Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i think its about time to change my chain and just wanted to know what brand/type i should get.
also...can someone explain what a 520 conversion does?....im a newbie so would it be wise for me to do this?

thanks in advance

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
a 520 conversion will simply give you a lighter chain, which makes less unsprung weight making your bike run easier, better, whatever. You'll never really notice unless you're on the track beating up your bike or something. You'd have to get new sprockets do do the conversion. Go for it if you have the $. I know I will, just for the hell of it:)

I got a DID gold chain... not the wors, and not the best... just a nice one...

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
The stock chain on your bike is sized 525.

A 520 chain is lighter and will provide less rotating mass, slightly improving acceleration.

A 520 chain conversion is very popular.

Popular brands for chains are the D.I.D. or Regina chains. There are others. I use D.I.D. O-ring.

By switching to a 520 chain, you will also need to replace your front and rear sprockets to suit the new size of the chain.

By changing sprockets, most people will also opt for changing the number of teeth each sprocket has (going DOWN 1 tooth in FRONT, or going UP 2 or 3 teeth in the REAR). The change in sprocket size will improve acceleration by making it easier for your engine to get up to higher revvs where the powerband is. It will not ADD power.

By changing sprocket sizes, you will sacrifice a few things in exchange for quicker acceleration:

1) You will lose some top-end speed ability (meaning, your maximum speed will DECREASE). Most don't care about this because how many times do you want to go 150mph? The amount of speed lost will depend on the sizes of your gears, typically 5 to 15 mph.

2) Your gas mileage will normally decrease (since you will be getting to your powerband quicker, you will consume more gas in the process).

3) Your speedometer reading will be affected, showing a higher speed than what you are actually traveling (optimistic reading). Some people will correct this by purchasing and installing a YellowBox. Others will purchase a Sigma Cyclometer. Others will leave their bike alone.

Chain and Sprockets are also sold in sets, in order to save $$.

[ 09-09-2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RK makes very good chain...a 520 conversion kit that we sell which includes a front/rear sprokets and either a silver(grey) or gold chain...the silver sells for $145.99 and the gold sells for $158.99...this kit is what RK calls a quick acceleration kit...gearing would be 15/45...let us know if we can help out...

dwayne

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use 16/45 sprockets with my 520 chain. I chose the 16T front since it is easier on the chain than the 15T since it is a larger diameter. I suggest getting a rivet type master link chain. I have never had anything but trouble with teh clip type, clips coming off. I purchased a riveter/chain breaker tool to do a professional rivet job on the link which cost about $70 but is well worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts