Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got about 1.5K on my 03 1K. I just noticed yesterday that I get this intermittent buzzing sound - almost like the buzz you hear when you first turn on the ignition and you hear what I assume is the fuel pump initialize. I can't quite locate the sound while I'm riding with my helmet on, nor can I determine anything specic that causes it to happen or stop, i.e. accelerating/deaccelerating, etc. I seem to hear it every couple of mintutes or so while I'm riding. From best I can tell, it sounds just like the buzz when you first turn the key before cranking your bike. I'm wondering if there's something loose that causing the noise.

Also, I need to bump my idle up since I'm stalliing at lights. Is this a big deal? (I'm good with cars, but no very little about bike mechanics... obviously) Thanks in advance for the help.

G

·
Well, if you're stalling, you should bump the idle speed; if in fact that's the cause.

On the buzzing sound, it could just be a loose screen, etc. The stalling problem could certainly contribute though, particulalry if it's not the idle speed that's causing it, but a bad jet, etc.

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is the buzz when you turn the key? Is that in fact the fuel pump? That's pretty much what it sounds like. Yesterday while I was riding, one of the times I hear the buzz start, I literally hit the kill switch while coasting to a stop, and the noise just stopped.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey, I've got about 1.5K on my 03 1K. I just noticed yesterday that I get this intermittent buzzing sound - ...
1500 miles on an '03?
How long has it been since you rode it?

G

·
Yes, I believe that sound is the EFI system starting up. From what I understand, you are not supposed to start the bike until the sound stops. On my K5 it takes no more than two seconds, tops. If you are getting that specific sound at speed it must be related to that system. Maybe a jet going bad, or the starter itself, a clogged system, a short circuit, etc. I'd go have a real Suzuki mechanic take a look at it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought the bike about 2 months ago with only 700 miles on it from my local dealer. The story goes that this guy is a motorcycle nut with several bikes. The bike was flawless and already had a Yoshi carbon exhaust, new windscreen and undertail. Unfortunately, I don't get out to ride as much as I would like, but I'm working on it.

IF a jet is going bad, would that be causing the EFI system to try to reinitialize while I'm riding? Performance doesn't seem to be affected at all. I was hoping it was something simple before I have to go through the hassle and expense of taking it in only for it to be something simple.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll get it in the shop and post the results. Hopefully it's nothing serious... shouldn't be after only 1500 miles.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe so. II just got the bike, my first "real" sportbike and haven't had the time to really educate myself on all the technical stuff about it. I'm still learning. The thing is, it just started doing it. I've put about 700-800 miles on it without incident. I began to notice about 2 weeks ago that it would stall if I'm stuck at a light for awhile, and then I noticed the intermittent EFI sounding buzz that would just come and go while riding. While I"m not really hammering this bike at all, I can't say that I notice any perfermorance issues. It appears to be running perfect, sans the stalling issue, but I've been told that that is not too terribly uncommon after the break in period that it's more of an idle adjustment that needs to be done than anything else. I'm not sure if the two issues are related. I'm probably just going to bring it in this weekend to have it looked at. If something is wrong, I don't want to make it worse or get stuck somewhere. I'll double check on the slp-on issue though. I would not have thought of that. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts