Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need owners of \'86 1100 help!

i am getting my '86 gsxr11 ready for safety, the front seems low, the bike is almost vertical on the sidestand (i don't think this is normal)

could someone measure the distance from the top of forkbrace to the bottom of the stock brake splitter for me?

I just got this bike, so i have no starting reference.

thanks alot
Gerry.

Thanks alot

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Re: need owners of \'86 1100 help!

IM not really sure of what your asking, but most likely your front & rear springs are worn out.
Front replacement is cheap & easy, the rear is very expensive.
Go for aftermarket or NOS, any used OEM will be worn out also
I bought a new Fox Shock, about 6 months ago they stopped selling motorcycle shocks. I think the Öhlins is the only other manufacture.

Mike

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts

For a standard setting, the top of the fork is supposed to be flush mounted with the top of the triple. I've got mine raised by just under a half inch, and it's not too bad on the sidestand. What setting have you got the preload at, too? It's supposed to be 2 for solo riding, or 3 for a firmer ride or two up.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

what i mean is that i don't know if the springs are shot, i have no reference to go by, i just got this bike, it just seems to sit low (fork tubes are flush with top triple)

i can push thing over with my finger when its on the sidestand, i just dont know if this is normal
Gerry

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i just need to know if its normal to be almost vertical while on the stand, the forks are flush with the top triple.
the thing won't rest on the stand if i go to opposite lock(away from the stand)
this can't be right!!
thanks for the help, i will pull the springs tomorrow, i might preload with a piece of tubing (about 2" long)if it sits better on the stand, i 'll go from there.
I plan on lots of mods, i just want to get it plated, then start with the mods, so i don't want to spend much on stock stuff that i might change (ie front end )
Gerry

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts

It's all the help I could give tonight. I'll measure my forks tomorrow where you asked for when I go into the shop.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts

this is abnormal for an 86 with 18" wheels, but not if it has 17" wheels. i had to cut my sidestand on my 86 when i switched to 17" wheels. what do you have on your bike? also, are you sure the side stand is correct for the bike? tell us more or better yet, post photos, otherwise, it will be futile.

·
3,484 Posts

this is abnormal for an 86 with 18" wheels, but not if it has 17" wheels. i had to cut my sidestand on my 86 when i switched to 17" wheels. what do you have on your bike? also, are you sure the side stand is correct for the bike? tell us more or better yet, post photos, otherwise, it will be futile.
Ditto
Most likely a combo of worn suspension and 17"wheels.....R

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i think its just worn springs, i have the stock18' wheels, i went to the gallery and found some stock bikes.
my springs are shot!!!

thanks for all who responded
Gerry

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes that is true, thats why i'm gonna load up the front end with some pipe to raise it for the safety test, i don't want to upgrade these forks as i am looking for a usd,i have some 17"s on the way.
I just want to get it licensed/plated , so as i don't have the hassle of the inspection after the mods.
gerry

·
Registered
10 Posts

Spacing your springs will help,but it won't work very well.If you are a heavier rider it works great with good springs,but if you are trying to save some money,well what the heck.Also make sure someone didn't stick on a 750 front end.It is about an inch shorter than the 11's.750 forks have hydraulic antidive with"PDF"stickers on them,and the 11 has electronic antidive,and you'll see wires coming up each fork and plugging in by the headlights into the harness.You can try heating and stretching your springs,then reheating and quenching them too.Good luck and enjoy your bike!!Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.