Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. i'm looking for my first bike and found a 93 GSXR 750, the bike looks pretty nice, everything is stock.. but i have some questions that i hope someone in here can help me with.

The bike has 54000 km on the clock.... and the owner (old man) doesnt have much history on the bike... the engine sounded fine, but some people say the the more quiet the gixxer engine is the the more is it in need of an adjustment.. any comments on this part?

other then that it was the clutch.. i kinda hmm.. what u call it it in english? the start wasnt smooth.. just like the clutch was kinda "jumpy" when it started to get grip and you could see the chain wibrating badly when letting it out slowly... worn out clutch? hard to fix? it worked great when i just drove down the street.

other then that there seemed to be a very small oil leak at some some oil line that want in on the engine head on the left side of the engine.

And the fork was leaking some oil..

The price is much lower then i other 93's

Anyone with some info on this and maybe other things i need to be look for?

I would appreciate it alot.

Regards Jan
Norway

Sorry for the double posting here guys.

·
Registered
220 Posts
By reading your e-mail, I would say you pointed out 5 problems. I would walk, or at least call a mechanic and describe the problems you pointed out and see if they can pinpoint what the problem is. They would probably also be able to estimate what it would cost you to fix it. Good luck !

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I've never heard that one, a quiet GSXR engine means something wrong with it... Other than maybe it needs an aftermarket exhaust.
Or it won't start/run.
I would take it as a good thing. No funny noises.

Fork seals are fairly straightforward and inexpensive to do, if you do it yourself, or at least take the forks off and take them in. They charge by the hour, and anything you can do to shorten that time...

Clutch just might be out of adjustment, or the oil needs changing. Wet clutch in it? How dirty is it in the little window? What kind of oil did the previous owner use, and when's the last time it was changed? If it's worn, it's another straightforward job to change it out.

Don't know how to advise you on the oil leak. Is it leaking at the hose in a way to to suggest the hose needs replacing, or tightening the connection of it?

54000 isn't a LOT of kilometres, if it was fairly maintained. You might want to consider having a compression check and adjust the valves on it. Why doesn't he know the history of it? Too many previous owners?

How handy are you with working on your own bike? You'd need stands to get the forks out, or some way to tie it up on the rafters or something.

Welcome to the site, btw.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Welcome to GDC club, Robben covered most of the stuff so i'll just welcome you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then..... i checked everything i could check today.... found out how many previous owners.. the bike was imported from germany to norway in 1997.. then a girl owned it until 2003... then a guy bought it and he had it for 3 months and then it was "owned" by a insurance company for almost a year and then sold to the guy that has it it now.. he only used it 1 time last year cause after buying it he found out that his 45 year old body dint like the driving position of the bike..... hehe So that is why he is selling it.. so the bike hasn't been in use for 2 years.

Since it was owned by an insurance company i was afraid it had been in a crash so i tracked down the owner before that and called him.. he told me that the bike got stolen and was found i a barn 6 months later, but since he had already gotten his money he didnt get the bike back... when he bought the bike it had 40 000 km on the clock and he also totally overhauled the engine right before it got stolen....

The price was 6000$ (yeah.. bike prices su** big time here) but i offered the guy 5000$ and it was ok with him... Similar bikes usually cost between 8 and 10 grand ... even the 91's are at 7/8 grand...

So i hope i'm doing a good deal here now... picking the bike up tomorrow.. can't wait...

I plan on fixing all the problems my self.. i have spent 10 years working on my own cars. all from overhauling engines and gearboxes.. and alot of other stuff.. but a tonn of good luck wishes wont hurt me

Jan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts