Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, im SUPPOSED to go pickup a new bike today after work. Hopefully it all goes through. Got my eye on a 1982 Gs550t I believe. It might be the "E" model, but if memory serves its the T model, as it has a more round fuel tank. The previous owner to the current owner took very good care of it. When the guy bought it, it was a beautiful bike, and ran very well. Upon purchase of the bike, it had a bad petcock and the carbs were sucking raw fuel into the vacuum port. The current owner is not mechanically inclined, as is a bit immature. He also didnt have a license for a long time. He shouldnt have even bought it.

What I know is wrong with it.
I know he dropped it twice, and has never changed the oil. He's put under 1000 miles on it with degraded oil. I know the headlight and tail light dont work. The seat is fucked up, the tires are probably dry rotted, and Im sure the chain is rusty. Its sat outside for a while and I dont remember if it has pod filters or the airbox. Im hoping the cylinder walls arent too rusty. I plan on almost immediately chekcing the valves, pulling the cams, checking the cam bearings and reassembling with assembly oil. Then Ill probably pull the plugs and split a quart of oil across all the cylinders and roll the motor over a few times. Then overfill it with oil for now.

He told me to come pick it up today, so hopefully the story doesnt change. Did I mention this a freebie? Cant beat free!

If I get it, ill update this threads with pictures tonight when I get it home.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I was the "mechanic" at time of purchase, and I had a replacement petcock for it when it was bought. We took it back to my house, swapped out the petcock and I had it zipping up and down the road. As soon as I sat on it, I fell in love with it. I hope its not too far gone. I'd really like to get it back to A1 condition and have it for a sunday cruiser. lol

It's likely going to be a while before it's done. I still got some money to spend on the Gixxer before I can start buying parts for this thing.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So based completely on memory, I believe it's the T. The one on the right. The E has a flatter profile fuel tank and spoke rims. If memory serves me correctly this has the rounder tank and mag rims. Haven't seen it in a couple years tho. I got him trying to dig up the title to see if it specifies the model designation. And also I'll feel better if he has the title out and ready for me when I get there. Lol

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
Nice should be fun to wrench on and even better that you're getting it for free.

I was born in '82...great year. I mean look how sassy those dudes were :cool :lol

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha definitely sassy! The paint was immaculate years ago when it was originally purchased. Custom job, looked professional. I'm hoping the paint is in OK condition and a good wash and some wax will bring back its shine.

Definitely need a little work but that's kinda why I'm picking it up. Nice little project. I might even cafe racer it out. Not sure yet tho. If for some reason the cylinder walls are bad, it might just get a 650 jug/piston swap too! Hehe

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the links! It was on my to do list to find and sign up to a model specific forum. I'm hoping it won't be as bad of condition as I'm anticipating. I know it's sat for years. And spent a lot of time outside but I don't think it actually sat outside for a whole winter. I'm trying to get him to send me a pic of it right now

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
The 550s are tough. I doubt you will have to do half the work mentioned. Change the oil, check the valves, clean the carbs (O-rings for Suzuki GS850 Mikuni Carbs) and check the charging system. Check out The GSResources as well for anything you will ever need to know about these bikes.
I agree, if it has low miles, and you can get it to run and the engine sounds good, why mess with the cams and such when it's doubtful there is any problem.
Of there is, then go for it.

Nice find- for free no doubt

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah, I get that. But i also know it has probably around 500 miles on it running it with what i expect to be 50/50 mix of gas and oil. It would make me feel alot better to see the cam journals and know for sure that there are no signs of overheating, or heavy wear due to lack of lubricant. The valves need to be at least checked. The way I see it, its only another 30/40 minutes to pull the cams, check the journals and get some assembly oil in there to keep them moist till i get it running. That way I have peace of mind, and no surprises down the road.

And honestly, this is going to become my tinker toy. Im in no rush to have it running down the road, so taking the extra time and being a little bit over thorough gives me something to wrench on, and will mean for a well running machine once I wrap the process up.

Again, still not 100% as the bike is not in my posession. Hopefully nothing comes up and he dont change his mind. I feel like I've already talked about it too much and Im jinxing myself. lol

Im trying to get him to go outside and take a picture of it and send it to me. If he does, Ill post it up straight away

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, here are some pictures I got him to send me real quick. He's not sure where the left side panel is, I asked him to look for it. Very doubtful he'll find it. =/ also, these are low quality pictures but. I'm seeing a lot of rust on the engine. I'm assuming the bolt heads are all rusted to shit. The tank looks rusted in the pic but he says it's just dirt. We shall see. Still very hopeful without holding my breath. Once I got the bike in the truck and the title in hand I'll consider it a success. And snap more pictures of it prior to cleaning it up.

Attachments

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Time for me to be a mod, are you sure this is where you want this post? True, I have a narrow perception of things but really, neither of these bikes Fast or Sassy says cruiser to me. In the day these were viewed more as performance than cruiser. If we were to vote on this, I would vote this belongs in vintage vs. cruiser. Your thread your call but yes, definitely vintage.

·
Administrator
13,360 Posts
Time for me to be a mod, are you sure this is where you want this post? True, I have a narrow perception of things but really, neither of these bikes Fast or Sassy says cruiser to me. In the day these were viewed more as performance more than cruiser. If we were to vote on this, I would vote this belongs in vintage vs. cruiser. Your thread your call but yes, definitely vintage.
Vintage ???

He'll also find our resident old fart there also ... with a jar of lube :woot

·
Administrator
13,360 Posts
Sure, pre 1984 bike, "cruisers" was created for a member who asked for a "Harley" forum and BOOM...this forum was created.

:scratch

That's a good thing...right? Just as long as he doesn't forget the jar of lube that is :shifty
Yes I agree it's vintage ...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts