Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys!

Brought my bike in from a short ride today and decided to give her a a good washing when I found a nail in my rear tire. Just the head is visible almost flush with the surface of the tire and 3" off center.

The question is: is it safe to go ahead and plug this tire like I would on a car?

Thanks in advance!

G

·
hammockjockey said:
Hey, Guys!

Brought my bike in from a short ride today and decided to give her a a good washing when I found a nail in my rear tire. Just the head is visible almost flush with the surface of the tire and 3" off center.

The question is: is it safe to go ahead and plug this tire like I would on a car?

Thanks in advance!
dont know so i would be taking it to the dealer and ask them as well as what you did is post here ...'

i think it would be un-safe

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would absolutely not plug it if I was U!!! That is just a disaster waiting to happen. I know it sucks to have to get another tire, but beleive me...WHEN you go down, you will be spending way more $$ than if you were smart and bought the new tire in the first place!
If it were me and the bike was my only means of transportation, then I suggest putting the patch on the inside, like RussZTT suggested. However, I would do it only on a temporary basis, until I was able to get the new tire, though. Just my 2 cents. Be careful and good luck!

Reactions: Chriscrct
G

·
hammockjockey said:
Hey, Guys!

Thanks in advance!
i would like to add contact the company who makes the tire and ask them. they will give you the deal. just to be sure

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are going to take the time to take the tire off and patch it, you might as well put a new tire on. Otherwise you will be taking the tire off the bike twice. If you have the time, go for it. It's a PITA to me!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ive ridden on 2 different tires, both with plugs, for a combined milage of over 7k and I have not had a problem. Slow, fast, crazy, mature. It was ok.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
it should not be a problem, but most people will tell you better safe than sorry.
If you do slow riding it should be no problem. Check it now and then and stay with the speed limits.
Its not like you live in Cali anyway, put a new one next season, otherwise if you put a new one now it will be already somewhat aged by next summer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn, a new rear tire with 60 miles on the bike!!

Oh, well. I agree with the general concensus, better safe than sorry since my @ss is literally riding on it.

And back to the stealership we go!!! LOL

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
The bike shops here won't patch it but they will take it off for you and you can take it to a car tire dealer where they will patch it. Then you take it back to the bike shop and they will put it on for you. I have a buddy that did this and it cost him about $20 total. 2,000miles later and the tire is still holding up on his 954RR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.