Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
looks pretty good actually. I've paid more for alot worse lol. It even has the original pipes on it that look to be pretty solid. Since it looks like nobody has taken a sawzall to it yet I would try to keep it close to original. They are getting really hard to find in non-chopped condition. Let me know if I can help at all.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@Samantha750; you can move this thread to vintage.

Initial assessments of the bike are good.
1981 gs550t
10k on the clock
The Vin tag is peeling off.
The clutch was a bit bound up ur we got it free. The whole thing got a wd40 bath. I sprayed a bunch of pb blaster down the cylinders and let it fester before hand rolling the motor. Sounds real good. Nice and smooth, strong compression (finger test). The paint looks saveable too.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Pictures!

So, the start button is busted, and routed to a push button under the seat. I plan to replace the controls and put that back to stock. Lots of dirt and surface rust. A quick WD40 to the exhaust shows some pretty clean pipes though. The fucking seat is horrendous. Will be doing something about that. We were able to free up the choke, the clutch, and roll the motor last night so thats all good. Im sure the carbs will need to be rebuilt. ITS STILL GOT THE AIRBOX!!! lol Lots of love and attention to detail is needed. Should be a really nice bike when im done though! Oh and, part of the stipulations, is the fact that it was free is our little secret. Everyone has to think I paid him what he paid for it. $300.00. lol

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Nice find!

I'm partial to the "T" myself; currently own two 1982 750s--current ride & parts bike.

Got a V&H/4-1 installed on mine...shaved 30 lbs of excess weight. I also have the original airbox and changed the main jets to 117.5.

These bikes are great and definitely not cruisers. Good luck with the rebuild. I wouldn't do major engine work unless you need to. Do the basics and enjoy this vintage bike!

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the link! I've actually been there and downloaded a manual. Also I've checked out thegsresources.com and started gathering information. I was fearing the worst but after hand rolling the motor, I feel like the cylinder walls weren't nearly as bad as I expected. I am now anticipating that the cams won't be as bad as I expected them either. I am however fully intending on at least checking them once I get around to buying the gasket first. First purchase will be float bowl gaskets, orings, and maybe intake boot orings.

I've been spending the past couple days just trying to clean it up. I grabbed a spritzer (non aerosol) can of wd40, and some chrome Polish. It's taking some elbow grease but it's cleaning up well. I'm sooo close to just filling it up from a reserve gas tank and hooking it to my car battery and trying to resurrect it. I put fresh oil in it. I'd like to run a few heat cycles thru the oil and change it again.

I already envy the higher cc's and I also read a thread about the V&H 4to1. I want one. Lol. But these pipes are unmolested and still pretty fucking clean so I don't mind having them.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Keep the original pipes on there...I replaced mine because of a crack...plus I was making decent money on the road working for Boeing (Oct 2013-Jun 2014); got the pipes from Z1Enterprise.

Definitely do the valve adjustment and replace with OEM gasket. I get my parts from PartsOutlaw.

Keep us updated on your build...and post pics!

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, hooked it up to my car battery, and put the reserve tank on it and fired her up! I was surprised it started so easily. I ran some heavy seafoam thru the about quartbof gas that it ran through. Let it cool, and did it again. Then it stopped starting so well and was getting an eradic idle. Killed it. Checked the oil and took a smoke break. When I came back the oil level had risen and the carb vent tube was dripping. I totally expected to break a bunch of shit loose, but I was hoping to be able to make it down the road at least once.

Now that the carbs are compromised and it uses paper float bowl gaskets, its gunna get parked so I can pull the carbs and get valve covers off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OH! And it came with an exquisite clymer. It's been used by clean hands. There were some notes in it and page markers. I thumbed through it and put the first fingerprint in it, then returned it to its bag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
#4 pilot jet was FUCKED. stripped out flat. Then I made it worse. Replacement #4 bs32ss carb body purchased and en route.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's some pictures of the level of dirty I am dealing with. The picture of the top of the tank is after almost an hour of rubbing it, or scrubbing it really, with a soft old t shirt and wd40. The picture of the corner is pretty much what the whole top looked like, and the side panel is after a quick initial wd40 rub down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Pictures of the Carbs. Pulled, drained, photographed. OMG the carbs are a pain in the ass to remove. I was only going to buy what it looked like i NEEDED, but now that Im replacing a whole carb body, and I know how shitty they are to get on and off, Im just gunna buy a 4 pack of rebuild kits and be thorough. I dont want to ever have to take them off again!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
What happened to the carb body?

NIce bike for $300 :wink2: :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I couldnt get the pilot jet out. I suspect it was froze up because it looked like someone had tried very hard to get it out and failed. During said failure, they stripped it so badly that there was no screwdriver slot anymore. I shot some pb at it and tried to just catch the flat head on some junks of brass, and couldnt get it free. I opened up the pilot jet with a drill and tried an easy out, but the brass was so soft, and likely adhered to the carb that it would just slip out. Then after reading a bit, I tried running a tap through it, then pulling up fimrly and unscrewing at the same time. Nothing worked, then I flexed the tap a bit and it busted off almost flush with the jet. Yup. Fucked. Then I decided I had no other option than to buy a replacement so I got a little more aggressive with it. It still, after being obliterated wouldnt come out.

At this point it just for the principal; i had my mind set on replacing it already, i was gunna dig that bitch out if had to cut it in half.

I got most of it out in peices, but theres still about a 1/4 peice of the jets threaded area, locked into the grooves of threads on the carb body. and the nipple has most likely been pounded into the brass fiting in the opening of the pilot circuit. There was hammering.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Pictures of the Carbs. Pulled, drained, photographed. OMG the carbs are a pain in the ass to remove. I was only going to buy what it looked like i NEEDED, but now that Im replacing a whole carb body, and I know how shitty they are to get on and off, Im just gunna buy a 4 pack of rebuild kits and be thorough. I dont want to ever have to take them off again!

I've pulled the carbs off my bike twice now...first time to change the main jets and just a couple weeks ago to have them rebuilt. Once you get the Airbox pulled back as far as you can and wiggle the carbs off the boots it gets easier. That's of course if the boots are still soft. Otherwise, yeah...they can be a pain.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've pulled the carbs off my bike twice now...first time to change the main jets and just a couple weeks ago to have them rebuilt. Once you get the Airbox pulled back as far as you can and wiggle the carbs off the boots it gets easier. That's of course if the boots are still soft. Otherwise, yeah...they can be a pain.

Ed

Definitely was a pain in the ass. I dont want to pull the intake boots as then I would have to purchase new orings.... Or maybe I should, just to button up the whole intake system.

The boots look good though. I was thinking about rubbing some Vaseline on them and letting it sit for a couple days before wiping it off in an attempt to soften them up and restore some life to them. The airbox was missing the middle clamps as well, so I will probably ordering some replacements there. I would like to put the carbs back in and be done with them other than a vacuum sync.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Set the ol' lady loose on the tank last night armed with a cut up t-shirt, some wd40, and Dawn dish soap. The tanks looks great now!

Then we went out and spent an hour or so cleaning and polishing the engine and engine covers. Still have the front of the crankcase, the jugs and the head to clean but it's definitely starting to get some shine back to it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got the carb body in the mail yesterday. I pulled the fucked up one off the rail and swapped the internals. Fucking things are dirrrrrty. I will most likely be buying the complete rebuild kits Friday when I get paid. Having seen the inside of #4, I'm leaning pretty heavy on separating all of them and really giving them a good cleaning in the mean time. I got a buddy in the lawn care business. He said he has an ultra sonic bath for the carbs of his mowers at work. He was kind enough to offer to dip them for me free of charge.

I had some issues getting the carb rail bolts out too. I ended up having to notch them out with a Dremel so I'll probably just go ahead and replace all the rail bolts, the float bowl bolts, and diaphragm cap bolts

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
Got the carb body in the mail yesterday. I pulled the fucked up one off the rail and swapped the internals. Fucking things are dirrrrrty. I will most likely be buying the complete rebuild kits Friday when I get paid. Having seen the inside of #4, I'm leaning pretty heavy on separating all of them and really giving them a good cleaning in the mean time. I got a buddy in the lawn care business. He said he has an ultra sonic bath for the carbs of his mowers at work. He was kind enough to offer to dip them for me free of charge.

I had some issues getting the carb rail bolts out too. I ended up having to notch them out with a Dremel so I'll probably just go ahead and replace all the rail bolts, the float bowl bolts, and diaphragm cap bolts
Looks like she had fun cleaning the tank....tell her next up - carbs :lol

But yeah might as well do them up since they're off, a free ultrasonic bath sounds like a good deal to me.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts