Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may be keeping my 86 GSXR 1100 and want to know all that i am going to encounter sticking inverted forks on this machine?
Tell me all the info

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Not you too.
I should do a web site for USD conversions.

Okay. In a perfect world you'll find...

...a complete front end. This is defined as a front wheel, brake rotors, calipers, brake lines, fender, axle, left & right fork legs, lower triple clamp, upper triple clamp, ignition cylinder and clip-ons.

...There is some limited cross over between years of gixxers and their front ends. As a rule, the model run of a bike is a safe way to go. This doesn't mean that a '94 750 and a '94 1100 will have interchangable parts.

...triple check every measurement before you commit to a purchase.

...If you go to eBay and are patient you will find what you need. But you may still have to buy items from the dealer. This will frustrate you. I waited something like 6 months for a lower triple for my '94 front end. The week I ordered a new one for $280 from my Suzuki dealer, 3 were available on ebay.

...a site for wheel, rotor and axle dimensions and compatibility is at SuzukiGSXR.net. It is what I used for my 17" conversion and I find the data mostly accurate.

...for your '86 you'll end up grinding or cutting off the steering stops on the USD lower triple. I did on my 750.

In the end you'll have a stiffer front end with a USD. It may be adjusted better, if you take the time to dial it in that is. And it'll look cool too!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah, what he said.
I put a 92 1100 front end on mine. I bought a complete front end and it bolted straight on. It's a pretty easy mod to do if you stick with the early 90's usd forks.
Good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
i have a set of 1993 gsxr750 forks no trees and a pair of 1993 gsxr1100 polished wheels 4 sale

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much for the stuff?
the wheels are a dime a dozen here in town and the parts for the forks not a problem

but to get the front end and legs i will need so how much for the forks??????

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought that 91-92 forks were the only route you could go with the conversion/ well the only way to make it easy.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The USD front ends came in two styles the 750's and 1100's. the 1100's are about 1.5 inches longer than the 750 to allow for the clip-ons on top of the upper triple clamp. the other difference is in the triple clamps the 91-92 use a single steering stop that works with the 90 and down frames and the 93-95 750 and 93-98 1100 style clamps that use two steering stops that will need to be ground off or they will interfear with your frames steering head. Both styles of triple clamps will slip right into your frame but the fork tubes are different sizes in 91-92 vs the 93 and up. if you want to use SRAD or 01 and newer fork tubes they will fit into the 93 and newer clamps.
hope this helps
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
There's a local salvage yard that has a complete front end (bars and brake master cyl included) from a `96 750... the guy has had trouble getting rid of it because the front wheel is purple... I've been thinking about taking it off his hands for him, but not sure how easy it would be for me to get rid of my `89 front end if I do the deal... what's a complete `89 front end worth, anyone know?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got a 87 1100 and I'm planning on putting on a 94 1100 USD front end. My question is after I grind down the 2 steering stops will I need to fabricate a new single one? I was planning on going with an earlier triple until now I hear that the tubes are a different size.

·
Registered
354 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jimmyhat:
how much for the stuff?
the wheels are a dime a dozen here in town and the parts for the forks not a problem

but to get the front end and legs i will need so how much for the forks??????
<hr></blockquote>
i will take 200 for the forks or i can sell youa complete front end for 350 just let me know what year you want i got a salvage yard

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ClassicGSXR:
I've got a 87 1100 and I'm planning on putting on a 94 1100 USD front end. My question is after I grind down the 2 steering stops will I need to fabricate a new single one? I was planning on going with an earlier triple until now I hear that the tubes are a different size.

Also, will the clip on's clear in the original 94 position above the upper triple?
<hr></blockquote>

Yes, you will need to make steering stops. But they might work out like mine. They clip-ons touch the upper area of the frame and act as a stop.

I don't think you'll get the stock clip ons to clamp above the upper triple. You'd have to drop the front end a bunch and I don't see that you'd enjoy the way the bike would handle. You might want a pair of Heli clip-ons, if they make the rise that you want...and it doesn't hit the fairing when turning.

Bones-GSXR...I don't know if the 1100 legs are longer but they are a completely different diameter and brand. The 750's had Showa forks and the 1100's had Kayaba forks. The Kayaba legs are larger around (stiffer too) but they bolt on the frame just as easily.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zuke4me are you warren?
Did you call me????
I want a set of 93 forks front end complete would be great/ the calipers clipons front wheel etc,, all of it i want to slam it on my bike but I DO NOT WANT BENT SHIT...
need the cleanest stuff. email me?
And again are you warren?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FastCat:
There's a local salvage yard that has a complete front end (bars and brake master cyl included) from a `96 750... the guy has had trouble getting rid of it because the front wheel is purple... I've been thinking about taking it off his hands for him, but not sure how easy it would be for me to get rid of my `89 front end if I do the deal... what's a complete `89 front end worth, anyone know?<hr></blockquote>

fast cat have tons of 89 stuff lurking here awaiting to be bought???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601190156&ed=1012454646

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jimmyhat:

actually you already have bought a front wheel???
<hr></blockquote>

No, I haven't decided yet if I want to get the whole front end, or just the wheel, or maybe do the cheap out and see if I can repair the old wheel... I won't *really* know til I try to get the tire mounted and balanced... My logic went like this: If I could get oh say... $400 for my complete front end as-is, then I can buy the whole `96 front end and do the USD swap and still come out for a little over what the wheel alone would cost me... I just haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it yet. Hell, it's winter in Seattle, and I know I gotta do sumpin' with it before the weather gets good again, but I'm sorta lacking in enthusiasm to swap the whole front end in the parking lot outside my apartment... and I don't have any idea where I'd put the old front-end if I can't sell it... I don't think the girlfriend would let me leave it in the living-room...

Oh, and PS... Warren Debona in NY? He's a good guy... I bought some stuff from him a few weeks ago and it got here in the same condition as he described it. I don't think he posts here very often.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: FastCat ]</p>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts