Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the Course Marshall for WMRRA (Washington Motorcycle Roadracers Association) and we raced this weekend. The Formula Ultra race got ugly. The race started and we could hear the wreck down in t3. We got the call over the radio and the corner workers were running to check on the downed riders condition. After less than 30 seconds they called for the ambulance. Race control callled for red flags in all the corners. The lead bikes were by this time past the flag station of the last corner before the straight. The straight is not really straight. It goes straight parallel to the drag strip, then makes a gentle left/right back onto the dragstrip at the end of the quarter mile. The start finish line is just past where the right turn goes back onto the dragstrip. 1st, 2nd, and 3d saw the red flag and all rolled off the throttle. 4th place didn't see the flag and plowed the back of 3d place. They both went down at about 165. The 4th place bike ('05 R1) was still in one piece. The 3d place bike's frame ('05 1k) tore in half just behind the steering head. 4th place has a slight concussion, a puncture in his shoulder and road rash on his right calf. 3d place we haven't heard conclusively, but a friend of mine who crashed later in the race and went to the same hospital said that he had broken ribs and a collapsed lung. The gear we have is incredible. I can't believe that they weren't a lot more injured. Troy341

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good lesson to be learned here. When you see a red flag... wave that left arm like a maniac, before you roll off the throttle. That way the person behind you sees that you're going to slow down. I hope everyone is going to be ok.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Good lesson to be learned here. When you see a red flag... wave that left arm like a maniac, before you roll off the throttle. That way the person behind you sees that you're going to slow down. I hope everyone is going to be ok.
+1

Chopping the throttle instantly is the wrong way to go.

I our weekend I had a friend break8 rips and punture a lung ona "gentle" low-side. painfull enjury, but definately something you can recover from.

Sounds like you all should add a second flagger on the straight before the kink.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The way I heard it (WMRRA incident) was that the crash truck was on the track before the guys in 3rd and 4th (two of the top racers in the PNW) saw the red flag. They were coming up so fast on the truck that the guy in 3rd had to roll off immediately... BOOM!

Troy?

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harp, you've been talking to Eric Dorn. Yes, the truck was across the track after the last place bike went by and BEFORE the lead bike was out of the death chute. It was Race Director Joel Crabtree's truck. There is about a quarter mile from the end of the chute to t1. We asked Eli Edwards the leader..."What truck?" was his response, same for Dan Lippis in second place. My wife was the first to Jim Pittman, 3d place rider. "I just rolled off the throttle like Eli and Dan and wham I'm down!! What happened?" was what he said to her. I was the first person to Mark Gulin in 4th, "What happended, did Jim chop the throttle?" was what he said to me. If Eric is still spreading that story, I would be very disappointed in him. Troy341

·
Registered
727 Posts
might have pics......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts