Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my bike back from the shop and took apart the body and found bolts, screws and hoses missing....if anyone here has any idea where what goes where...or what Im missing please let me know....also do the air guides from the fairing connect somewhere...or just blow air on top on engine? hope these links work..if not hit my yahoo page and got to photos...its in the motorcycle folder....thanks.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/shayneox/lst

Cant get photos to show...must be doing it wrong...
copy and paste in address bar

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4341070/Motorcycle/holes1.jpg?bcaknt8APOa4SryK

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4341070/Motorcycle/pipes.jpg?bcaknt8AYq5ifAKb

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Shayne ]</p>

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
OK, I'm certain that the "holes" that are on your carb rack are just vents... they came from the factory with tubing attached, but the tubing just vents to the atmosphere, or to a catch-can for racebikes. The bottom of the airbox should be covered with a cap, it's just a drain hole. The next bit I'm not 100% about, but if I remember correctly, the thing on top of the valve-cover is just the fresh-air thingy for the emissions (it allows fresh air into the exhaust under certain throttle/enging conditions to decrease the unburned fuel present in the exhaust... doesn't affect performance at all) ...anyway, that thing goes to the other nipple on the airbox if memory serves.

Let me know if that makes sense, tomorrow I'll take a look at mine and see if I can get some pics for you.

Oh yeah, and a PS - the ducts from the fairing don't attach to anything... they look kinda like ram-air scoops, but they were only meant to bring fresh, cool air to the top of the engine on our old-schoolers...

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: FastCat ]</p>

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent...thanks...Im trying to find pics online or even a book...but no luck yet.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
OK, here are some drawings from the factory manual that seem to apply... these are the only three that seemed to show anything useful:

And I seem to have been wrong about the connection on top of the valve-cover... yes, it connects to the airbox, but apparently it is a vent, not an exhaust fresh-air thingy.

Let us know if you get it together, I don't seem to find that bracket or other hose in your pics anywhere in the manual.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats excellent information....if you know where I can get a manual like that email me...

[email protected]

as the email shows Im on Guam......not alot of room for fast bikes but we manage..

Also very little service out here....less then 5 reliable techs and they are all busy.
I trusted a newbie on my bike and thats why Im in this situation.....egad what if the inside of my engine is the same as the outside...Im screwed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FastCat covered most of it but just to add:

The small pair of holes from the carbs are vents to be routed as Fastcat showed, on the California version they go to an evap canister, on all others just to the frame rails (basically open vented).

The big air ducts just bring in fresh air, the lower one in the pic is just as it is, but the upper is missing a rubber boot which goes from the end of the tube to the square holes in the crossbeam of the frame. This just routes cool air to the intake though, I don't think it's completely critical, though I hear if you remove the one that routes air to the petcock (lower one in the pic) you run the danger of vapor lock on hot days.

There should be a big (1/2" ID or so) tube going from the big nipple on the base of the airbox (coming out the side not the bottom) to the big breather nipple on the head of the engine, you can see part of it from the top view of the carbs coming right through the center. It looks like the previous owner cut that tube in two and part of it is the one labeled "any idea where this goes?". This just recirculated internal engine gasses to be airbox to be burned up and not just spewed into the atmosphere. The lower nipple on the airbox is just a drain, it should be routed down to the bottom of the bike and plugged (then then plug should be removed occasionally to let it drain).

The thing marked "Or this" is just a little trim piece that goes between the upper and the mids (the one shown is for the right side I think). It just helps cover some of the wiring and tubes from view.

Hope this helps, email or post if this isn't clear.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts