Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes (and Dudettes),
I'm going to install a secondary starting system on my GSXR1000. I just don't feel that the electric start is reliable enough. Should I go with a kickstart or a rope pull start? Have any of you made this modification yet?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i think migs maybe able to develope a 2 hp pull starter, so now all you have to do is remove the tank, put fuel in alot of ziplock bags to replace the tank and mount a lawnmower engine there for cranking power!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but how do I start the lawnmower engine? That's a good idea, but if the lawnmower engine is equipped with a pull rope, then I have to have an auxilliary electric start installed for it. I'm thinking that I need to install BOTH a kick starter and something alont the lines of what you mentioned. Or, a rope starter and a kick starter. I think also maybe if someone could come up with something like a big suction cup that I could throw at passing cars and is attached to the rope start....

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Fit a centre stand, put the bike in gear with the ignition on, wrap your string around the rear sprocket, and pull hard (once the bike fires up, it might be a good idae to let go of the string)

·
Registered
919 Posts
fit a trailler and in it carry a paddock stand and a remote starter (ie ducati WSB starter) that drives the back wheel to 80 mph and then drop the clutch and itl start

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Well, I'm currently working on putting a compreessed-air starter on my gixxer in addition to the pull-cord, kickstarter, and original electric starter. This will complement nicely my UPS back-up system for the ignition computer and deisel generator back-up electrical system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good! Keep me posted on the R&D progress....

·
Registered
70 Posts
NO NO guys, you are going about it all wrong...
You need to do like I did and install the kick starter in front of the left peg. Not only will this give you plenty of clearence in case you need to change your glow plugs, but you can also use it as a quick action reverse if your stock one goes out. I know when my reverse went out on my '97 750, I used my kickstarter to fix it. It was a snap, all you do is attatch it to your hydroxy oil pump shaft (Just under your cupholder)
and simply crank the shaft the opposite direction of normal rotation. I hope this was of some help for the new guys, if you have anymore questions about mods to your bike, just PM me and I will be more than happy to assist.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Well, so far it's a prototype-only... I'm having trouble finding tires that are VR-rated and also have a high enough load capacity... the prototype only weighs in at 3,200 lbs though... definitely one of the lightest emergency deisel generators ever mounted on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
889 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> It was a snap, all you do is attatch it to your hydroxy oil pump shaft (Just under your cupholder)
<hr></blockquote>

now i know that cupholder wasnt a factory option, or else i got screwed.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
HOw bout an electric drill with the appropriate sized socket install on the side case, directly turning the crank shaft. Or you could put the kick start crank on the crank shaft and hope it falls off when the bike does fire up. i don't think it would be too good to have a kick starter spinning at 1500 rpm's let alone red line

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
Originally posted by Litespeed:
HOw bout an electric drill with the appropriate sized socket install on the side case, directly turning the crank shaft. Or you could put the kick start crank on the crank shaft and hope it falls off when the bike does fire up. i don't think it would be too good to have a kick starter spinning at 1500 rpm's let alone red line
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">NO no no.. 3 words.. ONE WAY BEARING.. problem solved case closed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts