Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need info on an \'89 750

I am looking at buying an '89 750 and would like to know what this is worth and what I should look for. For example, any common problems, etc.

Thanks!

19K miles
Fox shock with ride height (newly rebuilt)
Storz steering damper (newly rebuilt)
aluminum case covers
twin pod K&N's
Dynojet kit
Vance & Hines Supersport pipe
brand new rear tire
pretty new EK chain (4K miles)
dynoed at 96 rear wheel hp
never raced or on track

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: Need info on an \'89 750

the book value on that bike, in dealer condition, is $3500...and as for if it's worth it, I say if you can get it for less that or around $3000 (these are US dollars) GO FOR IT!!! Old Skool gixxers are super easy to work on and will run forever...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Really? Where did you see that value? I saw $1700

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: CorvetteChris ]</p>

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

What do you plan to do with the bike? Are you going to race, just ride on the street. Do you like to tinker with your toys?
I personally like the old school gixxers, but if you want to race I hear the 89 short strokes are hard to get more power out of. Hopefully someone here has one and can give you first hand knowledge.
Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Track use only. (Road course) a little drag racing at the local strip.

Yes I like to work on my own bikes/cars. I did a total frame-off on my 78 vette and I have rebuilt a few motorcycle engines in the past.

G

·

I loved my old 88 GSXR 750!! Wish I still had it! How much you going to give for it anyway?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Have not agreed on a price yet. Still not sure I WANT THIS one. There is a 1100 frame with a 750 motor $1300 and a 1100 for about $2500 I am also looking at.

That is why I am asking here. The bikes I had in the past were all cruisers. I wanted a GSXR 1100 back in '88, but never bought one. I had a bad wreck on the street (standard idiot pulling out in front of cycle rider) and bought a dirt bike instead. I loved the GSXR's.

My brother has had a couple GSXR 750's (I rode one) but they were all post 95's.

What can you tell me about the "vintage" '89's?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: CorvetteChris ]</p>

G

·

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CorvetteChris:
Have not agreed on a price yet. Still not sure I WANT THIS one. There is a 1100 frame with a 750 motor $1300 and a 1100 for about $2500 I am also looking at.

That is why I am asking here. The bikes I had in the past were all cruisers. I wanted a GSXR 1100 back in '88, but never bought one. I had a bad wreck on the street (standard idiot pulling out in front of cycle rider) and bought a dirt bike instead. I loved the GSXR's.

My brother has had a couple GSXR 750's (I rode one) but they were all post 95's.

What can you tell me about the "vintage" '89's?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: CorvetteChris ]
<hr></blockquote>

If you are going to be doing more roadracing than anything else then a 750 engine in a 750 chassis is the prefered combo. The 750 engine in an 1100 frame is not a good way to go because the 1100 chassis is longer, I think it had a 58" wheelbase where as the 750 had a 55.5" wheelbase. So the 750 chassis will handle the corners much better! The 1100 engine/chassis would be better for drag racing only. for the price of the 1100 framed 750 you could stick a 750 swingarm on it and that would shorten it up. $1300.00 is cheap but what kind of shape is it in? The bike you originally posted had all the right stuff for roadracing though but if it's in prestine condition then I would shelve the stock body when I took it to the track....

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: GixxerRacer371 ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

yeah, the 89 750 would make a decent track bike....of course, it depends on what exactly you're going to do with it....if it's just for track days, it will do just fine. these are also eligible for certain vintage racing classes (wera's vintage 6 class comes immediately to mind), if that's what you want to pursue.

no major issues, at least in sane near-stock form.
the 88-89 750's are the 'short stroke' 750's.....power output is pretty peaky (pretty much all suzuki gsxr750's are quite peaky, but these even more so), but on the track this shouldn't be too much of an issue. you could always drop in an 1100 motor if you need more power....

the only major thing i can think of with this particular example is that you might want the forks revalved/rebuilt....stock, these weren't the worst, but they can definitely be improved, especially for track duty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Interesting. So early GSXs were shorter stroke more displacement huh?

Track days of the type of the school at road atlanta is what I'm looking to do. If I get good enough to need a faster bike, I'd be surprised. I've been riding since I was 10 (20+ years) but I won't kid myself into thinking I am a good "racer". I'll try to take it slow. You know how that goes.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CorvetteChris:
Interesting. So early GSXs were shorter stroke more displacement huh?
<hr></blockquote>

it's a little more complicated than that.

the 85-87 750 motors had bore and stroke of 70mm and 48.7mm, respectively, for a total displacement of 749cc's.

the 88-89 750 (except for the non-u.s. 'limited edition' 89 gsxr750rr) 'short stroke' motors had bore and stroke of 73mm and 44.7mm, respectively, for a total displacement of 748cc's. the 1989 gsxr750rr had the long stroke configuration.

the 90-95 750's went back to 70mmx48.7mm.

from 96 on (the completely redesigned gsxr's with a different frame design), the 750 motors are 72mmx46mm (749cc).

at any rate, i think you'll have fun with it.....the motors on these bikes are pretty much bulletproof. they're oil cooled, so use a quality oil (preferably a synthetic), change it often, and it'll be happy. valve adjustment intervals are every 3000 miles (very frequent compared to recent motors), and the motors can be fairly sensitive to valve clearances, so don't neglect them. aside from that, i can't think of anything else really special or intensive in the way of maintenance.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

If you're looking for short stroke motor parts, ebay had some recently, do a search for gsxr and you'll see what's available.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:

valve adjustment intervals are every 3000 miles (very frequent compared to recent motors)
<hr></blockquote>

How do you adjust the valves in this bike? I am just wondering because I am also looking for a '89 750 with 41.000 km's (or 26.000 miles) on the clock, and would like to know how much work -or €, as would not be doing the job my self - I would have to allow for it.

Thanks,
Hese

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

it's not difficult....these motors use threaded adjusters, so all you need are a feeler gauge and tappet wrenches (you don't have to use tappet wrenches, but it makes it easier). measure clearances.....any that are off, undo the locknut, turn the adjuster, and tighten the locknut down....double check, and that's it.

not like on more recent motors where you need to remove cams and adjust clearances with shims.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts