Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only pistol I have right now is a G17. I am looking to get a .45 because I like them much better and have narrowed it down to three choices. I have never even shot a 1911 so I am looking at getting a RIA 1911 to get to know the platform. I have shot a G21 and love it and know it would never let me down but I already have a glock. The third that I just found out about is a FNH FNP .45, I have always wanted something made by FNH and it looks like the pistol is a glock/1911 lovechild so I get both out of it.

So if you only had a G17, would you buy a RIA 1911, G21, or FNP .45?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
The practical person would say that if you plan on any self-defense use for these pistols you should get the Glock, that way you have to learn only one platform with the same manual of arms.

The less practical person like myself would say f*ck it and pick the one you most like. The 1911 is a classic, noone would fault you for wanting one and the FN is relatively new but the early word I've seen is that it's about as good as any other FN product - which is pretty darn good.

Been meaning to get a .45 myself since all I have are .40s, 9s, a .380 and a .22 so far for pistols - money's in other things right now though but I'd love an HK45 myself or a nice 1911, maybe a Doublestar.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Only based on your 3 choices, I would go for the Glock 21. What did you plan to use it for?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just plinking and if it turns out to be more reliable then my G17 then it will turn into my main self defense firearm but main purpose is plinking.

Edit: Actually what one would you choose for plinking and what one would you choose for self defense?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just plinking and if it turns out to be more reliable then my G17 then it will turn into my main self defense firearm but main purpose is plinking.

Edit: Actually what one would you choose for plinking and what one would you choose for self defense?
for plinking, the Rock Island, purely based on cost vs the FNP & Glock. For Carry or HD, It really would depend on how you Carry or store the weapon; C&L or Empty Chamber.

if you want to carry or store C&L, then do you prefer a Manual Safety (FNP & RIA), De-cocking function (I'm Sure someone makes a .45 with this), or just pull and squeeze (Glock)

really depends on what your preference is, I wanted a balance of cost (in case it was ever stolen from car or bed side drawer) and features (Hi Capacity, reliability, Manual Safety, De-cocker, and good ergo) for my everyday carry\HD weapon (9mm).

good luck!:cheers

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
Like all pistols, it comes down to personal preference. I'm a 1911 guy and have a few, but would always make room for another one. Out of that list, I would choose the FNP 45. Unfortunately this is not available in Kommifornia as of yet. The pistol world is one filled with bias and opinions. Such a lighting rod for opinions are Glocks. Many like them, I do not. While I will not bash them, I feel for my personal preferences there are better choices. It all comes down to what you like and what feels good to you.

$.02 YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Been doing some thinking and if I buy a 1911 I have always wanted a colt so I think I will hold off until I can afford one.(yes I know, the brand you have is better). I have been reading reviews of the fnp and have been reading very bad things so I am 90% sure I am going with the G21 because I know I like it, it fits my hand well, and know its reliable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Been doing some thinking and if I buy a 1911 I have always wanted a colt so I think I will hold off until I can afford one.(yes I know, the brand you have is better). I have been reading reviews of the fnp and have been reading very bad things so I am 90% sure I am going with the G21 because I know I like it, it fits my hand well, and know its reliable.
Have you fired a G30 or G36?
Can you carry in the state you live in? the G21 is a large Pistol and can be a pain to carry some times.
I Carry my G30 90% of the time loaded and one in the pipe. The safety is on the trigger. and it won't go off unless my finger is on it. Proven fact.

I have a G27 and G30. Wife is getting a G19 (soon I hope)

If you are just plinking why get 45? the cost of ammo is twice the cost of 9mm

I have near 2000 rounds in my G30 and I have never had a problem with it. No jams nothing,

this is just my opinion though. Your money your gun :)

Have you looking into the new Springfield XD(M)'s? I hear nothing but good things about them.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Deffinity not for carry. I live in NY.:banghead

I choose .45 because I like it more and can shoot it better then my 9mm for some reason. I dont consider the Springfield or S&W because if I get a polymer gun it will be a glock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts