Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a chunk out of second gear. Need to know if anyone has ever installed stronger than stock gears on their bike and where they got them.

Also wondering if it is a good idea to put them in only 1st and 2nd since mashing the throttle in 3rd really scares the crap out of me. Of course I will be getting the opposing gears if I can find a place that has what I want.

I am pretty sure it is a hp thing that broke the gear. Not a misplaced shift since it happend arround redline in second. In other words I shifted then mashed the throttle and used all of second before it let loose.

By the way this engine is a friggin brain teaser. How did they fit all that stuff in to such a small space.....

1986 GSXR 750 Frame
36mm slingshots
Yosh Full pipe
86 750 engine
92 1100 wheels and suspension.
No idea how much hp

Thanks

GregW

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You can harden a gear yourself by heating it until it is lightly red, then cool it in oil. You will need to be careful when heating it to make the light red color the same across the entire gear. If it varies in color then the hardening will fluctuate.

I've done this to other things, but I don't know if it will be the right hardness to help. If it's too hard then it's too brittle...Good Luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have been getting schooled today about my old-school.

APE says no go only stock available.

Cycle concepts was extreamly helpfull and they really know their stuff...... Going with a harder gear makes it more brittle and will make it last longer but also make it break easier. They recomended using the 5 speed 1100 tranny and change out the sprokets.

For now I think I am gonna just go stock and finnish out the cycle season up here in Minnesota.

Dealer wants $71 for the counter and $59 for the gear. Anyone know a cheap place to get this stuff????

Hopefully I will break it again and be forced to finnaly get an 1100 engine....

Thanks

GregW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts