Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes this was taken at 1am ill post a better photo this weekend. just excited to see it coming together

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Nice looking racebike! Too nice for me, I have shown a propensity to throw mine down. Doh! What years do they let in? Here in Washington (WMRRA) they have the cut off at '90 for the Early HW GP class, which has been buttloads of fun for the last three years. The rules here are pretty liberal, we've had a full on superbike from '90 in and last year a GSX-R1100 won the class after I wadded my 750. He probably would have won anyhow, he was fast. I'm in the process of shoehorning an 1100 into my 750 for that class. When I get the bills from the last few years paid off I'd like to go back to try to better my 2 second place years. Yep I'm jealous. Troy341

·
Super Moderator
17,408 Posts
Nice ride Wiz..
I'm digging the colors.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that class in wera is V^ i race in V7 has to be a pre 96 bike.

yea im thinking of a 7/11 myself.

i thow them away often also, but ive sure have learned how to paint from it heheheheh

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Nice bike mate.
i am jealous

thanks for sharing it

Andy

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
[envy]

I really wanna get my hands on another olldskool bike and go racing with it... that one looks sweet.

...maybe if I hang around at WMRRA events this sumnmer Troy will let me drool over his 7/11...

[/envy]

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Looking good AND in service!!! Nice ride.

Just curious, but how do the lap times of the old skoolers compare to the new beasties? I'd be curious as to how a properly modded old skooler did in comparo to the new (post 96 750s etc).

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im going to jennins NFMP on the 15th ill let you know what my lap times are and what some of the others are.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
I don't know what the lap times were in the day, but on my '89 GSX-R750 at Pacific Raceways in Seattle, I can turn a 1.36 and on an R6 I can lap it in 1.33. The R6 weighs 390 lbs in race trim and has 99 hp. The GSX-R weighs 440 and pumps out 100 rwhp. They were weighed on the same day and dynoed on the same day, both on pump gas. This what you were looking for? Troy341

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good info bro dam where is that 1100 motor for a 7/11

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by 341:
I don't know what the lap times were in the day, but on my '89 GSX-R750 at Pacific Raceways in Seattle, I can turn a 1.36 and on an R6 I can lap it in 1.33. The R6 weighs 390 lbs in race trim and has 99 hp. The GSX-R weighs 440 and pumps out 100 rwhp. They were weighed on the same day and dynoed on the same day, both on pump gas. This what you were looking for? Troy341
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, thanks 341, you got it! Is Pacific Raceways the new name for SIR??? Three seconds, that would be pretty much the diff between superbike and 600 supersport on that track, wouldn't it??

Last time I saw an old skooler out there (years ago) it was running superbike...it looked pretty damned stock, down to the exhaust of all things. Was about 7 - 8 seconds off the pace. Perhaps he was actually running in supersport with the big bikes????

My guess, correct me if wrong, is that the R6 would be better all around, ie brakes, accel and handling. Do you have to shift your head around a lot when jumping off of one onto the other???

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Hey BCJohn, Mike Sullivan runs within a second on his R1 Formula Unlimited bike and his Supersport R6, I think that he still has the record. I race the GSX-R in Early HW GP, which ahas only one rule, earlier than '90 manufacture. NO modification or displacement rules. It is a fun class. The owner of Eastside Motosports had his '90 full on superbike out there until it ate a titanium valve. Yeah there is a bit of rearrangement required between the old and new bikes. The R6 is really magic on the brakes, wait, wait, wait, now!!! Doh! Still too early and it was way past the GSX-R brake marker. The 50 lbs is a big difference, I'd get off the R6 and think that the 750 was broke. P.R. is doing a lot of clean up and remodel. Hopefully it will be nicer than it has been.
I am looking for a blown 750 motor to scavenge the tranny, clutch and head off of. If any one knows of one let me know please. Thanks. Troy341

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
341, thanks for the info. Still have to get my head around our 'old' bikes as being vintage
!!

It does sound like one helluva fun class. Probably a LOT cheaper than the VINTAGE vintage, ie old Brit stuff....ka-ching $$$$$$

All the best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts