Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my bike is plagued with a screwy GPS that always toggles between numbers on the indicator... sometimes in 6th it would read blank for a split second

anyways... it got annoying during the 4-5th gear readouts as the bike would switch timing maps

I looked at a few different threads and wanted to clean it out first before doing anything else... and saw one thread on what the GPS should look like on another bike

this is the picture I got from this thread
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208688&highlight=passive+tre

I took off my sensor (btw those allen bolts were a bi*ch) and this is what mine looks like

and Im not sure exactly what im supposed to clean, how to clean, where to apply the recommended die-electic grease.

and when I took off the sprocket cover, I saw how dirty the whole area was with grease (chain grease) any recommendations on how to clean it?... or just leave it alone as it will get dirty again real soon?...
here is a pic of the area

thanks guys

·
Banned
154 Posts
Anyone?...

I know a few of you guys have cleaned it before.... how do I do it?
I am interested as well, as I have noticed that sometimes when I am cruising along in first, the gear indicator bounces back and forth between 1 and 2 on the display. Only happens when I am in first, it reports the gears perfectly in neutral-6.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Id clean the GPS sensor and the area around the front sprocket with brake cleaner. Just make sure you relube your chain cause brake cleaner will take the lubricant right off the chain.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id clean the GPS sensor and the area around the front sprocket with brake cleaner. Just make sure you relube your chain cause brake cleaner will take the lubricant right off the chain.

When you say spray the gps sensor....do you mean the the peice that I unscrewed and took a pic of?..or the area it plugs into?.....just spray and leave it?..or wipe it off with something?

Why spray the sprocket?..wouldn't that kill the oring?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Clean the piece you unscrewed and took a pic of. Spray it and wipe it off. Brake cleaner removes grease and gunk very well. Dont spray the sprocket just the area around it to get the junk out of there. Brake cleaner shouldnt kill the o ring.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clean the piece you unscrewed and took a pic of. Spray it and wipe it off. Brake cleaner removes grease and gunk very well. Dont spray the sprocket just the area around it to get the junk out of there. Brake cleaner shouldnt kill the o ring.

alright sweet... ill give it a shot...

and should I use that die electric grease thing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been plagued with a faulty gps as well. I did exactly what they said and cleaned everything with electrical contact cleaner. I then applied a healthy amount of di-electric grease to the center contact. After, it usually works flawlessly for about six months.

I'd definitely recommend trying it before you purchase a new gear position sensor; however, it won't fix it. If you opted for the extra warranty make sure you get a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
They're super sensitive so they don't last very long. Mine will still display the wrong gear from time to time. My main issue was when it would flicker from 4th to 5th it would change the ignition maps and cause the bike to surge. Installed a JSD Pro and have not had a problem since.:cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Finally I cleaned my gear position sensor today.Def worth the little time I spent on it.Works like new :punk

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine would automatically show the next gear when revved high, i cleaned it and put the dielectric grease on it. worked fine for like 2 days. cleaned it again and its been working fine every since(about 3-4 months of riding).if its starts messing up again, i'm gonna just replace it.

·
PermaSquib
91 Posts
id clean the gps sensor and the area around the front sprocket with brake cleaner. Just make sure you relube your chain cause brake cleaner will take the lubricant right off the chain.
do not clean anything around the chain with brake cleaner!!! The chain will be ruined in seconds. Esp if you are running an o-ring chain. The o rings will fail and your chain will buckle up instantly!!! You can get chain cleaner from your local dealer or simple green makes a foaming degreaser.... Both are o-ring safe. Then lube the chain with an approprite lubricant like pg1 (its like honey and doesn't get everywhere)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts