Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our gixxer.com SRAD expert pulled my motor last weekend to see why it was still making a clacking noise.
We had tried replacing the cam chain and guide, and that didn't work, so we replaced the cams, chain, and crankshaft posistion sensor from a known good motor, and it still made the clacking noise.
So he dropped my motor, and then pulled the head. It turns out the #4 Rod bearing is messed up. Luckily the piston wasn't hitting the head though. Also, I guess I was blowing a lot of oil past the rings.
SO, I need the motor rebuilt. New crank and rod bearings, new rings, new valve guide seals.
Poor bike

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Hey dont worry... She will be better then new when I get done with her...

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Hey dont worry... She will be better then new when I get done with her...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK, OK, I'm not really worried about my bike, I know you'll do an excellent job fixing her up.

Maybe I should have titled the post

My Poor Wallet

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The question is how much power do you want??

I can clean it up and make it run good no problem.. You want more power and we can talk about ways to do that too...

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
The question is how much power do you want??

I can clean it up and make it run good no problem.. You want more power and we can talk about ways to do that too...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What exactly do you have in mind? Leaving the center part of the head gasket out?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yes if there is room.. I have to find out if there is enough room to remove it and not have the piston hit the head.

John

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
dang ratman that sucks.... how about just a new motor? I mean with all the labor it might be easier to buy a motor and just drop her in... then you could part out your motor as is and make some $$ back (like sell your motor to me
since I am goign to get a SRAD 600 frame and put a 98-99 750 motor in it
)

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
man...thats the shits..how many miles??oil changes on a regular schedule?? suzukis usually have a bullit proff bottom end..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well he is going to get a killer deal on labor... But I wouldnt trust a used motor without tearing into it anyhow... Just MHO...

Also, When the motor goes back in it will be like new again...

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, if I get a used motor, I have no idea how it has been treated and how long it will last.

Nice try though, jp233!

The bike had about 17,000 miles. I've heard that the #4 bearing is usually the first to go because of oil starvation due to wheelies, which is odd, because my wheelies are never very high or long, and I always keep my oil filled to the high mark.

John, could it be that a piece of that gasketmaker shit that the shop used when they changed my clutch got into the motor and blocked and oil port, and that's why it happened?

[ 05-07-2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: ratman69 ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yes it could be from that... But to prove it might be hard. I will see what I find and I will keep an eye out for anything funny like that...
It sucks that people would use something like that....

This is a GOOD reason NOT to use gasket maker in your motor.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts