Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but is it safe to plug or patch a rear tire with a nail in it. I noticed the nail yesterday and called the local bike shop. they told me I had to replace the tire. I think they my be BSing. please help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Replace the tire. A few idiots will say "just plug it, I plugged mine and 2000 miles later I'm still riding." But, I'm not going 40mph+ with a plug thats for sure!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I have plugged my tires so that I could still ride until the UPS man brought me the new rubber. I didn't run hard through the twisties, but I did check the air pressure all the time to make sure the plug was holding good pressure. It also depends on where the hole is in the tire and what size of hole it made. Mine was a wood staple, so it was very small, even though you have to make it bigger when you plug it....... ah you know what I mean.

Just be careful and smart.....
You will get a number of different answers on yes or no, but it is up to your confidence in the plug.

Rob

·
Registered
302 Posts
no shop will plug a tire because of the liability. thats why they told you to replace it. i know quite a few people who run plugs and they dont have any problems. one has even run a plug long enough for it to come out and he said his tire went flat without him even really noticing until he went to turn. i replace mine though. each to his own.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i had two nails in my rear tire and i used plugs, but I didn't plug from the outside. I took it to the shop and had our local mech plug them from the inside with the wire and patch. It gets completely sealed from the inside with a patch which is about the size of a golf ball. The wire goes in the hole and the plug is around the wire. You could probably buy the patches in a shop. I just took it to him and he has a bunch. Awesome seal and had no problems with it. Everyone i know around here has done the same thing and i haven't heard nothing bad about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts