Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been riding for a while. I recently bought a used 04 GSX-R 600, and am planning to do my first oil change. I bought it with out a manual.

I have 4 quarts, a new filter, and washer for the oil pan. I have changed the oil on other bikes, and on cars. I was just wondering which side I should take the fairings off to reach the oil pan and such. Thanks - Walter

·
Registered
283 Posts
oil drain is on the bottom of the motor, the plastic is open on the bottom, however, "im not sure about the plastic and gettin to the oil filter, my 03 1k, all I had to take off was the rifht side

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
You have to take the oil pan off to do your oil change? Doesn't it come with a drain plug? Man, I'm staying with my oldskooler.
There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan. Depending on where the oil filter is, you might want to drop both lowers... I don't know how the bodywork is on the newer bikes, but an oil change is an oil change. Be sure to not over tighten the drain plug when you put it back in. If you had a service manual, it would tell you what the proper torque is for it. It's less than you would think...

And be sure to put the plug back in before you put oil in it. I know, but it has happened to some of the guys, they just won't admit it.
I didn't, of course.

One tip, though. Run the bike for a few minutes to warm up the oil before draining it. It'll flow easier and you'll get more out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i have the new washer for the drain plug i mean, i better get it started before it gets dark. Thanks for the help, on old truck i used to run a funnel with a hose so I wouldnt have to take off my skid plates to drain the oil. I just hate when I make a huge mess cause oil doesnt come out of towels or mechanics gloves easy at all. - walter

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
taking both side would be best, then you coudl clean all the guk out from the inner fairing. But if you really don't want to do that, just take the right side out since that is where you going to be filling in the oil from.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts