Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would ask the ladies on this one........My beautiful wife of 17 years and three wonderful kids wants to get a bike. :frantic.....she is 5' 6" and weighs in at a whopping 125lbs soakin wet with marbles in her pocket....should I get her a 250cc ninja or a moped? I am afraid that even 250cc is a lot of power for her wieght and no expeience...Of course she will do a safety course prior to getting a bike....Your input is greatly appreciated...Thanks Ladies

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i'm 5'6" 120 lbs and the 750 was my first bike. however i kinda had an idea how to ride before i purchased it. i'd recommend her getting a 250 if she doesn't have any experience.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure those marbles are in her pocket?
:shifty

um yep checked for a tuck slipped in there somewhere........lol

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm 5'6" 120 lbs and the 750 was my first bike. however i kinda had an idea how to ride before i purchased it. i'd recommend her getting a 250 if she doesn't have any experience.

granted my harley weighs more but she struggles with the weight of holdin it up, and shes "scared" of the bike :frantic

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm her exact height/weight. I started on a Ninja250 (2009) last summer after taking the MSF course. First time I'd been on a bike was the MSF course. I think the Ninja is a great bike to start out with. I wouldn't be worried about it having too much power. It does have good power in there, but you don't accidentally open it all....it's a very forgiving bike.

·
Met up with MotoJoe and Toejam and came home Butth
5,523 Posts
Does she know how to drive a manual? Most people get on bikes who never ride one and have never driven a manual have no idea how a clutch and manual transmission work. It might help if she doesn't to explain to her before letting her ride. Just one of my pep peeves since my gf wants a bike but doesn't know how to drive a manual.

A 250 is a great bike to start on and u can buy a used one pretty cheap plus u could prob sell if for what you bought it for once she moves up to a different bike.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Used 250 Ninja :thumbup Easy to ride, non-intimidating and still fun :) Just don't buy a new one, it loses value the moment you roll it out of the dealership and even more first time it falls over in the driveway - which it most likely will... ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
My wife and I have been trying to figure this out as well. She is 5'2" and 105lbs. We were actually looking at the Ninja 250.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
...should I get her a 250cc ninja or a moped? I am afraid that even 250cc is a lot of power for her wieght and no expeience...Of course she will do a safety course prior to getting a bike....Your input is greatly appreciated...Thanks Ladies
If she wants to ride, get the 250. I think a moped is a waste. She'll be fine. I had people lining up to buy my Ninja 250 when I was finished with it. If you can find used great, but at $4000 new you can't really lose a ton of money on it. Most everyone drops the bike at stops, driveways, etc. Just accept it and go forward. I think after lots of time on the 250, she could make a jump to the GSX-R600 (even though I had others in between). Especially with the ability to tune down the engine on the fly on the new ones.

The class will teach her what she needs to get started. Knowing how to use a manual transmission isn't needed. A bike is too different from a car to really matter. Just do lots of parking lot experience with just letting the clutch out then back in. My husband taught me while I was waiting for the class, and his mantra was "the clutch is your friend". Just don't rush it.

My husband and I are having a blast riding together. Go for it!!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
My wife and I have been trying to figure this out as well. She is 5'2" and 105lbs. We were actually looking at the Ninja 250.
I'm 5'1" & started on the 250 just fine. Depends on the length of her legs. So long as the balls of her feet are on the ground & she knows she needs to watch for dips in the road, it works great.

·
I have NO balls....
963 Posts
MSF course to see how she handles herself on a bike then together you can decide what size is best for her.

Personally I started out on a ninja 250 (love florida laws which allowed me to get endorsed at 15 :biggrin) but grew out of it fast. I will say for someone as small as your wife that would be a great 1st bike.

I could also recommend the SV650

·
Registered
255 Posts
I rode a 250 twice before jumping on a 600...I was quickly bored with the 250 about 2 times around the subdivision bored with it...although it is a very forgiving bike...send her through the course and see were her comfort and skill levels are...just my .02

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I rode a 250 twice before jumping on a 600...I was quickly bored with the 250 about 2 times around the subdivision bored with it...although it is a very forgiving bike...send her through the course and see were her comfort and skill levels are...just my .02
Kat, was that a Ninja 250? I wasn't bored with mine after a year & 7000 miles; just ready to move towards a full on sportbike. I know there's lots of different comfort levels, but hard to imagine someone completely new to riding being bored on a Ninja 250 quickly. The Ninja's downside is on freeways. Not fun with that light of a bike at high speeds, although the new ones have wider tires that will help.

Seeing where she is after the course is good. Unless she's as impatient as I was :biggrin.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It was a ninja 250 but I rode dirtbikes when I was younger so jumpin on a streetbike was no big deal for me really besides the idea of concrete verse dirt...my dirtbike had more pep then the ninja I rode...

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
It was a ninja 250 but I rode dirtbikes when I was younger .
ah-ha, thought maybe you'd ridden before.

wish i'd had the sense to hop on my brothers dirtbike when i was a kid. maybe i'd have started this kick ass fun a few decades earlier :hammer

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the 250 ninja is a great idea. I got one last year for a first bike and I loved it. I had never ridden a bike before, so I took the MSF and rode around everywhere-It's a great little bike. I'm actually getting my gsxr 600 k7 Friday, but I'm so glad that I started with the 250. Good luck! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts