• Blue Icon

Votes: 3 17.6%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
So I am looking for a spare helmet for passengers and am having trouble with deciding which one to get. I went to my local stealership today and they are running 50% off all icon gear in stock :eek . I have an icon domain helmet right now. Well the three helmets that were in stock that were mediums (only passengers will be females :D ) I have a black and silver K6 gsxr 600. So the picture below shows the bike and my helmet in the top corner. In the lower left corner are the three helmets that are available. I want something that will look good with the bike and my helmet. So let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would buy a quality helmet. Most people that have full coverage have very low medical if you wreck your bike. Want some bitch comming after you for a ton of money or spend a little extra and give her good gear. I am picking up a suomy for my passengers (also females). I would rather wait a couple extra weeks and not take them then and get enough for a quality lid.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Someone once shared a valuable piece of wisdom with me, that I shall share with you now! Get whatever you think looks cool - not whatever matches the best. I started with a yellow/black gsxr 600, and got a matching yellow/black/silver Arai helmet. I've had that helmet now through the yellow/black gsxr, a red/black gsxr and now a blue/white one. I don't really like the yellow/black that much if it doesn't match my bike, but I can't justify dropping another $300-400 just to get a new colored helmet. I wouldn't have that problem if I just got whatever I thought looked the coolest in the first place. That said, I'd probably go with the green. The color tones seem to match everything else better than the rest, and it's a cool lookin' helmet.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
None of them.

Icon helmets are garbage. Buy something quality. It is your brain after all.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, since the majority of you are saying that Icon is junk, what makes them a piece of shit? One of my buddies was wearing his Icon when he went down (totalled) on his R1 and he smacked his head twice and his brain was perfectly fine. (Well that's kinda questionable to begin with) Helmet had a small crack where he smacked it the first time. Also physik3r, your picture didn't work. Try to be funny and manages to backfire. haha

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have a icon mainframe helmet and at first it seemed like it was pretty good quality. but now that i have had it for a while it scratches waaaaay to easy, its noisy, the vent switch on the chin broke and the one up top is on its last leg, fits nice tho. if its all you can afford its been pretty good to me and they look cool.

good look/fit.......quality not so much

but just on looks i dont really think any of them look good especially that purple one with the damn gold trim:piss

is say go for the green or yellow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I know that I can afford more, but the deal is that the dealership is running 50% off all icon gear. So the helmet is normal $260 but I'm paying $130. So if I were to go to another helmet brand, I would have to pay full retail. Get my flow? Plus I can't really justify spending tons of money for a helmet that looks sweet, if it's going to be for a passenger. As far as quality goes, I have never had any problems with the icon that I own now, and I have had it for a couple of months. I own the Icon Domain, the top model out right now. Cooling in that helmet is unbelievable and it is really comfortable after break in. The reasoning behind getting a mainframe for a passenger helmet goes as follows:
1) I've heard that the helmet is pretty good overall (except for the chin switch breaking every now and then). Obviously it is safe in a crash as it meets all safety standards.
2) Probably not gonna need a ton of cooling power, cause it's gonna be for a chick (which are usually cool all the time anyways).

So don't think that I can't afford to buy a more expensive helmet. But I just can't justify buying a shoei or arai for something that is only going to be used every now and then. I've used Icon, and I have some friends that ride Icon, and all of us have been very pleased so far.

·
Registered
360 Posts
For $130 then it's a pretty good deal... How bout HJC lids? I've seen them for around a $100 on sale..

These helmets suck when compared to a good lid such as a Shoei or Arai... It's all about what you want to spend...

I like the look of Icon's.. they fit good too.. but they suck to ride in.. they are loud.. move around and are of shitty build quality.. but are they 1/2 as good as a Shoei? Yeah they are 1/2 as much too..

You can Ebay a Shoei Lid off ebay for round $200 but it will be a solid..

·
Registered
285 Posts
SPL170db said:
None of them.

Icon helmets are garbage. Buy something quality. It is your brain after all.

speak on this. What is the difference between 2 snell helmets? I realize fitment is an issue, as i can sure as hell tell that the cheekpads in my current trashcan are garbage. Im shopping right now, and ive tried on the rf1000 and liked it...but sure cant tell what the difference between that and the new tzr is...other than 100 bucks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Then buy a flat black or white and get something like a Shoei, Arai, or Suomy. Don't buy it for looks then but buy a good lid. I have seen a shoei after 100+mph on the road go down and no cracks just partially worn away. Any helmet may save your life but which one is more lakely to do it. Arai's and Suomy's have a lot of air flow if thats what your looking for.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
GSXR-6 said:
speak on this. What is the difference between 2 snell helmets? I realize fitment is an issue, as i can sure as hell tell that the cheekpads in my current trashcan are garbage. Im shopping right now, and ive tried on the rf1000 and liked it...but sure cant tell what the difference between that and the new tzr is...other than 100 bucks.
A member on the forum reported that theirs split in a light get off. Many members on here have reported quality/durablity issues with them. Not to mention there's not a single pro rider (unless you consider stunters but they ride at parking lot speeds) that wears one. That's enough incentive for me to look elsewhere, especially when you can find stuff from much more reputable companies for the same price.

·
Registered
387 Posts
SPL170db said:
A member on the forum reported that theirs split in a light get off. Many members on here have reported quality/durablity issues with them. Not to mention there's not a single pro rider (unless you consider stunters but they ride at parking lot speeds) that wears one. That's enough incentive for me to look elsewhere, especially when you can find stuff from much more reputable companies for the same price.
+1 on the reason

·
Registered
70 Posts
Price is great but you have to look at the whole picture. I've had several lower end AGV's that were uncomfortable on long rides and the aerodynamics sucked but they did their job and saved my mellon because they were built with quality. I currently have a Shoe rf 1000. I've had it for three years nad don't think I'll own anything else. It fits me the best, the quality is good, aerodynamics are excellent and it'll save my head if I need it to (hopefully won't have to though). I have no problem paying $360 for a helmet, if I could get the same quality for less then I would.

Good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
I go for something that can be seen....so of the three the yellow. I would skip this brand and go with Shoei. Get the best lid you can afford.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Telefonica_HTown said:
I have seen a shoei after 100+mph on the road go down and no cracks just partially worn away.
First of all, if you would have read what I have already posted, this is going to be a passenger helmet. Not mine. So the only thing that matters here is safety. And if you are stupid enough to go 100+ with someone hanging off the back of the bike, well then you are responsible enough to deal with the repercussions if something happens. It is one thing to go fast on your own, but to put somebody else's life in danger is just freakin retarded. That being said, if you would have read what I said before (again), my friend was wearing an Icon when he totalled his R1. He smacked his head, and then scraped the face and side of the helmet (at 80+ mph) Ya know what happened to him? Nothing, the worst that happened was some road rash on his thigh where his jeans ripped. So again, read what's already been posted first, and be smart with passengers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.