Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 04 with all the mods listed on my auto sig. I went to the 1/4 mile track for the 1st time ever on my 04. The problem is that when I try to launch the bike at about 5000 RPM's where it won't bog down the clutch GRABS all at one time and won't let me slip it at all...I even had a friend who races all the time try to launch my bike and he ran worst times then I did...He said something about the BUSA's having some sort of thing in the clutch that does the same thing and all the racers remove it so that they can slip the clutch. Anyways, is there anyone on here that races the 1/4 mile and has any clutch tricks for me (Short of spending 1000.00 to buy some sort of super duper do hicky....lmao

I was running constent 2.1 60' times (I know this is what is killing me) and going through the traps at 140-142 MPH with a best time of 10.948...

I also know that 1/10th of a sec off of the 60' time is going to be about 2/10th of a sec at the big end...If I could get my 60' time down to 1.6 I would be into the 9's.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Most of fthe guys around here are running stock clutches[maybe springs] on mod bikes, strapped and lowered, with no problems.

·
Registered
919 Posts
the problem (according to Lees Performance, when i talked to them after running into the same problem) is not in the clutch plates or linkage, but in the clutch basket. They run a very light clutch basket that has a tendency to warp a tiny bit under large torque (like the mighty gixxer on takeoff) and this warp causes the clutch to alternatingly grab & let go instead of slipping.

I tried to remedy the situation with my Barnett race clutch kit, but as i still had the stock clutch basket, the problem remained (but was more manageable). Lee has a replacement clutch basket for $375 (at least thats how much it was last year) that supposedly will completely fix the problem - talk to em.

oh, and 10.9's ur first time out to the strip is NOT bad at all - keep it up!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I've got an 04 with all the mods listed on my auto sig. I went to the 1/4 mile track for the 1st time ever on my 04. The problem is that when I try to launch the bike at about 5000 RPM's where it won't bog down the clutch GRABS all at one time and won't let me slip it at all...I even had a friend who races all the time try to launch my bike and he ran worst times then I did...He said something about the BUSA's having some sort of thing in the clutch that does the same thing and all the racers remove it so that they can slip the clutch. Anyways, is there anyone on here that races the 1/4 mile and has any clutch tricks for me (Short of spending 1000.00 to buy some sort of super duper do hicky....lmao

I was running constent 2.1 60' times (I know this is what is killing me) and going through the traps at 140-142 MPH with a best time of 10.948...

I also know that 1/10th of a sec off of the 60' time is going to be about 2/10th of a sec at the big end...If I could get my 60' time down to 1.6 I would be into the 9's.
here you go buddy
http://stores.skipjack.com/brockracing/Detail.bok?no=22
and for high hp; http://www.gsxrzone.com/clutches.html#anchor1023631

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good info thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Come on guys!!! Get that piece of shit barnett clutch out of their and put a stock one back in. Clutch problem solved. The barnett clutch is the problem. You only need a billit basket if you are dropped and extended with a soft tire and 180 hp or more.
I ran my 03 1000 on the ground with a 8" extended arm and 197hp with nitrous and stock basket and clutch is fine. Order some heavy duty clutch springs from schnitzracing.com and a stock clutch from the place I put a link to and you are set.
You don't need the basket unless you are running really hard. Throwing the clutch away on a dropped and extended bike. Stock wheel base you will never need one.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
my 04 has a stock clutch and it does the same thing, cant slip it, it starts grabbing, acts like my 01 did till I installed the washer, 04 has it, has nothing to do with the Barnett parts. weeee

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yes. My 01 was a little grabby on really aggresive launches untill I put the 02 udate kit in. (the washers) I have not had any problems on my 03 1000 with a stock clutch. I put a barnett in it and it was junk. Put a new stock one back in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My clutch is the same, but I have learned to feather the hell out of it. I got the idea and taught myself by watching Ricky Gadsen. My best time is 10.61 at the track with a 1.9 60 foot time. I am strapping it this year.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a guy at the track (the 1st run I made) on a lowered and stretched Busa w/ a air shifter and NOS.... He had a 1.5 sec 60' time.....the best I have been able to manage was a 2.1....That Sucks....the video is up on another web site and you can see me trying to launch...it makes me sick that I couldn't get any better times.....

·
Limpy McTinydick, wants to be a French Canadian
3,941 Posts
fuck i cant find my time slips but i ran a 10.50 almost every time i went down the track on my stock 02 1k . then one time we went up to norwalk and i ran a 10.20 @ like 147 (fuck i cant remember the speed) and every person i talk to that wasnt there to see it tells me theres no way i could have ran a stock gsxr 1000 that fast. and i didnt have my side plastics on. i thought they were suposed to run like 10.1-2 stock ? am i wrong? i mean i have no reason to lie about it thats just the time i ran.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a guy at the drag races the other night on a stock 2000 R1 (just had a slip on) it was lowered and strapped and he ran a 10.013 (don't know his speed), but he ran consistant 10.2's all night long....It's really hard to run a stock bike (thats not lowered) that fast down the track, but i'm not going to say that it can't be done.....You were there, so only you know for sure, maybe you just did everything right that time and got the best time you could..

·
Registered
16 Posts
my 04 does the same thing. been 10.47 @ 135 i thnk. what is the fix guys please help me.

mark

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the clutch cusion thats badassmofo posted a link too looks promising....It's either that or a billet clutch basket..I keep hearing pros and cons to each.....

There has got to be someone who IS an actual DRAG RACER on a Gixxer 1000....

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
the clutch cusion thats badassmofo posted a link too looks promising....It's either that or a billet clutch basket..I keep hearing pros and cons to each.....

There has got to be someone who IS an actual DRAG RACER on a Gixxer 1000....
my wife drag race the 02 1k. her best time on stock motor is 9.70. im in the middle of replacing the head gasket the 3mil motor and port and polish the head. have not run the motor yet. we dont use the clutch cushion, we have a 2 stage lock up.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
billit clutch basket is a waste unless you have alot of hp on a droped and slammed bike. The clutch cushion is probably brocks clutch cushion.
http://stores.skipjack.com/brockracing/Detail.bok?no=22
I have never used one because I have never had any problems with a stock clutch, but I have talked to some that use them and love them.
My built motor turbo 1000 has a 2 stage lockup clutch. I wont have it running for another month, but am not looking forward to setting up a lock up clutch.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, so what exactly is a lockup clutch and how does it work....

I really don't drag race much, but now this has become a sort of project to me. I know my bike can do alot better then a 10.9 with a stage 2 motor making 165.5 HP....

I'm going to try the cushion and see what happens...If I can turn a respectable time then i'll let it go at that...lmao...

I really just like to ride the twisties and hit some straight aways from time to time and I love to do track days....

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yes you can do alot better then that. I took my 750 to the track once and ran a 10.8 @ 126 with a 1.81 sixty at stock wheel base.
I am only getting a lockup, and billit basket becuase my bike will be making well over 300hp. You still have to let the lever out like a normal clutch, but their are springs and weights that use centrifical force to squeeze the clutch pack together so it doesn't slip with all the power. You can't pull the clutch in by hand over 6,000 or so rpm I was told so I am using a air shifter also.
Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly and get some practice in. Put a lowering strap on the front to lower the front just when you are at the drag strip. You could get some lowering links to lower the rear and if you really want to get serious some swingarm extentions or extended swingarm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts