Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am extremely height challenged at 4'10! I am considering some aftermarket rearsets, in hopes that will help me. I have an 07 GSXR 750. Any opinions or suggestions on which ones would suit me best/help the most? Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
what is the issue you are having? is it reaching everything comfortable? Pro-lux racing (forum sponser) makes some adjustment plates for the stock rear sets that will give you a 1" back and an 1.5" up from stock. At less than $75 you cant beat it :cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the issue you are having? is it reaching everything comfortable? Pro-lux racing (forum sponser) makes some adjustment plates for the stock rear sets that will give you a 1" back and an 1.5" up from stock. At less than $75 you cant beat it :cheers
I am fine with everything except reaching the ground, I don't know what differences a aftermarket rearset would make if any at all, but I want to find out all my options so I can avoid lowering the bike more than necessary. I just want to be more comfortable footing wise.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I am fine with everything except reaching the ground, I don't know what differences a aftermarket rearset would make if any at all, but I want to find out all my options so I can avoid lowering the bike more than necessary. I just want to be more comfortable footing wise.
Rear sets are only going to adjust your footing on the bike. The actually seat height of the bike will not change. your going to have to lower the whole thing in order to reach. Only thing i could recommend further would be to have your seat "shaved" down. that will get you around another 1" or so but then your seat isnt going to be that comfortable :cursing

·
Proof u can't fix stupid
6,222 Posts
I'm the same height as you are with the same bike. Yah, reaching the ground is a challenge for sure. First and foremost, shave your seat down as much as you can while maintaining comfort (any upholstery shop can do this) I have Vortex adjustable rearsets on mine. Rearsets will help with riding comfort but will have nothing to do with you reaching the ground. However, adjusted up all the way, they will help save you from smacking your shins and calves every time you put a foot down to stop. Aside from that, get thicker soled boots and slide your butt off the seat some when you come to a stop if you need to.

IF you need to lower your bike, make sure you drop both the rear and the front of the bike. I don't know what type of riding you do but I had mine lowered for quite some time and it wasn't a problem on the street other than you could feel more bumps in the road. I even had it on the track for quite some time before I got to the point that couldn't push the bike any harder before experiencing handling problems because of the lowering which was at intermediate group pace. I finally had to raise the bike up and can no longer reach the ground which is a whole new challenge in itself but it's what I had to do to keep riding the track. If you want it bad enough, anything is possible. :cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm the same height as you are with the same bike. Yah, reaching the ground is a challenge for sure. First and foremost, shave your seat down as much as you can while maintaining comfort (any upholstery shop can do this) I have Vortex adjustable rearsets on mine. Rearsets will help with riding comfort but will have nothing to do with you reaching the ground. However, adjusted up all the way, they will help save you from smacking your shins and calves every time you put a foot down to stop. Aside from that, get thicker soled boots and slide your butt off the seat some when you come to a stop if you need to.

IF you need to lower your bike, make sure you drop both the rear and the front of the bike. I don't know what type of riding you do but I had mine lowered for quite some time and it wasn't a problem on the street other than you could feel more bumps in the road. I even had it on the track for quite some time before I got to the point that couldn't push the bike any harder before experiencing handling problems because of the lowering which was at intermediate group pace. I finally had to raise the bike up and can no longer reach the ground which is a whole new challenge in itself but it's what I had to do to keep riding the track. If you want it bad enough, anything is possible. :cheers
Finally some one the same height as me! lol most people only understand so much because even though they may also be short there is a huge difference in even just a couple inches. I am suppose to get my seat shaved, just wanted to try to find a way to keep it comfortable :/ I ride only street right now, but I want to do track, just not sure if I want to use my current bike or get a separate only track bike. My bike is being painted right now and I dont want to ruin a brand new paint job.
The handling is what worries me, right now the bike is lowered an inch and with heeled riding boots I tiptoe (barely). Had an incident with a deer about 6 months ago and laid the bike over from not being able to touch enough to catch the bike and so i decided to lower it more.
What do you do about not being able to reach anymore?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear sets are only going to adjust your footing on the bike. The actually seat height of the bike will not change. your going to have to lower the whole thing in order to reach. Only thing i could recommend further would be to have your seat "shaved" down. that will get you around another 1" or so but then your seat isnt going to be that comfortable :cursing
I figured they might not help, well darn lol. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys :]

·
Proof u can't fix stupid
6,222 Posts
Finally some one the same height as me! lol most people only understand so much because even though they may also be short there is a huge difference in even just a couple inches. I am suppose to get my seat shaved, just wanted to try to find a way to keep it comfortable :/ I ride only street right now, but I want to do track, just not sure if I want to use my current bike or get a separate only track bike. My bike is being painted right now and I dont want to ruin a brand new paint job.
The handling is what worries me, right now the bike is lowered an inch and with heeled riding boots I tiptoe (barely). Had an incident with a deer about 6 months ago and laid the bike over from not being able to touch enough to catch the bike and so i decided to lower it more.
What do you do about not being able to reach anymore?
I agree..unless you're as short as we are you don't really know what the challenges are. :biggrin

If you want to ride the track, do it. You won't regret it. Use your current bike to start. If you know someone who rides the track and has some track plastics, borrow them if you are worried about your paint that much. Otherwise get out there, ride and enjoy it. If you get hooked, just buy a set of track plastics...you can get used ones for a couple hundred bucks. After you've spent some time of the track then make the decisions about another bike. Since we raised my bike back up to stock height, it took my ability to ride the streets away from me, but that was my choice in the end. Before we raised it back up I found I was riding the track only and not riding on the streets in between track days so going to track only was an easy transistion for me and I had no need for a second bike.

For simplicity, I made wood boxes that I stop at since my feet are both about 6" off the ground now. If necessary, I can jump off the bike. It's a bit of a pain but it works. You can start with your bike lowered on the track as long as you keep in mind it will handle a little differently but if you're used to riding it lowered, it won't be a big deal vs someone else jumping on it and taking it for a spin that's never ridden a bike that's lowered. :cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree..unless you're as short as we are you don't really know what the challenges are. :biggrin

If you want to ride the track, do it. You won't regret it. Use your current bike to start. If you know someone who rides the track and has some track plastics, borrow them if you are worried about your paint that much. Otherwise get out there, ride and enjoy it. If you get hooked, just buy a set of track plastics...you can get used ones for a couple hundred bucks. After you've spent some time of the track then make the decisions about another bike. Since we raised my bike back up to stock height, it took my ability to ride the streets away from me, but that was my choice in the end. Before we raised it back up I found I was riding the track only and not riding on the streets in between track days so going to track only was an easy transistion for me and I had no need for a second bike.

For simplicity, I made wood boxes that I stop at since my feet are both about 6" off the ground now. If necessary, I can jump off the bike. It's a bit of a pain but it works. You can start with your bike lowered on the track as long as you keep in mind it will handle a little differently but if you're used to riding it lowered, it won't be a big deal vs someone else jumping on it and taking it for a spin that's never ridden a bike that's lowered. :cheers
Thats great. I love that you make it work, i've had people say i shouldnt be on a bike since im not tall enough etc. I really want to do a track day, and I wouldnt mind using my bike i have now If i did have other plastics, I'll have to look into that for sure. I prob wont be able to start the track for a bit though, I work mon-fri and most of the track days near me are mon or fridays! :[

·
Proof u can't fix stupid
6,222 Posts
Thats great. I love that you make it work, i've had people say i shouldnt be on a bike since im not tall enough etc. I really want to do a track day, and I wouldnt mind using my bike i have now If i did have other plastics, I'll have to look into that for sure. I prob wont be able to start the track for a bit though, I work mon-fri and most of the track days near me are mon or fridays! :[
When I started looking for a new bike I can't tell you how many times I was told I wasn't going to be able to ride one of these bikes much less (once the bike was lowered) ever ride it on the track. Well I did. Don't worry about what other people tell you. It can be done. Sounds like you need to come down with a case of the swine flu and call in sick on a Mon or Fri :biggrin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I started looking for a new bike I can't tell you how many times I was told I wasn't going to be able to ride one of these bikes much less (once the bike was lowered) ever ride it on the track. Well I did. Don't worry about what other people tell you. It can be done. Sounds like you need to come down with a case of the swine flu and call in sick on a Mon or Fri :biggrin
Haha. I wish I could! Its a new job though and I'm in a ninety day period then I get a review and raise so I want to wait to miss work at all! lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm the same height as you, and I'm considering buying my friends 750 to build as a streetfighter. I can't find the adjustment plates anywhere, but I have a few friends, one of which has fabricated me a few plates for my other bikes (my legs are short!). I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in buying any? They would be going up a couple inches (hopefully), but I'm not entirely familiar with them yet. Also if anybody has any other resources that would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I'm 5'1" & on my 3rd Gixxer, so I'm really tall :biggrin but can relate. A friend shaves my seats for me & the trick is to add really good foam to it. He uses a yoga pad & some firm memory foam, then he has an upholestery shop restaple the cover on the frame (cause that's the hard part).

Next, I add boots with thick soles. The Daytona Lady Stars are suppose to add extra height but I've never tried them. I remember they were spendy, but worth it if they work. I find I can manage with less in a controlled environment, like my Sidi's for the track.

Last track day I rode with a woman who couldn't have been over 4'10". She was on a Yamaha R6 her husband had custom altered for her. They'd gotten rid of the stock seat pan & moved things forward somehow. It wasn't pretty but it worked! He worked on making sure the geometry still worked, too.

I've managed to figure out a way to ride sportbikes without lowering my bikes, mostly by sticking with Gixxers, but whatever it takes to ride is worth it in my book. I can't imagine having missed out on this!

So... you go girl :punk:punk:punk

·
Registered
2 Posts
To sell you must be a contributing member and post in the classifieds or be a site vendor.
I apologize. I was only looking to see if there was interest and see if there wer other available resources that I was missing.

I'm 5'1" & on my 3rd Gixxer, so I'm really tall :biggrin but can relate. A friend shaves my seats for me & the trick is to add really good foam to it. He uses a yoga pad & some firm memory foam, then he has an upholestery shop restaple the cover on the frame (cause that's the hard part).

Next, I add boots with thick soles. The Daytona Lady Stars are suppose to add extra height but I've never tried them. I remember they were spendy, but worth it if they work. I find I can manage with less in a controlled environment, like my Sidi's for the track.

Last track day I rode with a woman who couldn't have been over 4'10". She was on a Yamaha R6 her husband had custom altered for her. They'd gotten rid of the stock seat pan & moved things forward somehow. It wasn't pretty but it worked! He worked on making sure the geometry still worked, too.

I've managed to figure out a way to ride sportbikes without lowering my bikes, mostly by sticking with Gixxers, but whatever it takes to ride is worth it in my book. I can't imagine having missed out on this!

So... you go girl :punk:punk:punk
It's not necessarily standing up, but having better and raising my legs closer to the tank, and being able to have a better range of motion. I've always been fine with leaning off the seat so standing has is not the issue, only sometimes maybe on the road (not that I'm on the road often). Even then there are lots of things that can give you an extra few inches!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts