Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend.

Saturday practice went pretty well. Did some suspension adjustment and basically went 4 seconds faster than my fastest race lap last month without trying terribly hard. Felt good... really making some progress and having a lot of fun on the 6.

Sunday was a bit of a mess. Showed up to Registration and they managed to have put me in the wrong race... Heavyweight Novice. No problem... we'll get that taken care of. Then they accuse me of filling out the paperwork wrong and it's all my fault. I object... politely. The lady goes to get my form to show me I'm wrong and "Can't find it". Whatever... no biggie. Let's just get me in the right race. After a mess they end up gridding me near the BACK of the 2nd wave in Middleweight Novice. I was PISSED. Fuck-it... nothing to do now, let's go racing.

After all that mess I ended up missing the 1st practice but didn't even care... I was very comfortable with my pace in Saturday practice so I was ready to go. Made second practice and then began the wait till race 14.

Here's the fun part. I was still gridded for Heavyweight novice too!! Ah, what the hell... I'll run both!!!

First race Middleweight Novice; Gridded 43rd 3 or 4 rows deep in the second wave. Time to punch-in and go to work. Basically, got a decent start and started picking guys off left and right. 2 laps in I'd probably passed 10-15 guys and was actually into the first wave already and feeling GREAT. Red Flag. Shit. Shit. Siht.
Race was regridded and I had to do all that again but only had 4 laps till the checkers. Basically did the same thing and kept it on hard for 4 laps. Not enough time to finish that high but Hunter counted me at like 23rd or something. Not bad. Felt good, had fun... went fast. Not sure how fast as neither my lap time or my transponder worked. Shit. Oh-well.. I knew it was faster than practice but I won't ever know 'How Much' faster.

Second race Heavyweight Novice; Gidded 31st on the front row of the 2nd wave. Shit. This should be interesting, me on a 6-Hundy in a drag-race to turn one with a bunch of liter bikes. Flag drops and I holeshotted the hell out of the big-bikes. Nice!!!
About 4 guys 'Horsepowered' me between turns 1 and 2 and I got 2 or 3 of them in Turn 2. One of the guys was pretty damn fast so I went to work chasing him and he and I quickly caught the first wave. We went to work picking guys off and haivng a ton of fun doing it. A few times I thought I'd actually get the guy... showed him a wheel a couple times but he wasn't having it. No biggie, we were passsing a lot of bikes. I think actually had more fun in the Heavyweight Race. There was less traffic and it was soooooooooooooooo much fun chasing Liter-Bikes into 8 at Willow (WFO 6th gear right hander...) and then when they roll out of the gas I'd go round them on the outside on my little 6. Gawd, what a great way to learn to go faster through there... I had no choice if I wanted by a bike with 50 Hp on me.
I ended up in 12th in that race and obviously well into the first wave in the short 6 lap race.

Overall it was a really fun weekend. I think I made more progress this weekend than last month so that felt really good.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support. Especially TrackDaz and Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a blast bro.. good for you
Yup. Had a great time... espcially cosidering I started the day pretty upset with my grid position. I preregistered for the race really early just to avoid ended up gridded where I was last month only to end up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay farther back. That really sucked. Overall it ended up great though.

Next month I should be in a position to challenge for the front of the Middleweight Novice. My lap times are good enough for top 5 or so. We'll see...

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Sweeeeeeet!!

Way to adapt and overcome.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Quig--did they screw up your transponder numbering too? They don't list you as having any laps complete on MyLaps.com.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quig--did they screw up your transponder numbering too? They don't list you as having any laps complete on MyLaps.com.
Yeah, I just saw that too.

Honestly... I have no clue. I guess I'll have to re-register it again next month. What a drag.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good job Quig. I was the one right behind you in the mw novice race. I tried to catch up to you on the last lap in turn 9 but you had a sweet drive, and then you were gone!!!!
Mike? Right?

Yeah, we had a pretty good battle out there... I think I got you in 3 before the restart and I guess in 9 after? It was funny... in my pit after the race a couple of the guys asked me if I had pissed someone off in the first start because they saw you and I exchanging gestures coming off the track. I told them "Hell no, we weren't pissed! We were having a blast!!"

It was good racing with and meeting you out there man. Hope to see you next month.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya it was a blast. I was'nt pissed at all. Its racing. I was more like DAMN THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yea it was fun having Quig back there to give me the incentive to go faster I could not let him pass me. I was 9th in the first wave but after my shitty start was last into turn 1, I then started working on passing guys going into turn 1 and outside of turn 2. Quig was catching up to me but in 6 laps never got past me. The scoring was all jacked up cause they had him placed 12th and me way behind him even though he never got past me. Im just happy he was in the 2nd wave cause He would have checked out on me had I not got a head start!

It was a blast hanging with the boys! Cant wait to get the hell out of Novice!

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
Yea it was fun having Quig back there to give me the incentive to go faster I could not let him pass me. I was 9th in the first wave but after my shitty start was last into turn 1, I then started working on passing guys going into turn 1 and outside of turn 2. Quig was catching up to me but in 6 laps never got past me. The scoring was all jacked up cause they had him placed 12th and me way behind him even though he never got past me. Im just happy he was in the 2nd wave cause He would have checked out on me had I not got a head start!

are you sure he didn't pass you? i had you in like 25th or so place, he was in front of you.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

are you sure he didn't pass you? i had you in like 25th or so place, he was in front of you.
Yup. Sorry Chris... Got ya on the inside going into 3. Not sure what lap.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quig... where the hell do you find 4 seconds on a track you basically live on???????

I hate you so very much

Congrats man - Glad you did well out there!
Thanks!

I think it's all about twisting the throttle back in Turn 8...
It's kinda hard to make yourself REALLY get on the gas in 6th gear with your knee basically on the ground but I'm getting a little better at it.
At those speeds there's a lot of time to be gained in that one corner alone. I also got some help from a guy there setting up people's suspension. I immediately went 2 seconds faster with a couple suspension adjustments and felt a lot more comfortable.
Throughout practice I found another 2 seconds...
Also made it easier considering I just plain haven't been going that fast...

Willow is a weird place to go fast... and I'm just beginning to really enjoy the place and feel comfortable pushing it a bit. I sure wish I knew what I was turning in the races... especially the Heavyweight race. I felt like I was really moving.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't let Quig fool ya......it was my Pep talk I gave him....

Good job Matt....
Good seeing you and the rest of the GDC crew again..
Hey, every little bit of encouragement helps... Thanks Greg, it was good seeing you back at the track too... now all we have to do is get you back on a bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.