Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2007 GSXR 750, ( in pics) and I have a problem as of lately.... I have a new battery... I made sure it was fully charged overnight with a smart charger....then i went for a ride today...about 20 min away, bike did wonderful.... Now I went to start it to leave and took forever cranking to start.... Once we left, I made it about a mile until the bike died completely...and would not jumpstart from a roll.... I am almost certain it is a stator issue, so I have ordered a new one online yesterday, waiting for it in the mail..... I am also unsure about the rectifier in this case....could it only be the stator? Or both? I have ordered the stator to replace it....but I'm un-aware if it may also be the rectifier/ regulator.... It will not charge battery while I'm riding, which leans me towards stator, but I looked at rectifier wires at plug end and seems to have minimal melting damage at plug...so.....could it be both? Opinions please are welcome, and I have checked all fuses plus added Brand New battery, anything helps, thanks guys, as always , stay safe ....... And Gixxer on!! 馃敟馃挜馃槇

Premium Member
How about you actually diagnose what is the problem. In most cases it's the R/R and you should read about relocating it.

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the stator...now it was doing fine for approx. A week... Then all a sudden, today, it won't electric start again...it will push start and ride fine and not die... But for some reason will not start with button...I checked relay, it's good...and also...my horn is VERY VERY quiet...I'm guessing regular/rectifier? Any help appreciated, thanks a lot....

Registered
鈥06 GSXR 750, with Lorry lights
with stators and R/R鈥檚, if one of them goes bad it can cause the other to fail as well.

The R/R does two jobs, it routes power from the stator to all your bikes electrical systems to power them while riding, and also it controls the supply of power to recharge the battery. These are done in two separate 鈥渞outes鈥 (excuse my lack of official terminology) so it is possible that your stator and r/r are able to power the bike once you get it push started, but it may not be recharging the battery.

Look up how to relocate the regulator/rectifier, I recently moved mine to the air box and installed a volt meter display to the battery so I can watch my voltage both while running and while the bike is off to check just the battery level.

Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
^^^ not quite. The output of the R/R is a direct connection to the battery. If the voltage is higher than the battery, it will accept a charge. If lower, it will give off charge. This is why you hear all the time that the battery won't charge at idle. The R/R takes a high AC voltage, and rectifies it to a DC voltage. It also regulates that voltage to something that won't fry the entire system, 14-15V. So if the R/R loses its ability to regulate, the high DC voltage spikes the system. If the rectifier side goes bad, it an create a short circuit and burn a stator coil. If you really look at the electrical of the system, most things can have an input voltage between about 10V and 18V and be fine. The ECM actually has it's own voltage regulator for a lot of the EFI sensors with a 5V output.

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys so much for your help... Turns out my regulator/Rectifier was bad... Replaced it... Charged my battery with a smart charger and...viola...problem fixed... Now a daily rider again!! Once again, thanks guys!! 馃構馃榿

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And one more thing... The other day I was showing out on the freeway, ( for some college kids) and went all the way to 16k rpm before hitting 4th gear... By then I was FLYING and backed out.... But here we are a week later.... And when I actually GET ON IT, I can get to 10k rpm no problems... But.. 11k rpm +... I start to get a ......."STUTTER" ? SHE DONT WANNA KEEP CLIMBING.... WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS? CHECKED EVERYTHING....everything looks good... But possibly a bad plug? Or what am I missing guys? PLEASE HELP....also....no shift light at high rpm, which I can live without...but main concern...is she hesitates.... HARD..... to pull after 11k rpm... She doesn't wanna go back up to 14k + rpm....what could cause this.....stutter...? 馃馃...... Thanks in advance, Matt. 馃榿

Test the fuel pump.

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@TheGeek

How can I do that?
Any info? I know it sounds like it did when it was new still...no fuel problems...especially when engaged with red switch to on I can hear it loud and clear.....it goes.....hmmmmmhmmm......."start"....

Well, if you're working on your own bike, you should swallow the price for a factory service manual. It's described as the "fuel discharge amount inspection". I did a video of it with my 2005. Your pump wire colors are the same, but you have a 4 wire connection to the pump assembly, and I only have three. Make sure you get it right! Y/R to the positive, B/W to the negative.

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have service manual.... And thanks for the vid... Bike runs EXCELLENT...it's not getting "stuck" at any rpm range.. it is just... If you throw it to her,(open throttle on highway) it will climb and climb in rpm range, then BOG OUT AND IN AROUND 11K TO 12K AND DOESNT WANNA GO ABOVE IT UNLESS YOU KEEP IT THROTTLED.....Weird because just a few days ago took it all the way to 16k before shift and had zero problems... Then all a sudden....this happens now lol 馃槀... P.s. thanks for all your help brother', you the man.....

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@TheGeek
Thank you soooo much for the video bro'....it's very helpful... I will test today and post results...if results ARE good....what else could cause it? Plug? Coil pack? 馃馃

Well, every fuel pump works fine... until it doesn't. That's why the diagnostics are so important. Especially the simple tests that can reveal a lot of information.

@TheGeek
Thank you soooo much for the video bro'....it's very helpful... I will test today and post results...if results ARE good....what else could cause it? Plug? Coil pack? 馃馃
One step at a time. When were the plugs last changed?

Registered
2007 GSXR 750
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@TheGeek
Yes you are correct.... And I'm not sure.... plugs.....Probably 6 months or more at the least and over a year at max?? Just bought it two months ago 馃榿

1 - 15 of 15 Posts