbike for the road was a GSXR 750 K8. I've always been on big bikes even as a kid but I took to biking like a duck to water.
You have to respect the bike and the power to survive riding a big bike, regardless of whether it's your first or twentieth, but especially so if it's your first. If you can respect the bike and fully understand what kind of power you hold in your wrist, and you take it one step at a time, then you'll do well.
There's valid reasons for people suggesting lesser bikes as there's too many people out there who just don't respect the bike and those big bikes can throw you off just like that, it's also a lack of experience to know how to deal with it if something does go wrong. So it's not haters, it's people who give a shit to suggest something safer.
Either way, good luck and safe riding :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the site!

The 600 I have now was my first and current bike. Yes, I learned on it from the very beginning and most of the people who were haters were people who didn't know me, aka, people who helped me pick my bike back up when I dropped it a few times.

I do however highly recommend taking the MSF course. It helped me loads!

I've always told people that they have to truly know themselves in order to choose which bike they can handle and be cautious with. It took me a full 6 months before I was completely comfortable riding my bike, to know where the friction zone was, and to know how much throttle I needed to ease out of a stop. I did have my doubts about the engine size I chose but I stuck with it and have loved every minute of it.

After 5 years now, I'm looking at buying a 750 and keep the bike I currently have for nostalgia reasons, but I've got to pay off the car first (bought a bike before I even had my license lol).

My husband (fiance at the time) bought me a dirtbike as a wedding present and let me tell ya, riding a dirtbike can really hone your skills on the street! So I'd also suggest borrowing a dirtbike to try out on.

Hope that helps and we'll be seeing you out on the street! :burnout
Hey Ashf00t! After seeing your post in the picture thread about your youtube channel, needless to say I have watched them all :biggrin I think your awesome and thank you for the entertainment and laughs :punk

Also, great advice. OP should really pay attention to what you've stated.

Hey there,

I started riding bikes at 11 so. I first learnt in a field on a Chinese 125cc dirt kit bike. Then I was riding mini moto's, other 125's, till I was 12-13 and rode a bunch of bikes on private roads - Kawasaki GPZ 900, 1999 Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD, Yamaha Fazer 600, Kawasaki Ninja 600, to the point my dad was there to stop me falling over when I stopped or we had a step ladder for me to stop next to.
I'm in the UK though, our license laws are strict and back then you couldn't get a full license without restrictions or other tests blah blah. I was finally full licensed at 18-19 and my first sportbike for the road was a GSXR 750 K8. I've always been on big bikes even as a kid but I took to biking like a duck to water.
You have to respect the bike and the power to survive riding a big bike, regardless of whether it's your first or twentieth, but especially so if it's your first. If you can respect the bike and fully understand what kind of power you hold in your wrist, and you take it one step at a time, then you'll do well.
There's valid reasons for people suggesting lesser bikes as there's too many people out there who just don't respect the bike and those big bikes can throw you off just like that, it's also a lack of experience to know how to deal with it if something does go wrong. So it's not haters, it's people who give a shit to suggest something safer.
Either way, good luck and safe riding :)

Also great advice! I am a firm believer that it's the rider's character that decides what will be a good amount of cc's to start on. Not to re-iterate what she stated, but you really must have respect for the bike if you plan on starting on a 600cc or greater sportbike.

There are also many bikes that are coming out on the market this year that are geared toward new riders, and also some that came out this past year like the CBR500R (similar to the SV650 or the FZ6R). It looks great and since it's a V-twin it has nice low end torque. There are a lot of other choices besides starting on a supersport, I know they might not be as "cool" or go as fast but you should be worried about learning how to ride, not learning how to go as fast as you can around a corner.

Just watch out for buying too new of a bike because if you damage it, parts will be heftier in cost and insurance will be higher. Insurance for the CBR500R, FZ6R or the SV650 would be considerably less than a supersport.

I started on a '03 GSX-R600 with no previous riding experience, just took the MSF course and did a couple weeks getting used to it around the neighborhood. I also rode with more experienced riders who didn't ride like idiots and had good habits which is very important, since as a new rider you will absorb other riders habits. And I'm still alive to tell the story, but doesn't mean im not still learning.

Reguardless, whatever you get as your first bike just remember to take your time and learn your bike. Sorry for the extenuous amount of verbage, good luck and keep the shiny side up!

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Sam's just quick with the Delete button.
Not as quick as I am with the ban button...dudes need TO STAY OUT OF THIS FORUM!!:chucks

·
Banned
536 Posts
06 gsxr 600, never touched a dirt bike, four wheeler or anything with a hand clutch and hand throttle. Turned out great.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Next dude that isn't staff here posting in the thread will be banned. I see I need to start enforcing the rules of this forum as it appears non of you males can follow them. There are multiple Stickys pinned in the forum,read them&if it happens again you are gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the responses!
I took a MSF beginner course a few weeks ago (3 hours.) Before taking the class to get my endorsement I knew I needed some extra help since I'd never ridden before. The class was helpful. My car is a manual so I grasp the friction zone thing pretty quickly, but when it came to riding the small cruisers they had for us to learn on I felt wobbly and uncoordinated. I got home and my boyfriend suggested I see how I felt on his 750 and I immediately took well to it, it was steady and tight. I took my feet off the ground on the first ride and since have been getting better. I did drop it the second time on it and got discouraged, but the same night rode around the neighborhood by myself which brought encouragement. I catch myself thinking that maybe what I'm learning on is too large which is why I seek advice, but I'm not young and immature (31 years old) and I respect the bike and the power and am taking it slow in learning. I am 5'8" too so I'm no little girl and can stand flat footed on it. I just worry about dropping it since it's so heavy but I think a ninja 250 is just about, what 50-75 pounds lighter? And there's a chance I'd drop that too. I think it just takes practice without getting too discouraged. And since I've been on the forums I see lots of women on 600/750/1000 and its encouraging to hear all of your learning experiences. :)

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Ok who wants to be next? :rolleyes

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find it a little disappointing that the female sections of forums like these seem to be so dead half the time.

That or it's filled with girls asking what to do about being so short and seat height and blah blah.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I find many ladies get run off because they ask for female opinions but get a bunch of guys. I bet I could ask what bra everyone wears and I would get guys telling me what their mom, sister, girlfriend, fiance or wife wear. On another forum I wanted to see how many active ladies there were and guys saying "I'm here" and got an earful because I told them "I don't care, I want to see how many girl riders we have", I haven't been back since.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
20 Participants
gsxrgirl85
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing