Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is not a Gixxer, but a Friend of mine has a 93 Katana 600, do you fine gentleman or ladies know where I get some info for it at? He wants to sell me it for $400.00 complete, it needs some TLC and Elbow grease, but for $400.00 it would be a great bike for the Wife. TIA

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: 93GIXXER-6/7 ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, it would be a good bike for the wife.....but not if it needs so much work that it'll end up costing more to get it running right than it's worth.....

here's google's search results for katana 600: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=katana+600&btnG=Google+Search

nothing really that special about the katana 600, it's basically a sleeved down and destroked oil cooled 750 mill (i think the short stroke one, but i could be wrong....the kat 750 is definitely a detuned short stroker). the frame is a steel twin spar frame (although the frame spars are nowhere near as beefy as those of more sporting machines), and can take an 1100 motor if you're so inclined....

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, it is Okay condition, It turns over But the Carbs need a cleaning Bad, I think it has less than 20K Miles on it, the Plastics need to be Repainted, and some need to be replaced.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
not bad.....if the motor's in okay shape (do a full tuneup and check the valve clearances), sounds like a bargain project to me....

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
my friend has a 94 600 Kantuna. A truck hit him so while they where fixing it he had them throw on a yosh pipe and rejet the carbs. he's now getting it painted yellow in the front fading to burnt orange in the back with burnt orange rims.

It's a good running bike, perfect for a starter. sit's a little more comfortable thann the gixxer for long rides (I prefer the lay down feel of the gixxer myself)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
here are the specs for the 97 katana 600 (the earliest i could find on suzuki's web site).....the 97 isn't much different than the 93, with maybe the exception of jetting and other minor things.

(i was wrong about the motor, it's a sleeved down long stroke 750 motor. not even destroked....)

KATANA 600
SPECIFICATIONS
Engine: 599cc, four-stroke, 4-cylinder, 16 valve air/oil cooled with DOHC and TSCC
Bore/Stroke: 62.6 x 48.7 mm
Compression Ratio: 11.3:1
Carburetor: Four Mikuni BST33SS
Lubrication: Wet sump
Ignition: Digital/Transistorized
Starter: Electric
Transmission: 6-speed, constant mesh
Final Drive: DID50VA2 chain
Overall Length: 2110mm (83.1 in.)
Overall Width: 700mm (27.6 in.)
Overall Height: 1145mm (45.1 in.)
Seat Height: 780mm (30.7 in.)
Ground Clearance: 140mm (5.5 in.)
Wheelbase: 1430mm (56.3 in.)
Dry Weight: 199kg (438 lbs.)
200kg (440 lbs.) CA model
Suspension:
FRONT: Telescopic, oil-damped,
4-way adjustable rebound damping
REAR: Link-type suspension, 4-way
adjustable rebound damping,
7-way adjustable preload
Brakes:
FRONT: Dual hydraulic discs
REAR: Single hydraulic disc
Tires:
FRONT: 110/80-V17
REAR: 140/80-V17
Fuel Tank Capacity: 20 liter (5.3 gal.) 18 liter (4.8 gal.) CA model

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been looking, motorcycle.com did a write up on the 96 Katana VS the FZR a Value bike shoot out, the editors said the katana had its quorkes SP? but it was the best bang for low dollar. I figure I will have my friend bring it over and Wrench on it and see if I can get it running good, and really get into the bike and make a list of what it needs, if I can put it back on the road and in good order for less than $1K, then I'll buy it and fix to sell to pay for my 93 907 Project

I also have to finish the 93 Ninja 600R I got for a steal ($100)
, so I can sell it.

Pretty Much I have 3 bikes I need to finish up by spring to sell.

1975 Honda 400 four ss
- it needs a motor, any body got one laying around.
1993 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
- needs and Upper and repainted (none of the body work matches)
1993 Katana (I'll have this one soon for $400.00)
and of Course bike 1993 GSXR 600 Frame with all 750 Parts and engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts