Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found uppers,sides and lowers for 86&87 750s. same for 88 up plus tail sections. look at jcwhitney.com in the sportbike section under body parts. $125 for upper$42 per side and $57 per side on the lowers the center piece is $20.prices are for the 86-87 pieces. they are made of black ABS.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I'm sure jeff is correct. Look on Ebay for plastic. I have had some good luck there. You will still have to due some paint work. But the plastic will fit and last.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah....for example, you know how the stock tail section has those nipples for press-fitting into the rubber donuts on brackets? well, maier aftermarket bodywork doesn't have those nipples....instead they give you an anchor that you have to bolt onto the tail section. meaning that you have to drill an additional hole for the bolt....and you'll have that bolt head as an ever present eyesore that will always remind you that you should have spent a little more for oem quality plastics.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah a buddy of mine used the maier stuff and it's kinda rough..I've also heard it is very hard/impossible to get a good paint job on. Best of luck to anyone using it. I'd save up and buy sharkskinz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Worse then Maier, the JC Whitney stuff is old school Maier, which is thin Virgin ABS, the Air/oil GSXR's use a tempered ABS alloy designed specifically to deal with the high temperatures encountered in and around the furnace that Suzuki calls a motor. You'll note this if youever try to plastic weld the lowers or mids. First, you won't be able to put enough heat in the and second, the commercially sold welding rod won't stick for anything resulting in the repairs cracking with a quickness Article on Plastic Welding

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I'm not planning on getting old style bodywork. I just thought someone could use the info. And you all are right maier is junk. I plan on using the latest year that WERA V-6 will allow.
By the way,if I go old style, has anyone seen the Yoshumira Toronado body for 86-87 by Air tech. Any opinions?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the tornado bodywork is very nice.....but it'll be tricky to get the upper to work with the stock headlight (obviously, on a racebike, this won't be an issue), and i don't believe you can use the stock seat with the tail section.

it won't look right without the tornado tank, and airtech's tornado replica tank is fiberglass (i suppose they can make it in carbon fiber too).....probably wouldn't crash very well (this goes for airtech stuff in general)....

yoshimura only made a small handful of tornado tanks (something like 50, maybe less).....hand formed aluminum. yuuuuummmm.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Trashboy thanks for sharing the aritcle,,I might be one of the few who know where you are coming from,, I have had mixed luck with the hot air system, found it good for some fixes but not all, I have figured out that there are as many ways to fix the problem as there are different problems that need fixing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts