Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally get all my shit together. Theres no rain for once. Sunday is bike day at the local drag strip. So I show up and and they are closed for some reason. A bunch of guys were bummed just like me. So I went to the back road that is used as stunt bike testing grounds and street drag runs. On one is up to running against me some reason. So I try a few drag launches. My first time on a this bike that is streched 4 inches. Things seemed great, except lots of wheel spin, 1st. and 2nd. But it hauled ass. So what I'm finally getting at is on the way home, the carbs seemed to be loading up my plugs. Started dropping cylinders. But hard reving seemed to clear it up. About a mile from my house it bogged so bad it just quit. I know it has to be the carb settings. But I have never torn into these carbs before. Is dropping the needles down a good start or what? It seems to be a idle and mid range problem. These are the stock carbs with jet kits and K&N filters. Plan on trying the track again as soon as I figure out this tuning problem!!

Anyone headed to Daytona in two weeks?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The reason your carbs run rich is that dyno jet kits wear out the emolution tubes and the needles. This is a common problem for all gixxer kits. They will usually replace them for free if you send them back. You can lower the needle and it will help temporarily but the only way to fix them for good is to buy flat slides. The slide in the carb will also wear slightly and cause this problem to get worse. Like I said just buy flatslides and sell your stock carbs, you will never screw with them again.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK then, Who's got a set of flat sides for sale? Anyone, anyone? Or am I fighting for some on Ebay. Which I always lose, on Ebay. I will also try pricing some new ones but I'm sure I will need to give up an arm or leg. Thanks for the the tip!

·
Registered
249 Posts
gsxr1216..........You reccomend 38's or 40's for a 90 1100....stock for now, might do BB kit in the future......Dont want to make a mistake and buy to small.....But dont know if 40's are to big for a stocker....

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Give APE a call and tell them you're a gixxer.com member. Tell them I sent you (Tim), the guy they donated the cam degreeing kit for. 38's should be the set-up, unless they know something about drag bikes, oh wait, they do know about drag bikes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks Simon ( UM ) Tim ( UM ) Mr. Gix....

Will do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts