Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding yesterday everything was fine. Started the bike today, sounds like a Vtwin and a noticeable loss of power. This is on a 98 gsxr 600. Im going to check the plugs, I just had them changed last month, but will still check. Also there is a lot of construction around here so I will also clean the air filter and whatnot. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just go over spark plugs wires check for usual vacuum leaks etc etc after yo go over these and check filter then post results, It may be solved

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
sounds like one of your plug/coil wires came loose and firing on 3 cyl's
good luck

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, 2 of the plug coils were off, so I fixed that prob, probably should have checked the plugs first but I thought for sure that was the problem. Nope. So anyways, attached is a pic showing 3 hoses that were not connected anywhere....could this be the prob and if so where do they go. The small one on the right come from the hose that connects to the right side of the airbox, the other two come from the back of the tank. Any guesses?

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
just ata glance, these look to be the fuel tanks air breather hose, and the fuel tanks water drain hose....the attach at the rear of the tank, and are routed down and.....to the right of the shockthru the hoses between the body frame and crankcase, thru the hoses inside the hose guide and then u r at the end!!!

or you could jus run them south so as they would leak onto anything!!!

these arent meant to attach to anything other than the tank!!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
*nods*

The pair which are connected to the rear of the tank are the breather and overflow hoses. Route them as informed above.

The 3rd hose im interested about. I cant work out what it could be
It's been a while since ive lifted the tank for the last service.

Maybe it's different to my bike, since we dont have the PAIR emission restrictions and such....

Im keen to know though

KaTz

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
hey katz.........why is your bike now "BEAT UP"???or has it always been....

perhaps the mystery hose attaches to a tee'd fitting on the inside of the frame rail...its kinda hard to see, but im not very sure about it on carbies......good one for john though!!

scott

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Im still looking on that one. I did pull the plugs and here they are

Looks to me like #3 needs replaced and that may be my culprit. Thing is, # 3 and 4 had a bunch of oil and goop all over them, very nasty looking. I dunno what do you think? By the way, I want to thank you all for the input, its very appreciated

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
REPLACE THEM ALL....(sorry 4 caps) i think u should start over with equally fresh spark (jus check the gap even thou they come 'pregapped')

looks as if no.3 is really rich...i guess better than lean, just wait and hopefully john can give some input--nonetheless, get all new plugs...it looks to be that time for you...

scott

·
Registered
330 Posts
yeah man, listen to ESE. start with replacing the plugs. just keep in mind not to go nuts doin a bunch of things under there, simply b/c if it all of a sudden works, you will not know the origin of the problem. try one thing at a time and if that doesn't work, move on to the next item on the list! I am also interested in that 3rd hose!!!

let us know how u make out!

Tyler

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only other thing besides replacing the plugs I could think of was diry carbs, so I figured if replacing the plugs didnt work, Id just spray carb cleaned on the air jets and clean them out. Well problem fixed. Replaced all 4 plugs which did the trick. Im wondering, I have a stitter from 5l to 7k, I think it may be pouring in fuel and fouling the plugs. anyway, as for the third hose, Im convinced its a pressure hose for the airbox. Ive looked everywhere but theres no place for it. It all works well so I guess Ill leave it at that. Thanks again for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts