Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2010 gsxr 750 that is basically brand new. Picked it up from the dealer in November, had a few days of riding on it, changed the oil (Motul 3100 I believe, non syn) and let the bike sit for the winter.

We've finally had a few warm days so I started it up, double checked the oil level and have had it out for a few quick rides.

After yesterday's ride (a little longer than the other two, got it out on the highway etc) I had a look at the sight glass and noticed that the oil is brown.

It's still translucent, and it doesn't look "dirty" but I was somewhat surprised to see it change from the golden brown color to a medium/darker brown so quickly.

Would this be considered normal with a new engine?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I should clarify that the bike was started twice after the oil change and run for about 10 minutes to warm close to operating temp. First time was 3 weeks ago after a power commander install, second time was last week after an exhaust install.

I'm not sure if this matters or not as I've heard that if there is condensation in the motor it will burn off causing the oil to change color.

I'm probably over thinking this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The main reason bike oil gets "dirty" in a short period of time is because our bikes have a wet clutch. Particulates from the fiber plates turn the oil brown.

In a motocross bike where a racer abuses / slips the clutch a lot to get a good drive out of corners the oil can look almost black after just one race because of all the clutch material that's suspended in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts