Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laid down my bike a while ago, just barely, and slightly scratched the left engine cover. Well, a friend came across a spare cover and gave it to me. Now I am going to replace the cover so my baby looks spankin' new again.

My question is how hard will this be? I don't have a service manual, but it looks like all I need to do is remove the bolts around the cover and replace it. Should I do this with the oil drained? I assume that the oil will come out when I remove the current cover. Are there any other gaskets or anything I will need? Any other complications that I can expect? Thanks!

·
The Shocker
5,211 Posts
its EZ.

Take the old one off/ along with the gasket (if needed)

put new gasket, and cover back on.

My advice is to get a trick set of after market covers.

Graves, NRC, Factory whatever.

If you already replaced it with your buddies spare part, then you already know how its done

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: coyn586 ]

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Drain the oil 1st. Unless you like swimming in oil.

You will need to replace the gasket. From what I hear, you will need to apply 5ft lb of torque to secure the bolts properly when you resecure them. Screw the bolts in a criss-cross pattern. If you've changed a tire before it's the same procedure.

This is what someone told me:

"The screws get tighter with time. If you try to wind them in as tightly as they took to snap free you will risk stripping the holes. Snap a couple loose a turn or so and then tighten back up until the allen wrench is in the same position it started and that will show you how much pressure to use. Try to get a good feel for this and it'll be almost as good as the special low value torque wrench that is hard to find and very expensive because they are so rare."

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
203 Posts
i did this to mine it was really easy just take off like 6 screws and thats it. o yea dont forget to drain the oil or it will be everywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts