Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am the one with the 86 GSXR 750 and plan on using the 34mm 89 Katana 1100 carbs. Running 4 single air filters and a yosh full pipe.

I orderd a tank fixing kit(rust), Dynojet stage 3 kit, and a petcock.

At one time the bike ran ok after I went through the whole fuel system including the carbs that were Mikuni aftermarket race 36mm true flat slides. But they were in such bad shape from sitting they were in bad need of rebuild and Mikuni did not make parts for them anymore.

So I stopped at Manley Cycle of Minneapolis MN who is just a few blocks from my house. I wanted to let them know I would get the carbs set up as close as I could before bringing the bike to the dyno.

The gentleman there told me to bring the stock jets and such because he would end up not using the jet kit and instead told me he would get it to run great with the stock setup.

I said hold on now I have been doing a ton of research both on the net and talking to other GSXR owners/racers about these old cycles. I told him that when you remove the airbox and put a pipe on this thing that this is the way to go.

He said hog wash and that I need to buy the stock carbs and airbox for the bike. Anyhow after about 10 min of explaining my case I gave up. The guy seemed really pissed. I was just bummed and was starting to see that this place is not living up to the good rep I have heard about.

I know if they let me see the dyno info and the 02 readings I could tune it. I dont think thats gonna happen.

Maybe they are right but my research says no.

Ayhow I just had to vent and wanted this experience of mine on the net because I am sure others have been down this road or will someday.

Comments welcome

Help me get my GIXXER goin..... I only paid $750 for this bike that has 4k on it and has lived in a barn for most of its life. It has 90+? suspension and looks bad ass. Maybe I will get enough comments to take to this shop and they will give it a try.
Thanks
GregW
86GSXR 750

·
Registered
434 Posts
go to www.robbynitroz.nl then to I think the boulevard page, there are links to tuning articles by englands top tuners on early gixxers seem to remember its called supertune time.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
more recent bikes do not respond well to removing airboxes and putting on individual filters (you lose a lot more than you gain)....so the mechanic may have assumed this was the case with older bikes as well. it just means that he doesn't have much experience with the older gsxr's....

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Jeff said "rejet it", and it was rejetted
then Jeff said "let there be light", and there was light

·
Registered
518 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GregW:
The gentleman there told me to bring the stock jets and such because he would end up not using the jet kit and instead told me he would get it to run great with the stock setup.

I said hold on now I have been doing a ton of research both on the net and talking to other GSXR owners/racers about these old cycles. I told him that when you remove the airbox and put a pipe on this thing that this is the way to go.

He said hog wash and that I need to buy the stock carbs and airbox for the bike. Anyhow after about 10 min of explaining my case I gave up. The guy seemed really pissed. I was just bummed and was starting to see that this place is not living up to the good rep I have heard about.
<hr></blockquote>

Let me first say that your "mechanic" if that's what you want to call him is full of SHIT.

Yes, you can get the bike running well with the stock carbs. However, you can get the bike running STOOPID-FAST-CRAZY-AWESOME if you put in a jet kit when you swap your pipe. Fuck, you're going to be in there anyway since you have to retune the carbs due to the loss of backpressure so you might as well!

Af far as stock carbs, that's bullshit as well. you don't HAVE to run stock carbs. Look around, half of the people who post in the oil-cooled forum have upgraded carbs.

Your mechanic just doesn't know what he's talking about and is vainly attempting to save his ass by telling you that you have to run stock parts. This is not true.

Don't worry, we ARE living up to our excellent reputation, it's your mechanic who isn't. We'd never let ya down!

-phreak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts