Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could this be right? Are there any legit wet weight comparisons that have been posted yet? Both my bikes are now stock, and I am not kidding when I say it feels to be at least 20 lbs. lighter than the K5.

I took them for a spin back to back and although I'll save the exhaustive review for another time, the power of the Gix is awesome. However, I think the 10 has much better front end feel - which is likely because you're seated very far forward and right over the front wheel.

When are the comparo tests coming out?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also noticed my K5 feels at least 15lbs heavier than my 04 Dodge Durango, and that's with a HEMI!!! Can this be right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think do to the smaller tank on the ZX-10 , the narrow tank gives the Kawi a lighter feel then the Gsxr.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Wet weight according to the German PS magazine is ZX 198kg, Gix 200kg, and R1 203 kg (Blade is a fat pig, can't remember exactly). The Gix has biggger tank and radiator volume, not sure about oils.

Nigel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Can be tires, can be suspension , can be anything, and yeah Zx-10 doesnt have steering damper.
I'll go with that; steering damper and the crazy reciprocating (spinning) mass inside the K5 will probably make it feel like a little heavy. On the other hand, I don't hear much complains about head-shakes after front wheel touchdown

I'll go with the steady porky K5 than a flickable nerve-wrecking ZX10 (both stock)

Of course, most of these problems can be solve with $$

·
Registered
980 Posts
As you said it's a feeling. I have now a gixxer and have driven the 10.
The 10 is an awesome machine but has one problem and that's so nervous. Try to push it in rainy conditions and you have a good idea about behaviour in extreme conditions. It so short that it really lacks stability. Accordng to me it's a bridge too far. Look at the new ZX6 and you know what I mean. Kawa changed the 6 for that reason. It has a longer wheelbase then the 10.
Also, setting a 10 up for racing seems to be a hell of a job, let alone for street use. And because of power transfer it shreds tires like paper.
There is so much in the phrase 'power is not without control'

Changing your suspension will gives you another feeling. But according to me it's damn fast in a controlled manner.

Trusting my suspension guy (endurance pilot an test pilot for MV) who has done the review on Eatern Creek I can only admit what he told me beforehand.
For him it meant the best perfroming package in the litre class. It was the first time that he felt such a power and control on a stock bike. And still less involving then others.
Only the suspension is lacking quality. It is not built for track trashing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Use your ZX10 for an anchor and use the insurance money to go buy another GSXR. I am not a fan of any Kawasucki product, and when they screwded up the 10 it makes it worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts