Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not the type of guy to exercise. The most I've done to prep for the track is to start stretching a week before hand. That used to be enough but the last few track days I've done my muscles, especially my upper legs, have been extremely sore the following few days. I am starting off the season this year by doing two days in a row and I am afraid of how sore I am going to be by the second day.

So basically I want to know if anyone can recommend some ways to get my upper legs, stomach and lower back somewhat prepared to reduce as much pain as I can for he second day of riding.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you tried cycling? I ride the road bike as much as possible in the evenings. I like to get a good sweat going.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
I would say start doing some various cardio exercises (stair climber, elliptical) to increase your endurance and and do lots of stretching to increase mobility and flexibility. Be sure to stretch well before getting on the bike too. Most pro racers are skinny little dudes, so obviously they don't need much muscle mass to go fast, and you'll always see them stretching thoroughly before getting on the bike.

·
Banned
1,078 Posts
Jerk off..play with the old ladies Titties Alittle bit.Also take a percocet before and after the race.You'll wake up the next morning wanting to do it over again.:lol

Sorry every Forum seems to have one smartass Replie..Let this be the one lol

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Have you tried cycling? I ride the road bike as much as possible in the evenings. I like to get a good sweat going.
Just like he says, I feel a bicycle is the best way to go. I personaly do Mountain Biking. It has helped my track day endurance ten fold. I ride my bike as much as possible 2-3 days a week up on the trails, anywhere from 5-15miles with some nice long uphills and technical downhills. The downhills definately help with the upper body as uphill obviously get the legs burning. From all the biking I've done I really really need to purchase new leathers.

Also, if you are not a gym rat and decide to get into cycling, you should at least do one day a week of circuit training at the gym. Do some chest workouts with dumbells, squats and lunges, deadlifts, bi/tris with dumbells, and don't forget your back. A good 45-60minute workout mixed in with cycling will get you better off than expected. Don't worry about concentrating on abs either, a good circuit training workout will do your core good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
core, core, core...the body parts you mentioned are all a part of your core..you can search "core exercises" and there will be some good ones to do.

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
There is no way around it and no quick fix. The biggest problem you will face (and probably have already - I've been there too) is when you get fatigued you start making mistakes, body position suffers and riding just gets crappy in general.

Road work will be unavoidable biking or running will work
Benchpress or diamond pushups
Situps or crunches
Lunges

Prolly gonna wanna do 5 sets of each to exhaustion.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
+1 on the cycling and the bananas. Swimming is also a top conditioner. I usually eat 2 bananas before every track day and 2 at the end with almonds. Makes a huge difference in your recovery. Hydrate days before you leave.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
mostly cardio work, running, cycling, stair climber, etc..

after that you need serious leg, abdominal and lower back strength. since you use your lower body to hold you in the correct position on the bike you dont need much upper body strength to get the job done.. and muscular endurance is the key, so light weight, high reps.

if you own no equipment, and dont belong to a gym this is what i would do.

run 3 days a week
on those same days i would do
body weight squats 4 sets of as many reps as you can do
lunges 4 sets as many reps as you can do
and a lot of stretching

2 days a week opposite of your running days i would do
4 sets pushups as many reps as you can do
4 sets of pullups wide grip/palms facing away from you
4 sets crunches
4 sets of leg lifts

that is just to get some basic level of fitness going that will help tremendously with your riding.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
If you want to keep it simple do deadlifts and squats. Soreness is coming from your lack of strength conditioning. I haven't done cardio in 9 years and I've never been sore after a track day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
12 Participants
gixx1000
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing