Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I ordered a new chain/sprocket kit. I got the Vortex gold chain combo. My stock, rear sprocket is 43 teeth, and the guy at Vortex recommended a 46. Will I notice a fairly decent improvement in acceleration times?? He claims I wont lose a lot at highway speeds... As long as I dont do 120 everywhere I go..

Jeff

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, 3 up out back will give you a noticeable increase in acceleration. the bike'll pick up and rev quicker all over.

on the highway, expect the revs to be a little higher than they normally would be at the same speed with the 43 rear.

that notwithstanding, i'm pretty sure you'll like it.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks! One thing I dont understand, is a lot of sport bikes come with 46-47 tooth rear sprockets..Is it because of the difference in transmission gearing?? 43 seems low...

Jeff

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Damn, now I have to go get a new rear sprocket too.

------------------
You can take the red pill. You stay in wonderland, and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my chain/sprocket kit just got here, and I have to say...WOW! The sprocket is so light!! Im impressed. Now, if I actually FEEL the difference like Im hoping I will, I'll be happy! I'll know Saturday!

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, I'll send you an email Saturday, when it's done. I'm hoping it'll help!! Have you been happy with the performance of your bike? What have you done to it??

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I bought it pretty much done up. Vance and Hines full exhaust, V&H open air filters, jet kit, ported and polished heads, Pingle gas vaulve. And I have been very happy with it so far. 130ish on the speedo. not pushing it that hard. When I first got it the low end was quite impressive, but after riding it for a year, I've realized that I very rarely get to open it up, and I could stand to use a little more low end response.

But I've still got my eye on that black and silver GSXR1000

mmmmmmmmmm......GSXR1000......droooollllllll

------------------
You can take the red pill. You stay in wonderland, and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
jbaker,

Let me know the how impressed you with the perfomance. I was thinking about changing my rear, but the bike is so heavy I wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

I also thought about taking off the rear and replacing the bike with a 1000.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jbaker:
Great, thanks! One thing I dont understand, is a lot of sport bikes come with 46-47 tooth rear sprockets..Is it because of the difference in transmission gearing?? 43 seems low...

Jeff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While 'older' bikes ran with 15/16 tooth front sprockets, you'll find that many newer bikes have 17t, so they have to jump 3 in the rear right off the bat. Makes for better chain life and less stress, which is good, considering that a lot of 520 chain is starting to replace 530 from the factories.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, JUST got back with the bike. The chain/sprocket kit was a GREAT addition. Pretty pricey, by the time they were done (I had brakes done, and there was a problem with one of my chain adjusters). But, talk about a change in feeling. Wow!
My next thing is the timing advancer. He advised, also, (like you did Jeff) that I go up 3-4 degrees, and that it's less then an hour labor? If that's true, can you tell me the best brand/manufacturer to buy from?? Thanks.

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Jeff, you were 100% right on here.... The sprocket(s) change was the best thing I've done! I took a long ride with a couple buddies today.....The bike launches right into the higher RPM range, gets up there quick, and is overall a LOT quicker. I'm very pleased. Thanks for all your help. now, Im looking into that ignition advancer!

Jeff

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pod99966:
I bought it pretty much done up. Vance and Hines full exhaust, V&H open air filters, jet kit, ported and polished heads, Pingle gas vaulve. And I have been very happy with it so far. 130ish on the speedo. not pushing it that hard. When I first got it the low end was quite impressive, but after riding it for a year, I've realized that I very rarely get to open it up, and I could stand to use a little more low end response.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pod, you wouldn't believe the diff between stock and +3 on the rear. Its the most major freebie (relatively speaking) that you can do for your bike. As well, it doesn't, by itself, add any stress to your motor. Hell, if I had a GSXR1000, the first thing I'd do on that is go +3 on the rear
. My bud that owns one says they are geared a touch tall, will pull the 180mph shit etc., so would be much more 'fun' geared for 170mph. Just my insane opinion.

Go for the +3, you'll think that you've increased the displacement a BUNCH!!!

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
jbaker,

before you purchase an ignition advancer, you might want to check to see that you don't have one on the bike already.

pop off the ignition rotor cover (you'll need to replace the gasket if it rips during removal - you might want to buy 1 or 2 and keep them handy) and take a look at the rotor - aftermarket ones will usually be stamped with the number of degrees of advance. they'll have a +3 or +4 or +5 or whatever stamped on the rotor face.

------------------

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi guys,

All this talk of upping the teeth on the rear has got me thinking of doing it to my '90 1100 L.

What sort of depreciation in top speed are we talking about? ...and what are the benefits?

Thanks,

------------------

'90 GSXR 1100L
"The voices made me do it!"

EarL
:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
On my 91 1100 I found a 50 tooth sprocket to work the best( stock 48 tooth).
This was with a stock motor and 3 diffrent built motors. With nos I had to drop to a 47.
And there's now way in hell I would try a 3 up sprocket on my 1000! maybe 1 up in the rear. Im probably going to go 1 down in the rear . my .02$

------------------

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
ok you have me convinced. I'm going out today to pick up some flushmount rear blinkers (my stock ones have gone to crap) so I'm going to put the 46 tooth on order.

I'll keep you posted .

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pod99966 (edited 04-20-2001).]

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well it's almost 8 months later, and I finally got the +3 rear sprocket. had a baby on the way so my wifey wanted me to wait. So now it's almost X-mas, and I said to hell with this, it's a X-mas present.
Putting them on tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts