Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up, i need some opinions from you guys. Ive sorta been reading this board for a while, kinda lurking, whenever i getthe chance. I really wanna get a bike. I plan on getting an older 600. Yes yes i read all those stickys about how a 600 is no joke and what not and those are really good reads btw. But honestly, im gonna be really careful and take it slow. But im more concerned about my wieght, as wierd as that sounds..

I only weigh like 120 pounds and im about 5'5 ish. Kinda a skinny dude....im not a weak dude or anything so dont get me wrong, im just a little concerned that i dont really weigh enough to "muscle" around the "little" 600. heh.

I really DONT want to here that i should get an sv or soemthing. I really wanna get a 600. Like honestly, im gonna take it really really slow and easy and wont push myself beyond the point of feeling comfortable. im a careful guy and ill be using a car as main use of transportation.

tell me what you think!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Originally posted by ZackyFarms:
im gonna take it really really slow and easy and wont push myself beyond the point of feeling comfortable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's good to hear. There are many new riders who take the power for granted, act stupid and you know what happens next.
BUT, the more notable reason for a new rider not to get an overly-powerful bike is that they're not as forgiving should you make a mistake. Should you not control your throttle properly while in a hard lean, or panic and go hard on the throttle, the bike can be out from under you before you know it. On a smaller bike, the mistakes can be corrected before it's too late. So it's good that you're planning to be careful...but you can't plan to safeguard against uncontrollable things that new riders are bound to do.

You can shoot the messenger though because my current bike is my first (all my dirtbiking experience doesn't count, IMHO). I started on my Gixxer 600 and have loved it since day 1.

I'm about 6'1, 185lbs and the Gix fits me fine. Once it's moving on its own, it turns like a feather. What you should be more worried about is dropping it in your driveway, or lowsiding in a very slow corner. The bike feels MUCH heavier when it's moving slowly. Keep in mind that they weigh over 425lbs wet. Think you can pick it up after it's fallen?

Along with the bike's characteristics, you also have to worry about your surroundings. From experience, I can tell you to look out for sand on the road. And after a rainstorm, be careful when riding over manhole covers (frickin' slippery!). Plenty of other tips, but you'll learn them on your own in no time.

I suggest you don't narrow your choice just yet. Take some safety courses, get an idea of what handling a bike feels like, then sit on and try as many as you can. But if it comes down to an SV or a Gixxer, I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

[ 01-26-2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Brolo ]

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
i weigh in at 125 and stand 5-7", 5-8"ish and ride a 750. have looped oneor two in my time anhd can pick it up on my own.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
one shouldnt be so opposed to suggestions be it sv or not. have you ever rode on an sv?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Want a GSXR600 as your first bike ?

read this clicky, clicky

Then explain why you are different to everyone else that says that they will be cautious, and then promptly fucks up and wrecks their bike within a year

150 bikes sold to newbies, almost all of them wrecked within a year.

A GSXR600/750/1000 or any supersport bike is a lethal weapon in the hands of an inexperienced rider.

Almost all new riders drop their bikes at least once - that will be $600 please to replace just one piece of plastic.

Then there is the throttle response, the brakes, and the "pointyness" of a modern sprtsbike.

All in all its an expensive, and potentially lethal choice.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Originally posted by nudiepix:
So, what was the question?
If you could pick it up?
Or, if you would be able to turn it well? what?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the point he's making is that orientals are strong.
(j/k)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, thats a good point. I dunno like i totally can understand with all the precautions you guys give and i do honestly take em serioulsy. But like everyone has to learn right? i mean i know you guys are pros n what not but you guys had to learn somewhere too. And like now im thikning about just getting an sv or something. But like understand what im sayin sorta? i know there are people that have learned on gxrs n stuff. But i mean its good you guys are given warning n what not, its obviously for a reason.

My question was mostly my concern with my weight being around 125lbs. Would i be able to control a bike properly?? also, are there any other small bikes that look better than the sv? like i dont mind NOT getting a gsxr but what about liek a kawi or something, i dunno. just thinking out loud. i guess if anything ill proly get a sv or an older gsxr6 but right now im lookin pretty hard at the sv. it seems cool but the looks arent the greatest..

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
zack check this out the sv can look cool
bikes that earn you respect
Dont worry about your weight too much all you have to do is balance the bike which is easy providing you dont slip on any oil or uneven ground just remember wear your gear and keep the shiney side up

[ 02-02-2003, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Ryan ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts