Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So who do you ride with? Or do you just go with them all and pick dtaes that match your schedule?

Rode with NESBA yesterday on Lightining and it was very well organized and they extend the day untill 6:00pm for us, very cool of them!

So let me know your toughts!

Rod

·
PM me of you want your shaft mastered
2,054 Posts
Most of us northeast guys ride with TPM. If your looking for the Sunday crew they are normally at TPM events. But check under northeast track whores and you'll see dates and discussions on who is going when.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I can do trackdays moslty on weekdays due to work but I was thinking more on the lines of, who should I give my hard earned money to next season and why?

You guys that ride mostly with TPM over NESBA, what is the main reason? Is it the shceduling or do they run better track days?

Thanks again!

Rod

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,180 Posts
TPM has more dates, it just works better for everyone trying to ride together. You should ride with whoever can fit your schedule best.

TPM and Absolute have different membership levels which can change the pricing of the days as well.

·
Papa Johns Diaper Service...
2,835 Posts
Well its like this Hot Rod, any org can have a good or bad day depending on the knuckleheads who show up too ride. Track days during the week tend to be calmer and less crashes. I have experienced good and bad days with ALL the orgs. TPM has NJMP on lock down with the most days and Absolute is second with days at NJMP. Hence most of us ride with TPM or Absolute. I haven't riden with NESBA since 2010. They haven't had any dates that fit my schedule and most of our crew rides with TPM or Absolute. Now with the
NEW track opening next season in NY, TPM will have that track on lock down too!!! So hence I doubt I will ride with them next season either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So strong arguments for TPM here! Most dates available and more people from here ride with them! NY track sounds pretty good as well!!!

Does TPM do a good job separating riders by level? I hate riding with a bunch of traffic caused by slow people, not that I am fast, but I would love to ride with people at least of a skill level on par or better than me.

Rod

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,180 Posts
Now with the
NEW track opening next season in NY, TPM will have that track on lock down too!!! So hence I doubt I will ride with them next season either.
I think Glen said TPM had 24 dates and NESBA has 16 for NYST in 2013...

Does TPM do a good job separating riders by level? I hate riding with a bunch of traffic caused by slow people, not that I am fast, but I would love to ride with people at least of a skill level on par or better than me.
From what I hear, NESBA does the best job with that. I don't think the rest of the "local" orgs do that good of a job.

·
AKA Pee Wee Herman
6,092 Posts
TPM is the biggest org out there right now, they have the most going on and
(I feel) they give the most back to their members, but it IS a business, and Glen is in it to make money, so that does end up in some bad decisions being made on their part.

I would say I am 87% happy with TPM as a whole. I am probably gonna check out Nesba and Absolute again next year, but with TPM usually having the most days available I can easily see myself signing up with them again next year, even though they did something recently that I strongly disagree with and it had me considering not riding with them next year. I will wait till I make that decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Care to share? It may (will) help me make my decision as well. Do it via pm if you are not comfortable sharing in public.

Rod

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
i too would like to know. it seems like something quite serious

·
PM me of you want your shaft mastered
2,054 Posts
They are allowing white group riders to an open track day which are usually only open to red and blue group riders. So inexperienced riders allowed out with the experienced fast guys. Also rules are different like inside passing is allowed which the white group guys are not accustomed too. Just makes for a dangerous day.

·
AKA Pee Wee Herman
6,092 Posts
There is an open day coming up soon, they are usually only open to int and adv groups, I was planning on signing up for it till we got a newsletter saying that it is now open to all groups.

I feel that allowing nov riders in an open day is just foolish, considering they use advanced group passing rules, which is basically a 3 foot rule.

I am going to wait till after that day to see how it goes. I talked to a couple of coaches and supposedly it is a case by case basis on who they allow from novice groups.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Having ridden with both organizations this year, here are my thoughts.

TPM has more dates, it just works better for everyone trying to ride together. You should ride with whoever can fit your schedule best.

TPM and Absolute have different membership levels which can change the pricing of the days as well.
- Right on Bob, I do choose to ride with whoever is running a track day when I can make it.

- Agree. NESBA bit pricier but better track density, and the control riders do facilitate track traffic for the most part.

I think Glen said TPM had 24 dates and NESBA has 16 for NYST in 2013...
From what I hear, NESBA does the best job with that. I don't think the rest of the "local" orgs do that good of a job.
TPM has more days, so I just go with whatever work schedule permits. As for the way they run their track days, very pleased with NESBA. Some describe them as being too strict, but for safety reasons, I appreciate that.

There is an open day coming up soon, they are usually only open to int and adv groups, I was planning on signing up for it till we got a newsletter saying that it is now open to all groups.

I feel that allowing nov riders in an open day is just foolish, considering they use advanced group passing rules, which is basically a 3 foot rule.

I am going to wait till after that day to see how it goes. I talked to a couple of coaches and supposedly it is a case by case basis on who they allow from novice groups.
I am in novice, and I completely agree with Rich here. The skill level within novice is quite a wide range from a very new track rider to a more advanced beginner, and this makes it unfair for the more advanced riders if newbies are on track with them. Can be done but makes it relatively more dangerous.

In the end, I believe that they are both great organizations and they have their own strengths in their format. I will continue to ride with both of them. Both organizations have great folks and that's what makes track days fun too!:cheers

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
Does Sportbike Track Time host days there?

I wanna come ride NJMP with you guys next year.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,180 Posts

Last year they had very few NJMP dates. This year they had NO Northeast dates. I don't know if they're going to try to make a comeback or what...

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts

STT walked out on the Northeast after the disaster at Monticello circa 2010 and haven't come back :sad

TPM partners with STT for a couple of the more southern TD's they had on their calendar (Barber and CMP I think).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some very good points came up here so I am very happy I posted!

Being that I am new to track riding and have much to learn, it is starting to make sense to sign-up with NESBA for the year as a member and jump in some other dates with other groups for specific dates that fit my schedule.

The one thing I really apreciated with NESBA was the attention from the control riders and their willingness to talk to you, literally coming up to me in between sessions for pointers and ideas. Also very motivating to go out one-on-one and learn the lines better, etc.

This last day I just did was the first one that I felt 100% safe and comfortable with the track, pushing my limits a bit more than before and I do believe it was due to the control riders input and encouragement.

Rod

·
Papa Johns Diaper Service...
2,835 Posts
I wouldn't count on NESBA and NYST. If they deem the track unsafe, they will pull out. They did it with Monticello, a week before the 1st track day there. And then bad mouth any org that rides at a track they deem unsafe.
That whole incident in 2009 left a bad taste in my mouth and I doubt if I will EVER ride with them again. (unless they have a day I like LOL):shifty

I have to agree with Rich on the open day thing. I have done some open days and I wont pay MORE to do another one. When I first got bumped to RED I did one of those 2 group days. I was out there with the FAST guys and the passes scared the shit out of me. They were blazing by me and passing within an inch of me. Another low turn out day, they did the 2 group format again and after 2 sessions they went back to the 3 group format. It was just too dangerous out there. Guys were riding 6 across in the bowl on
Lightning...:eek:hmy :suicide

On an open day, I usually do the same amount of riding as a normal day, maybe slightly more. I stay out there the normal 15 or 20 minutes....and rest a 1/2 hr between sessions. I am NOT trying to stay out there for an HOUR straight. :suicide

I miss STT, all the days they ran at Monti were pretty smooth except for that last Full Monti day in 2010. It was a crash fest. They lost total control
of the track day. But I would ride with them again in a heart beat if they come back. :cheers

So Hot Rod, if I am gonna spend my meager funds on track days its gonna be
in this order........TPM, Absolute, STT (if they ever come back).....and NESBA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts