Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically Ive quit my hurtin-ass job and Ive been sitting in a fucken desk for 4 years. Ive gone from when i was 22, 6' 0 - 235lbs and now im 26 at 300lbs. I was very active in highschool and I was going on long hikes and riding my bike regularly before this job.

Now im done, I want to get in shape. What exercises would I start with and what diet plans? My friend started working out hard after years on his ass and he ended up getting serious knee probs. I would like to start running again....help fitness ppl!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alright, with your weight, I would start out in a pool. It sounds weird, but find a local pool with a decent amount of water that comes to about chest level, and run in it, it takes a lot of energy, burns a shitload of calories and won't destroy your knees. As a pluss, it also helps flexability. Stretch before and after each session. One you start that, and get comfortable with it, start swiming laps, don't worry about a real defined workout, what is good for starters is to pick a time, say a half hour, and then start slow, fall into pace, and swimm for a half hour straight, only stopping for water, and then cooldown.

At the time you start swimming, you can also alternate days with running and lower body gym workouts, as most people neglect the lower body whle swimming. If you can't tell, I'm a lifeguard and aqua aerobics instructor, and thoroughl believe in water therapy, I have a diabetic guy I work with who dropped from 420 to 210 in about a year and a half doing this, with no diet changes.

As for diet, how much soda do you drink? The average american can lose 15-20 pounds in two months by simply cutting soda. Try picking up green tea or a Propel. Gatorade is great when working out, but is really too sugary and when inactive is no better than soda. If you need a caffiene fix, coffee, black or with something like splenda or unprocessed sugar, is actually great for you.

Also try to cut any alcohol consumption for a couple of months, beer especially is just empty calories, one every once in a while is okay, but not a lot.

The there's the infamous fast food, honestly, i'm twenty, I cook almost all my own meals and go grocery shopping fr myself, and not only is it more healthy, you get the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment from cooking for yourself, a least I do. If I have a busy week, I'll make a weeks worth of kunch on sunday. If you must go out, avoid high carb and fried food, and try to order unsweetened tea, or water. If you have to have soda, limit the amount you have each time, say "I'm only going to have x amount of refills", it keeps you from just downing your drinks.

Don't bother with any of these atkins or south beach diets, you'll lose weight, drop the diet and gaoin again, it's really just better to establish better eating and workout habits. Holy crap that's a lot, anything else, just ask.

·
Blowjobs........ for the ULTRA low-low price of $3
1,995 Posts
Well start eating better!!! Do drink any soda- this right here you will be amazed with how much weight you will lose. Go the gym and start working out- start out slow and work your way up.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Interval train. I just started up again too about two weeks ago. I don't know if I've lost any weight or not but I did a lot of research (web and here) and interval training is one of the best things to do. I'm no gym rat so I'm sure people will disagree but for me, wanting to lost some body fat, that seemed the best route for me now.

Diet, I'm not giving you any advice on that. Everyone says eat 6 times a day, yada, yada, yada; I can't eat 6 times a day. I eat when I am hungry and that's that. My big thing now is eat heatlier snacks and food and yes, cut out pop. If I do have one, it's diet and I try to drink water more than anything now. It sucks but I'm trying to stick with it. There are days now, I'll eat maybe twice with some nuts or string cheese as a snack in between.

I've been doing some more reading and I found a couple articles that say that diets and all that are crap. Basically burn more calories than you consume. I know people will say otherwise but honeslty, do what works for you. I don't know if it's working for me yet, only been 2 weeks, but if I weigh myself and I haven't lost any weight I'm gonna stop. I'm gonna wait until at least the beginning of April to check my weight.

The other thing, stick with it. I am one of those people that want to see results as soon as I step off the tredmill so for me, everyday is a fight with myself to get on that damn thing. Some people will tell you at least a half hour, some will tell you an hour, I only workout for about 25-30 mins and when I am done, I'm sweating and feel good. I try not to cheat myself and just push it hoping that eventually I will just wake up and WANT to run.

I know people that have been working out for a while will say, if they miss a workout, they feel like shit. I'm not there yet but soon hope to be. Good luck, it's not easy.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
hey I use to be a certified personal trainer (ISSA) give me a PM message and I'll write you back on ideas such as workouts, crabs to protein intake ect. One thing u need to invest in are vitamins and supplements. Also pending on your body type either your a endomorph (round, pear shape), ectomorph (skinny, lean) or Mesomorph (natural V-shape) -most bodybuilders are Mesomorph... will determine how easy or hard it is to lose your weight. Sometimes genetics get the best of u no matter how hard you work out and diet. But like I said give me a PM and i'll give u an idea of workouts to help burn off excess weight

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
hey i have a degree in exercise physiology and have been training people for years my advice is start off with some easy wieght training light weights and high reps 20 for 3 sets with a warmup set. try to move from machine to machine as quickly as possible to keep your heart rate up so you get cradiovascular benefits from strength training. do every exercise slowly on a 3 count down and up do this for 20-30 minutes three days aweek for six weeks then you will need to change your workout to continue ue getting results. as far as dirt goes keep it simple right away eat clean drink half of your body wieght in ounces of water every day. i am working on a website that people can use for a reference www.thegymonline.net let me know and ill give you a free trial whatever you do find soemthing you like to do and stick to it. it took 4 years to gain the weight its not gonna come off in a month no matter what infomercial you watch

·
Registered
81 Posts
i'd say stick with the schief he seems to know a bit and like he sadi it wont come off as for the simple matter that muscle weighs more than fat. and it is unhealthy to loose more then 2-3 pounds a week and 3 is the uber max recommended and the important thing is to do something you like and change it up or your body will get accustomed to it and you will plateau yes pool is great for the mere fact that there is no impact on your joints, which is what caused your buddy his knees problems my buddy used to run everyday and when in basic training for the marines he got medically discgarded cuz he knees blew out , there was no cartilage left in his knees due to the constant impact he had been exerting on them

This is why besides the gym i prefer cycling over running any day granted i mile running = 3 miles cycling i just prefer the bike much much less impact and you actually feel like your going somewhere.

best of luck!

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
sweat and eat non processed foods...give it a few months and you'll see results. It's very basic when starting out to be honest. Sweat a few times per day by doing as much activity as you're comfortable with. walk a 1 mile, walk 2 miles, jog .5 miles. Just get the heart up and sweat and eat non processed foods. I bet you'll see some nice results in a few months. As long as you see results then stick with it. when you stop seeing results or if you don't in say 1 month of that then you need to change things up.

Too often people get way too complicated when starting out working out. The first 2 months just get your body use to working out and activity and eating healthy. The first few months most people can do anything and see results. the better shape your'e in the harder it gets to see results.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
sweat and eat non processed foods...give it a few months and you'll see results. It's very basic when starting out to be honest. Sweat a few times per day by doing as much activity as you're comfortable with. walk a 1 mile, walk 2 miles, jog .5 miles. Just get the heart up and sweat and eat non processed foods. I bet you'll see some nice results in a few months. As long as you see results then stick with it. when you stop seeing results or if you don't in say 1 month of that then you need to change things up.

Too often people get way too complicated when starting out working out. The first 2 months just get your body use to working out and activity and eating healthy. The first few months most people can do anything and see results. the better shape your'e in the harder it gets to see results.
Absolutely agree - especially on eating whole, not processed foods. That alone will give you great rewards.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I decided about a month and a half ago to get healthy again, i was running 6 miles three times a week M-W-F and playing hockey on Tues and Thurs. but after about three weeks my legs and hips were getting tore up, so i quit the running for now (waiting till i get back to work so i can buy a bike).

now i do 10 diamond, 10 wide arm, and 10 regular pushups, rest and repeat. then i do 50 crunches, and 50 bicycle crunches as a set and repeat 3 times and then do seated leg lifts 15 reps 3 times, then i repeat this workout again at the end of the day a couple of hours before i go to bed. then i play hockey twice a week for about an hour and a half each time. I highly recommend getting into hockey i crave playing, I would play seven days a week if i could get the ice time. its a hell of a workout, and is so much fun its hard to believe that its actually good for you. (as long as you don't get your teeth knocked out)

as for my diet i totally quit eating or drinking any junk six days a week, I drink either water or tea except for a powerade during hockey which i drink with water, I have found tea both hot and iced to be a great way to get some flavor without adding any calories (no sugar or milk). for breakfast i usually eat plain oatmeal with no sugar or anything added, it tastes horribly plain, but it is filling. then for lunch I eat a couple of sandwiches, half serving of turkey on each, and with lettuce and tomato, and about a half serving of miracle whip on each, on light wheat bread (45 calories a slice) then for dinner i usually eat either 2 scrambled eggs with onions and green peppers, or three fried eggs with two slices of bacon. I also eat apples and oranges, throughout the day.

I have been pretty strict on what i eat for the past month and a half, and have lost 20lbs. and feel great. last Sunday i splurged and ate a whopper meal from burger king, and i felt horrible physically afterwords, guess i lost my tolerance to the poison they serve. it about felt like a hangover.

but anyway this is what i have been doing, and have been getting great results.
and i wish you the best of luck.

·
GDC's Martha Stewart
7,545 Posts
Since you've been out of the whole exercising thing for so long and at your current weight running might not be a good option. You definitely need to start off with dieting and light exercises like walking on a treadmill and get on the cycling machine and some weight lifting.

I've never tried dieting up until recently, because I never had to. I've always been skinny and if anything I had to gain weight. But then I started seeing my bodyfat percentage skyrocketing and started on a very strict dieting plan to cut sugars, cut fat, cut fast food, and exercised on a regular basis.

I can tell you that without the proper dieting, no amount of exercising will make you lose that weight. And I can tell you that it's going to be hard, and it will take a lot of discipline. The key is to turn it into a lifestyle instead of turning it into a "temporary diet". I'm not a fitness or a health expert, but I've done my fair share of reading and research.

The hardest thing that most people have to cope with in doing a proper weight loss plan is that it takes a long time. They say that losing 1 lb a week is good, but most people want instant results; they want to lose 5lbs-10lbs a week. If you're doing it right, you don't have to starve yourself, as others said you should be eating 5-6 meals a day, but they have to be healthy and nutritious meals/snacks. Combine it with weight lifting and cardio and you will gradually see results.

Don't cheat though, those all start with "one snickers bar won't hurt me". And read up more on eating healthy foods and read up on correct ways to exercise. I've seen plenty of people who are completely and utterly ignorant about how unhealthy some of the food is that they eat. And I've seen people at the gym who are doing their exercises incorrectly and/or not even breaking a sweat.

Well I can go on and on but I think the best thing for you to do is to ask yourself if you really have the motivation to do it. And if you do, read up everything you can and get into it. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
12 Participants
Will Goes Boing
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing