Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm proud to say I've just recently joined the Gixxer's club by buying my first bike/project, it being a 1986 GSXR750, just two weeks ago. Now on the mechanics side, well... the learning curve is still there, but you guys are helping out tons.
The engine I'm guessing has some considerable mileage on it, how much I don't know, since I'm the 3rd owner and it's been completely rebuilt with a '91 engine and a '89 fairing setup sitting on an '86 frame. (I'm really looking forward to finding replacement parts in that puzzle.)Anyways...
The knocking sound seems to be coming from the left side of the engine near the top end, just below where the carbs attach. I used a long screw driver as a stethoscope to try to pinpoint the sound. It's very noticeable at idle but when reved up it gets drowned out. Is there a way to test what this sound might be, someone today mentioned I should try placing the bike into gear, apply the brakes and gradually rev the engine. He said if the knocking is from the main bearing or rods it'll show up by means of a louder knocking sound. Do I have that right? Is there anything else I can try? I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow. It also leaks a bit of oil into the exhaust for the first couple of minutes. I adjusted the valves yesterday too. Some gaps were way too tight and others a bit loose.

Ric

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Oh man, who wants to go first...okay, I will. I just love playing "what's that noise?" on the computer

To ease your mind about the motor...My motor is an '86, with a '92 head, '91 block bored/resleeved to 907cc & 38mm carbs. So much of the motor interchanges with other gixxers, Katanas & Bandits you will have no problem finding used replacement parts. And there is a healthy number of aftermarket companies too.

As for "knocking", boy, my motor has so much background mechanical noise it would have to be a "bad" noise to get noticed...and yours could be bad. Or it could just me normal. I'm afraid I can't help you much there.

oh, and you're yet another canadian.
welcome

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sounds like a normal thing to me.

My 1100 is pretty quiet but all the smaller bikes I have been around or owned made alot of valve train noise.

quiet

·
Banned
982 Posts
Do You Have Cams?
My Bike Clanks all over,but It's A Good Clanking Noise!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Yup, compared to a CBR or an R6/1 the gixxer is a clattery machine. I rented an R6 & a CBR6 last March in Hawaii and with the Honda I swear I almost hit the starter again it was so quiet.

If you're inclined to spend the winter getting the motor in order (it snows there right?) it would be worth your time. Rings and a cylinder honing would be worth the money. It would also give you the opportunity to see if the previous owners increased the cc's.

Motor interchanging...It's a relatively simple rule. If it's oil cooled it will fit. There are certain issues like valve cover clearance or CDI, but for the most part even a new Bandit 1200 will fit in an '85 750 frame. Take some time to look at old threads from the last couple of years but at some point everyone has asked "can I put an 1100/1200 in my gixxer".

What was the last part? Oh yeah, "is it worth the money to...?" That's up to you. When I first bought my rough looking limited edition I had the intention of restoration but not altering the original condition. Once I did that I decided that it is my gixxer and I only have to answer to my wife about what how much or what I do to it. Some people shake their head and mutter "why didn't he just buy a new bike" and then I get people like the Honda mechanic for Kurtis Roberts. He was supposed to be packing up after the Road America AMA races but he spent 20 minutes scrutinizing my gixxer. He had such a hard-on for the motor he was thrilled to see updated suspension & wheels to put the power to the road. Too bad I binned it. If you're happy re-doing the glasswork..do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Rings and a cylinder honing would be worth the money."

So it could be worth redoing? What am I looking at in parts, cost and cylinder honing?(that's me doing the general restoration). A rough cost would be about... what??

Thanks,
Ric

Here's a photo of an '89 GSXR750 I admire and plan to customize my fairing with a similar smooth and soft look, rounding out edges etc... one color too. A beaut of a bike. I'm even going to customize the brake and signal lights replacing them with a cluster of superbright LED lights. I'll post a few pics when I'm done next year.

[ 10-23-2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: RicsGix ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've been gathering so far from you fellas here and around is that the Gixxers are noisy buggers to start with. After the engine has nicely warmed up that particular knock drops to about 50% of what it sounds like when cold, so I guess I should live with it. The engine sounds like techno music- chikaboom chicaboom! Especially compared to my buddy's new super quiet CBR600. I thought his bike was turned off sitting beside mine. His first bike too.

Besides the noise, the compression test I did this morning turns out to be on the low side,
sigh! averaging 110. Is that really bad, isn't 130 and up the range for this bike?

I noticed that I had a fuel smell around the bike too, so I opened up the fuel cock and found that the spring was missing, ha!, fuel was just flowing right on by since the o-ring had no way of closing the passage. I ordered a new fuel cock kit for about 20 bucks at my local bike shop. The putz who previously opened this nifty control probably lost the spring and didn't even realise it. (ha!)

Do you think it's still worth customizing the fairing and a paint job (I'll be doing this myself btw using fiberglass). It's the mechanical cost side I'm not familiar with yet. I paid 2k CDN (about 1200 USD).

Are '91 engines easily available in the market and what would be the most recent engine year that I can put in an '86 frame?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts