Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So check this out I did a side job and partial payment was a 1997 gsxr750. Was told it needed a head gasket. Replaced that in the process discovered a broken cam bearing on the intake camshaft. So I found another camshaft bought it, in the process of putting in in I realized that on the end of 5he camshaft it didn’t have the piece for the cam positioning sensor. $&#@%&3$#@$-. So I go and check the vin number and low and behold it’s a 1998 fuel injected model. Duh!!! So now I’m looking for an intake camshaft and a gas tank for a 98 750. If anybody has one or can get their hands on one I would be tickled..well thanks for putting up with my story.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
eh, how serious is this project? Do you really need that sensor?
Your hunting for 12710-33E40 seems new it costs 150~300$ online..

How bad is the original cam with a bad bearing? Damaged beyond just replacing the bearing? Willing to bet you could find a shop willing to pull the bearing and replace it with the bearing from the cam you bought for next to nothing. Just be sure to mark the position on the cam and sprocket before pulling it off...

Hell if its serious enough, get a set of adjustable sprockets while your at it.. You'd have to pull the sprocket for adjustable sprockets anyway,...

I guess can always try ebay again and hope for the best....

The FI pump will be the hard thing to source, did the bike not come with a tank and pump? There's a handful of decent enough tanks on ebay for around 100$ atm, but zero FI model pump/plates.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Ron has the entire pump assembly new for $674.00 usd... then all you would need is the filter, and a few hoses and clamps, bout $125.00 worth and its up to snuff brand new!

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
akso they have pumps on the bay, just no housings, someone has the kit, filter, gasket and pump.. good price too

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have the pump I just need a decent tank that don’t cost a fortune. I’m gonna look into getting the bearing replace great idea. Thanks for that. I’ll let you know how it turns out

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
From cheapest to most expensive....

There’s several usable fair priced tanks currently on eBay Anywhere from 50-300$ depending how much work you want to put into it.

Airtech sells a fiberglass tank that’s slightly more expensive. 670$

FuelCel sells a Kevlar tank, that is considerably more expensive. But is molded to fit the aftermarket race airbox. ~1300$

And most expensive of all is the aluminum tanks ... anywhere from 500$ for a beat up stripped down tank to 2500$ for one in decent condition with dual drybreaks.

prolly a few other manufacturers out there, but those are the ones I know of.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here’s an update on my cam shaft issue. When I install the intake cam and mark off 15 pins between the 2 gears the chain has a droop in it. and When I turn the cam slightly to tighten the chain one set of lobes want to push on the valves to try and open them while I’m tightening down the holder. The exhaust cam lays in there comfortably but 5he intake does. If I leave that droop in there and after I put in the tensioner. The chain jumps a tooth to tighten up that slack. WTF. And I know those holder are made of some pretty flimsie aluminum to be trying to push down the valves while I’m tightening them up. Any imput would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
You leave the droop, and put a screw driver or something like a stick of plastic or wood or a MCCT backed out and slightly backed in to slightly push against the guide threw the hole where the tensioner would be installed to prevent the chain from moving off the lower sprocket and jumping... while having positive engagement on the rotation of the first sprocket and lower crank.....

Um basically fallow the Service manual Page 3A-15 and i guess take notice to the (NOTE:)'s

And yeah, while reinstalling the journals, there is some force against the valve springs, thats why people tend to use zip ties on the sprocket and chain

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You leave the droop, and put a screw driver or something like a stick of plastic or wood or a MCCT backed out and slightly backed in to slightly push against the guide threw the hole where the tensioner would be installed to prevent the chain from moving off the lower sprocket and jumping... while having positive engagement on the rotation of the first sprocket and lower crank.....

Um basically fallow the Service manual Page 3A-15 and i guess take notice to the (NOTE:)'s

And yeah, while reinstalling the journals, there is some force against the valve springs, thats why people tend to use zip ties on the sprocket and chain
Ok I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Thank you

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freakin awesum the intake camshaft when with very little effort. I think the problem I had with the last one is that it was off the bearing journal by 16th and in turn snapped the bearing. But she’s all good to go now. I just need a freakin tank. Any for anyone who hasn’t read my past inquiries I need a 98 FI tank with 3 vent tubes coming out the back don’t care what shape it is in, we’ll except the stunting smash. Thanks everyone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts