Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
566 Posts
I love the way the 2k3 1000 looks! The side by side headlights are a little more eye appealing but, hey do you want performance to go fast or looks to be a priority. From the side view all bikes look pretty much the same these days and the gix 1000 is SWEET in my book!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think the Honda looks better than the R1. They both look real similar in my book, but I give the nod to the black RR for 04. I like my 03 1K and have no reason to sell it to buy another bike with slightly better stats. I am man enough to say, "I am not man enough to handle all the power of my current 03 1K-so why change just for that."

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
I think the 03 gixxer looks great. Soooooooooooo much better than the 02. Too bad it weighs more
I hope Yamaha gave that bike some balls anbd a chassis to go with the ass-fag, Ducati wanabe underseat exhaust. Previous R1's are just not even fun to play with on the gixxer. They drop like grandma's tits when I hit the throttle. I looks to be a very fine year all the same.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was the same deal last year and before that for that matter! People making excuses and talking bout how they would give up this bike for that bike! Jesus! Ride what you got! If you want a new bike, buy one! Looks are in the eye of the beholder, to use an OLD ass saying!
As for build quality, I gotta say I HAVE looked at the R1 close and I don't agree the refinement thing. I think Suzuki and Yamaha are bout the same with Honduh edging them slightly! Course they got the big bucks! AS for Kawi, well the're coming alone. IE:ZX12R,ZX6R/RR
Haven't posted in here in forever but this one got to me! And YES, I'm brand loyal as far as I will always own a Suzuki BUT it doesn't mean I wouldn't own another brand if I could afford multiple bikes! I'm po!

I happen to think the new R1 looks REALLY good. What's with the swingarm thing. Doesn't the TL1000R have that. What's the advantage? And is that a seam in the tank or is it some kinda clear tank protector! The hugger is really small now kinda defeating the purpose! But hell, Suzuki still doesn't offer one stock!

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
floridagixxer said:

I was the same deal last year and before that for that matter! People making excuses and talking bout how they would give up this bike for that bike! Jesus! Ride what you got! If you want a new bike, buy one! Looks are in the eye of the beholder, to use an OLD ass saying!
As for build quality, I gotta say I HAVE looked at the R1 close and I don't agree the refinement thing. I think Suzuki and Yamaha are bout the same with Honduh edging them slightly! Course they got the big bucks! AS for Kawi, well there coming alone. IE:ZX12R,ZX6R/RR
Haven't posted in here in forever but this one got to me! And YES, I'm brand loyal as far as I will always own a Suzuki BUT it doesn't mean I wouldn't own another brand if I could afford multiple bikes! I'm po!

I happen to think the new R1 looks REALLY good. What's with the swingarm thing. Doesn't the TL1000R have that. What's the advantage? And is that a seam in the tank or is it some kinda clear tank protector! The hugger is really small now kinda defeating the purpose! But hell, Suzuki still doesn't offer one stock!
Look a bit closer next time. The R1 is a world ahead of the 1k in details like fasteners and other small bits like the exhaust collars and rear shock preload ring. I don't EVEN want to debate someone so perverse as to think a 01/02 1k is better looking. That said, there is no way would I give up the massive power and handling differential just to get a better looking bike. Beauty is only paint deep, slow and ill-handling go to the crank.

·
Banned
635 Posts
It has got ram air induction now but if it is still using the later head design with the compromised intake ports compared to the old model then it is still gouing to be slower than the Gix.

I don't like the way the exhaust goes through the swingarm.

The ZX-10R looks better to me all the time.

Suzuki and Kawasaki bring out the best racers out of the crate in my opinion. Hondas and Yamaha have been a compromise for a while. Why didn't they mass produce the R7? I think they would have out sold the GSXR750.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I also think it looks pretty good-but have you guys ever had to work on one? My last roomate had an '02 R1 and it was a total headache to do anything-I can have every bit of bodywork off my bike before he gets the upper off because of all these rediculous clips and 17 different pieces that are bolted on to make it look pretty. Plus you can barely get to the top of the motor because the frame 'cones' up at the top making the access pretty tight..

-Spooner

·
Registered
244 Posts
Spooner said:

I also think it looks pretty good-but have you guys ever had to work on one? My last roomate had an '02 R1 and it was a total headache to do anything-I can have every bit of bodywork off my bike before he gets the upper off because of all these rediculous clips and 17 different pieces that are bolted on to make it look pretty. Plus you can barely get to the top of the motor because the frame 'cones' up at the top making the access pretty tight..

-Spooner

Sounds like you havent worked on the 03 1000. Same problem. You have also torn apart your bike a thousand times experience pays off. My 2000 R1 was 10 times easer to work on also. it onIy only took a few min to take everything off but the kicker is you often did not need to you could take off just what you needed to. The other thing is the weak frames. Wreck a zook and it is totaled wreck a R1 and you replace some parts. Yamaha quality is above everyone else right now and parts are usualy about half what the others cost.

·
Registered
194 Posts
hmmm with the exhaust all the way up there it's kinda hidden...

Why not complete the job and powdercoat the exhaust black on the red and blue models?

Make it two tone instead of tri-tone.

(Still wouldn't think about giving up my gix)

·
Registered
111 Posts
NJ_GSXR_1K said:

cosworth said:

Underseat exhaust = ghey.

Why - looks good but you have NO trunk now and your ass DOES get hotter.

I never get tired of hearing this crap from yamaha lovers about "refinement". If you want that go buy a Lexus. I'm here to wreak havoc with my bike and scuff my leathers. That being said these bikes don't look as ugly as they did. they still do nothing to inspire me when they make excuses for performance around "refinement" and "looks". And why do most Yamaha people love the R1 front end yet hate the K3 nose? You'll never see it!

Summation. The Yamaha guys are in love all over again. That's good! Stay off my zook!
Come on. Have you ever seen an R1 up close? The build quality is at least 2 steps higher than a GSXR. The GSXR is more race bike. I tend to liike performance better than looks as well but hey, I can admit that the R1 is more refined and better built.
i love my 03 but i second this

·
Registered
111 Posts
[email protected] said:

erixgix said:

No I dont think it has to details as much as just brand loyalty.

Whats wrong with having a bike with all the goods and have it great looking.

K3 owners already resigned themselves to forgoing the looks to have the best of the rest. But with 04 and everyone stepping up, What do you expect the K3 folks to say not that is officially the ugliest bike of its kind on the planet.

Waht would you do....all the go , stop, and turn but with the look, or all that without....yeah, those Yamaha guys must all be squids.

But on Suzuki's behalf....The r1 has always been fairly evil handling (they all want to tank slap themselves to pieces) for a racebike and is why they have to weld in pieces from the R7 chassis. Maybe they fixed it, maybe they didnt, but wont matter for most folks since they aren't runnig in the top 5 in superbike.

They all have their quirks, but the playing fields is getting very level. But still expect brand loyal types to waive their banners even if they are all about the same.
The R1 tank slaps like a bitch because it does not have a sterring damper........They weld in a section of the R7 frame so they can use the R7 swingarm. It is much, much stronger than the stock R1 unit.

Attack Suzuki has been welding sections on GSXR1K's for years to use the R7 swingarm. Mainly because Yosh won't sell them one of theres.

I think the new R1 looks the tits, but I'm not brand loyal to anything.

JeffW, be nice.........
no brand loyalty here!!!

i pay to ride, not get pad too!!!

when i spend my hard earnd its on what I think is the best

in 99 it was an R1 in 01 it was the gsxr 1000 in 03 gsxr 1000

and i'll be riding some thing new next year to. if yamaha is the best thats what it will be, so if Suzuki want to keep my $ they better stay on the ball!!!

but i must add so far they have been

·
Registered
111 Posts
2crazee said:

I'm not quite sure what was meant by "better built". If its fit and finish I would agree, however a very good riding friend of mine is a mechanic at a large Chicago area Yamaha dealer and he says that you would'nt believe how many R1's are brought back to the dealers because of transmission problems. Im not sure that qualifies as better built; but I do agree that it sure does look good.
I returend one "99 r1" after having tp sue yamaha and the dealer who sold me the bike

yada, yada, yada

i won the law suit under ohios lemon law
then started riding Suzuki's

but my buddy bought one the same time as me and rode it till he totoled it this year

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
well bend me over and grease me up honey becuase I like the underseat exhaust

other than that it looks like a R1

21 - 40 of 55 Posts